Clothes list for 10 day SA trip

• Thread starter Deleted member 40394
  • Start date
Delta cattle class 200/201 allowed a carry on and a personal item—so I carried a carry on and a backpack. United and Ethiopian Air we’re both a little more specific about what the personal item was as to size (I flew United in June of 2021and Ethiopian I November. I agree with others you already have too much on your list. A fleece jacket was all I’ve needed in close to fifty days in RSA during late May, June and July. If sitting blinds or night hunting a few more layers would be wise! If you have any intention of taking your own firearms or ammo, you will need checked luggage. But I’ve always taken a rolling case hard sided because it’s nearly indestructible and I have a love for ostrich eggs and small breakable trinkets, so the foam lined hard case that locks is invaluable to me. United and delta cattle class allowed two checks and Ethiopian allowed one without additional cost. Have fun planning.

5 pair Merino socks -3 pairs socks
5 pair boxers -3 boxers
5 tee shirts -2 t shirts
Neck gaiter-lightweight -pick one gaiter or the other unless you're night hunting, then the fleece might be good to take as well.
Neck gaiter-fleece
Gloves-Sitka gradient -a pair of gloves is always a good idea, personally I would take leather for extra protection when crawling on a stalk
Hiking shoes-wear on plane -I would add another pair of hunting shoes, they can double as camp shoes.
2 base layer pants-Sitka -I may be used to the cold but I wouldn't take any unless hunting at night, then I would only take one.
2 base layer shirts-pnuma - I wouldn't take any, layering a reg. shirt, hoodie and jacket is easier to remove as necessary.
2 pair of pnuma tenacitypants -2 pants is plenty
1 pair cqr pants- wear on plane -of course you have to wear pants on a plane
Nomad solid hoodie-wear on plane -first layer over shirt in the morning.
Nomad solid lightweight long sleeve-plane -
Sitka jetstream jacket -I have the impression that most Sitka stuff is pretty warm so I would maybe leave that home. Fleece jackets are my favorite in moderate temps.
Mid layer nomad long sleeve
1 hat-plane
1 mossy oak cap
Under armour stocking cap -definitely a good idea. I wish I had taken one to Namibia for those cool morning drives.

Make sure you have 2 shirts to rotate hunting in. I haven't a clue what any of that Nomad stuff is so I can't really comment. For reference though, I hunted in regular button up shirts from Goodwill. I have a cheap fleece pullover for over that in the mornings, and a Polartec zip up fleece for over that for the drives and really early stalks. The Polartec was always off by 8am. Granted this was Namibia in early September but your day shouldn't be too cold and what I had would have been fine even hunting in the 50's.

Having clothes that never move from the shelf or suitcase just seems wrong and unnecessary when you have daily laundry. Around camp clothes can be anything, nobody cares what it looks like or if it's the stuff you came over in or will even hunt in. Also, remember that if you pick up any
knickknacks, you'll need room to get them home.

Whether Africa, Europe, or South America my drill is the same. I get cleaned up after arriving in camp following the afternoon hunt. That can be important in remote areas where it is useful to see if something is occupying the shower with you. :oops: I always bring a couple of long sleeve T-shirts, casual pants, microfleece sweater and light slip on shoes for the fire, bar, dinner and whatever afterwards. I like to hunt in shorts in Africa, but long pants can be a necessity if a cold snap hits - particularly in South Africa. I typically bring two shorts and one long set of pants. I normally bring three hunting shirts - long, short, or a mixture depending upon the area. I also bring a second travel shirt. Most journeys tend to offer an opportunity to clean up before arrival.

Cotton is one of the great inventions of the fifth millennium BC. I despise the new synthetic technical saran wrap in Africa. Microfleece in the early morning and evening is my one welcome concession to modern hunting clothing in Africa.

Two pairs boots
Two shorts
One longs (not blue jeans)
One slip-ons shoes
One cotton T shirt, either for fireside or under shirt
Two cotton long sleeve dark green shirts
One oiled canvas jacket, Driasabone or Burke Wills
3 underjocks, three thick socks.
Oiled canvas elastic gaiters, not laces Burke Wills
Brimmed hat and also a cap for back of bakkie.

You can wear your hunting get up on the plane, no need for another set.

When I first hunted in Africa I took far more than I needed;. Below is my current list. I stay two weeks to a month nearly every year and never needed more. The camp does laundry daily so there is never a shortage. If there was, I can go to a store to buy something but that has not happened yet. By taking so few clothes I use the space and weight to bring over gifts and to return with items I buy. I have not worn long sleeves or long pants in Africa in 15 years. That said, I'm from Alaska and the cool nights there are quite comfortable.

4-5 socks, shorts, t-shirts, including the set I wear on the plane
Two short pants, wear one on the plane
Courtney Selous boots—wear on the plane
belt
Gym shorts
Slippers
Light fleece jacket for cold mornings
One button down shirt for restaurants
hat

Last edited:
Pick and choose from the above posts, all comments are typically right on. Your list is Waaaay to much. I have been to Africa 9 times, and each time I bring less and less. Travel lite, laundry is every day…not a style show in the bush…cooler temps disappear as soon as sunrise. You are not relocating there permanently as your list reflects. Remember you are already wearing one set of clothes traveling, 2 more sets should suffice. If you are using the outfitters rifle you can pack everything you need for ten days in a carryon with room to spare.. leave the long Johns and heavy outerwear at home it is not Alaska. Laundry is done in the morning and back in your room that afternoon. So what you wore that day and that nite is clean and ready for you the next afternoon.

I am a planner so it’s 7 months prior to go time. I plan to pack a carry on and bookbag only.
Area:Bedford
Hunt month:July, laundry done daily
clothes pack list:
5 pair Merino socks
5 pair boxers
5 tee shirts
Neck gaiter-lightweight
Neck gaiter-fleece
Gloves-Sitka gradient
Hiking shoes-wear on plane
2 base layer pants-Sitka
2 base layer shirts-pnuma
2 pair of pnuma tenacitypants
1 pair cqr pants- wear on plane
Nomad solid hoodie-wear on plane
Nomad solid lightweight long sleeve-plane
Sitka jetstream jacket
1 hat-plane
1 mossy oak cap
Under armour stocking cap

what would you add or take off this list?
Hhhmm,

We just had a hunter leave he was with us for 16 days. He brought a light day pack and a carry on bag and room for gifts on his return home.You are really bringing a lot!

Seriously if this Is your first trip to Africa. He a bit of a journal and write down what you really need.

Just my opinion from doing this a few times, you could cut way down, if you wanted to. 3 sets of anything is plenty, they do laundry daily unless you are extremely remote or spending the day traveling.

I take 2, plus what I'm wearing of socks, underwear, pants and shirts. Wear boots, take another set, then paperwork and piles of cash. If you have paperwork, boots and money, you can hunt.

Have a great hunt and make sure to give us a report.

Last edited:
This is for RSA with towns and stores available. I vacuum pack all my clothing, then leave a lot of it for the trackers/skinners/camp personnel. After seven trips up to a month, if I didn't take rifles, I could go for a fairly long time with just a carry on and small backpack, probably a quarter of what's on the OP's list and I hunt in camo and at night. Also, underwear is traveler lightweight stuff from Magellan or Amazon. Another option is buy your clothing there and leave it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 10.38.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 10.38.15 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 75
Plane
-jeans
-socks
-olive polo
-belt
-half zip top green
-crocks
-boxers

Day pack
-Cotton Shorts khaki
-Cotton pants khaki
-olive cotton long sleeve
-olive T-shirt
-socks
-boxers
-fleece coat green
-light Gtex rain shell green
-toiletry bag and meds
-hunting boots
-gaiters
-mechanic gloves
-ball cap
-headlamp
-book2x
-phone charger and converter

Carry on small duffle
-Cotton Shorts khaki
-Cotton pants khaki
-olive T-shirt
-socks x2
-boxers
-wool sweater green
-fleece vest green
-fleece beanie green
-multi tool

Just my opinion from doing this a few times, you could cut way down, if you wanted to. 3 sets of anything is plenty, they do laundry daily unless you are extremely remote or spending the day traveling.

I take 2, plus what I'm wearing of socks, underwear, pants and shirts. Wear boots, take another set, then paperwork and piles of cash. If you have paperwork, boots and money, you can hunt.

Have a great hunt and make sure to give us a report.
This.

And after four trips I've yet to need or take an extra set of boots. Mine go in my carry on so I know they'll arrive. Otherwise I'm wearing travel shoes and I have a pair of Teva sandals in my luggage for around camp, light hiking, etc.(not a Croc fan). I could cut out the travel shoes, but I prefer to not wear my boots on the plane.

Crocks for after hunt and the plane are my number one item! I’ve been on 20+ safaris and everyone that comes with me brings them the second time!
Crocs?!? :oops:

I'll be the first to agree I am not trying to make a fashion statement - but damn - crocs! You'll be wearing those knee high black socks next. :E Angel:

Plane
-jeans
-socks
-olive polo
-belt
-half zip top green
-crocks
-boxers

Day pack
-Cotton Shorts khaki
-Cotton pants khaki
-olive T-shirt
-socks
-boxers
-fleece coat green
-light Gtex rain shell green
-toiletry bag and meds
-hunting boots
-gaiters
-mechanic gloves
-ball cap
-headlamp
-book2x
-phone charger and converter

Carry on small duffle
-Cotton Shorts khaki
-Cotton pants khaki
-olive T-shirt
-socks x2
-boxers
-wool sweater green
-fleece vest green
-fleece beanie green
-multi tool

They let you take a multi tool in a carry on?

I am a planner so it’s 7 months prior to go time. I plan to pack a carry on and bookbag only.
Area:Bedford
Hunt month:July, laundry done daily
clothes pack list:
5 pair Merino socks
5 pair boxers
5 tee shirts
Neck gaiter-lightweight
Neck gaiter-fleece
Gloves-Sitka gradient
Hiking shoes-wear on plane
2 base layer pants-Sitka
2 base layer shirts-pnuma
2 pair of pnuma tenacitypants
1 pair cqr pants- wear on plane
Nomad solid hoodie-wear on plane
Nomad solid lightweight long sleeve-plane
Sitka jetstream jacket
1 hat-plane
1 mossy oak cap
Under armour stocking cap

what would you add or take off this list?
Justin,
I would take the socks and underwear down to 3 and add another pair of boots or hiking shoes. I would also talk to the outfitter about expected temps. I think you may be a bit over packed on cold weather stuff.
this is a great start and it is not too early to be working on this. I find being prepared on packing, guns, and gear way ahead of time helps me to be more at ease when it gets close to time to leave home.
thanks for sharing this.
Philip

Don’t forget your meds, vitamins, Pepto … some folks have a hard time consuming rich game meat each day & chap stix … serious, chap stix.

I probably had a starting list similar to Justin's list when I started prepping for my first ever hunt last year to RSA, which would have resulted in 2 checked bags. I would revisit and weed out items periodically and got everything down to one suitcase. I had two sets of hunting clothes, triples on underwear, t-shirts, etc. One zip up jacket, light gloves, light beanie hat, ball cap, etc. I did only bring a single pair of hunt boots but with extra laces. Next trip will wear hiking boots on the flight and stow hunting boots in checked bag. I wore jeans on flight over, which later suffered a tear at the crotch, ditched those and wore my hunting pants back home. I used a backpack for my carry-on. I didn't feel that I shorted myself on clothing (brought long underwear and never needed it, trip was in late April), felt like early Fall temps that we have here in southern Ohio.

Don’t forget your meds, vitamins, Pepto … some folks have a hard time consuming rich game meat each day & chap stix … serious, chap stix.
I have all of that stuff ready. Including melatonin, jet lag medicine, Benadryl, 2 plugs for Africa, 2 chargers, noice canceling head phones, neck pillow, cortizone, etc. 2 chap stick tubes.

I have all of that stuff ready. Including melatonin, jet lag medicine, Benadryl, 2 plugs for Africa, 2 chargers, noice canceling head phones, neck pillow, cortizone, etc. 2 chap stick tubes.
Either take some antibiotics with, or ask your PH what he has. But have something for travelers Diarrhea such as Azithromycin. And nice to have Doxycycline available in case of tick bite fever....

Not sure if it was mentioned yet. Spray your clothes with Permethrin!

Don't forget small gaiters!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaBlohm

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!