Close Quarters With A Crocodile

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Tonight , on African Hunting Forums ...
I hope to share another article with my fellow forum members , concerning a rather ... " Gripping " reminiscence of mine .

I shall be writing about an incident in my career ,that involves the 1 creature from India's " Dangerous 6 " ... which claims the largest number of human lives in South East Asia , every year . Perhaps , the only creature among them all ... which could truly be labelled as , " Malicious " .

The Crocodile . Yes , the Ganges River Crocodile . For these saurian brutes display sadism in manners ... which almost puts the Devil to to shame .

Let us wind the clock back , Dear Readers ... to February of 1969 .

Below , I have provided a photograph taken by myself of a Ganges River Crocodile ... Which I had dispatched on another incident , as a reference . The photograph of the particular brute , who is the villain of today's story ... shall be revealed at the climax of this 4 part article .
Screenshot_20191225-011624_01_01_01_01_01_01.png

It was a Tuesday , when I was called to the head office of Allwyn Cooper Limited by Mr. Vidya C Shukla . I was called to meet the client ... Whom I would be assigned to guide this week . When I walked in to Mr. Shukla’s office ... I was personally introduced to my client by Mr. Shukla . He was a gentle man , hailing from South Dakota in America . The gentle man had booked Allwyn Cooper Limited’s “ Double Fur “ package with us . He wanted to secure the following game animals :
> A Bengal Bush Boar
> A gaur bison

These were certainly demands which Allwyn Cooper Limited’s could accommodate ... and I was more than glad to act as the gentle man’s professional shikaree . He was polite , cheerful and friendly . A most laid back gentle man , who was easy to approach and get along with . I decided to take a look at the gentle man’s armaments .

He had brought along only 1 rifle . It was a Winchester model 71 lever rifle ... albeit a highly customized 1 . It was not chambered in the standard .348 Winchester calibre . It was chambered for , what the gentle man referred to as a “ Wild Cat “ calibre . This meant that the cartridge was not a commercially manufactured 1 ... but rather 1 of the gentle man’s own design . The gentle man proudly showed me 1 of the rifle’s cartridges and gave me all of the details . It was of .450 calibre and weighed 400 grains . The cartridge itself was based on the .348 Winchester calibre and was loaded with 63 grains of propellant powder . The gentle man affectionately nick named this cartridge the “ .450 Kodiak “ . He had expected it to deliver a velocity of 2140 feet per second . He told me that he was a gun smith and that he wished to test the potency of his creation against a Bengal Bush Boar and a gaur bison . He had successfully used it against American elk , moose and Kodiak Bears with a great degree of success . The gentle man had brought along 60 cartridges : 30 of them , were soft point cartridges . 30 of them were solid metal covered cartridges .

Normally , I would feel extremely apprehensive about letting a client use an experimental calibre ( of their own design ! ) on dangerous game animals ( especially gaur bison ) . However , some thing about the way this gentle man carried himself ... told me that he was a reasonable gentle man , who knew exactly what he was doing .

I told the gentle man that we would 1st try the rifle’s potency on the Bengal Bush Boar . If the calibre successfully flattened the Bengal Bush Boar ... then we would “ Kick things up a notch “ and try the rifle out on a gaur bison . My client agreed .

Truth be told , deep down on the inside ...even I was curious to see how this “ Wild Cat “ calibre would perform .

2 days later , our shikar party was off to the out skirts of Nagpur ... intent on securing a Bengal Bush Boar . Our shikar party consisted of myself , Ponual , 3 coolies and our client . I carried my “ Old Belgian “ ... which was loaded with my hand loaded Eley Alphamax magnum 3 inch “ High Brass “ spherical ball cartridges . Ponual carried our client’s customized “ .450 Kodiak “ calibre lever rifle . Our client wore a canvas waist belt , containing 20 soft point 400 grain cartridges . Our coolies carried a folding chair for our client , butchering knives , salt ( for the purposes of preserving the pork from the Bengal Bush Boar ) and refreshments . We did not require any trackers to accompany us on that shikar . This was because Bengal Bush Boars were ( and still are ) so numerous in the out skirts of Nagpur ( and indeed , most parts of India and Bangladesh ) ... that 1 could easily find entire sounders of them , with completely no effort whatsoever . We were all driving through the country side , in my Land Rover Series 1 ( with me , at the wheel ) ... when we came across an entire sounder of Bengal Bush Boars .

I stopped the Land Rover Series 1 and turned to the client . “ Sahib “ I said . “ It is time for you to take the shot . Aim for the largest 1 . “ My client took his “ .450 Kodiak “ calibre lever rifle from Ponual and stood up , on the back of the vehicle . He raised the rifle to his shoulder ... Taking aim at the largest ( and the most imposing looking ) of the Bengal Bush Boars . He pulled the trigger and a loud gun shot rang out . The 400 grain soft point bullet completely smashed through the Bengal Bush Boar’s right shoulder , with the force of a freight train . The brute just completely gave up . It dropped to the shot . Needless to say ... Ponual , the 3 coolies and I were mightily impressed with the jaw dropping power of the “ .450 Kodiak “ calibre .

We waited for the other Bengal Bush Boars to move off ... before we sent the 3 coolies to collect the corpse of the fallen Bengal Bush Boar . A post mortem revealed that the 400 grain soft point bullet had opened up perfectly inside the heart of the Bengal Bush Boar ... creating a mightily impressive wound channel . Our client ( being ever the scholarly person ) took out a diary and a ball point pen ... and began to make notes of the effects of the 400 grain soft point bullet , on the Bengal Bush Boar .

Our client was an extremely generous gentle man . He kept only 1 ham and a few pork shoulder chops for himself ... while donating the rest of the fresh meat to our hard working coolies . The head was kept separately ... because the gentle man had requested a full head mount done to the head of the Bengal Bush Boar .

I was curious to see how the “ .450 Kodiak “ calibre would stack up ... against a mighty gaur bison . In 3 days time ... we were to find out .

Below , I have provided a photograph taken by myself of a large group of Bengal Bush Boars ... Which we ( Allwyn Cooper Limited’s professional shikarees ) once had to dispatch , as part of a culling program in Kooch Bihar .
Screenshot_20191207-014801_01_01_01_01_01.png

3 days later , our shikar party was in the forests of the Maharashtra state ... all ready for our gaur shikar. Our shikar party consisted of myself , Ponual , our client and 4 coolies . I carried my “ Old Belgian “ loaded with my hand loaded Eley 3 inch Alphamax magnum “ High Brass “ spherical ball cartridges. Ponual carried our client’s “ .450 Kodiak “ lever rifle . He also had an Indian Ordinance Factories .315 calibre bolt rifle , slung across his shoulders ... which was loaded with 244 grain soft point cartridges . Our client wore a canvas waist belt , containing 20 solid metal covered 400 grain cartridges. The coolies carried a folding chair for our client , butchering knives , refreshments and wood working tools .

Now , a gaur is 1 of the only 2 members of the Indian animal kingdom ( the other being , the Indian elephant ) ... which can never , EVER be hunted by way of beats . If you ever attempt to hunt a gaur by having beaters attempt to flush it out , towards you ... Then , it simply WILL NOT work . The gaur shall attack the beaters , straight away . That leaves stalking it , or ambushing it near a water body ( when it comes to drink water ) .... to be the only feasible methods of hunting a gaur bison .

We had resolved to build a macchan on the top of a tree ... over looking a small stream . My local knowledge in regards to this portion of forested area ... told me that gaur bison would daily come to the stream ( during the late noon ) to quench their thirst . My plan of action was to have our client shoot the gaur ... as it came to drink water from the stream . Even though I had seen positive results from the “ .450 Kodiak “ calibre lever rifle being used on a Bengal Bush Boar ... I was hesitant to take any risks with a gaur bison . These brutes commonly weighed in excess of 2000 pounds and were unmatched in terms of aggression . I did not wish to put my client in harm’s way ... especially since he going to use an experimental rifle to do the job . Just because the rifle worked splendidly against a 300 pound Bengal Bush Boar ... was no reason for me to feel overtly confident about it being used against a gaur bison . My precautionary measure would later end up averting a great deal of disaster ... as I was soon going to find out .

Our client and I stayed on the top of the macchan ... while Ponual and the 4 coolies all opted to climb up nearby trees and stay there . Our client now had the “ .450 Kodiak “ calibre lever rifle in his hands .

3 hours had passed . During this time ... quite a few gaur bison had come to drink water at the stream . However , since they were all immature or cow gaur bisons ... we opted to let them drink water and leave the area unmolested ( We are hunters , after all . Not butchers ) . Finally , we saw a large bull gaur slowly coming towards the stream . Well ... large would be the under statement of the year . It was the largest gaur bison which I had ever seen in my life . It was a full 11 feet long and 6 feet tall ( No joke ! ) . The brute came near the water and lowered it’s massive head ( with those curved Kirpan dagger shaped horns ) to get a drink . I whispered to my client , “ Sahib , take him in the soft part ... behind the shoulder . “ My client nodded nervously . I could tell , just by looking at him ... that he never quite anticipated a bull gaur to be this terrifying in proportions . He nervously raised the rifle to his shoulder , and took aim . What happened next ... could have gone a whole lot worse , had we both been on ground level with the gaur .

The client pulled the trigger . A loud gun shot rang out ... As the brute roared in pain . Fortunately my client did not stop shooting . He worked the lever again and again ...as he sent bullet after bullet in to the gaur’s shoulder . He did this 4 times ... before the magazine was completely empty . The gaur had fallen on to the ground , in pain ... Only to slowly begin rising to it’s feet once again . I frantically shouted to my client , “ Sahib ! Re load the rifle ! Shoot him again ! “ .

Now , anyone of my Dear Readers who has ever had to load a rifle or a shot gun which is equipped with a tubular magazine ... will readily be aware of the fact that a tubular magazine is not the easiest thing to re load , when the operator is pressed for time . To my client’s credit ... he was extremely swift at re loading 4 more cartridges in to the tubular magazine of his “ .450 Kodiak “ calibre lever rifle . In about 5 seconds ... he resumed shooting at the gaur’s shoulder . He put 4 more 400 grain solid metal covered bullets in to the gaur ... before expending his entire magazine once more . My client and I both stared in utter disbelief ... as the wounded , bloodied brute slowly began to struggle back to it’s feet once more . I felt dead certain that we were going to lose this gaur ... for sure . It would escape us ... only to die a lingering death in the forests of Maharashtra. However , my client proved to be a far more determined man than I . He hurriedly re loaded his “ .450 Kodiak “ calibre lever rifle with 4 cartridges , once more . Raising the rifle to his shoulder , once more ... He let loose once again , at the gaur’s shoulder . By the time he let off the 3rd shot ... The brutish gaur had finally breathed it’s last . My client had done it ...With 11 shots . 11 solid metal covered bullets ... each of which weighed 400 grains .

I proudly congratulated my client ... out of genuine respect for his sheer determination not to let the gaur escape in to the thickets , wounded . But my client looked a little sad ... as if he had won a pyrrhic victory . He lamented that it took him 11 shots to dispatch the gaur . He felt that his brain child was a failure . And then , there was the depressing fact that the stock of his rifle had split ... while he was repeatedly shooting at the bull gaur. However , I did my best to console him . I told him that his “ .450 Kodiak “ calibre lever rifle would be devastatingly effective upon royal Bengal tigers and water buffaloes ( I was being completely truthful here ) . I then went on to tell him that a gaur was the most thick muscled brute among all of the “ Indian Dangerous 6 “ ... and that this particular gaur made all other gaurs ( which I had seen in my 9 year career ) look petite , in comparison . The fact that my client had been able to dispatch it at all , with a rifle calibre of HIS OWN CREATION ... Was an accomplishment in and of itself. I then suggested that we conduct a post mortem ... in order to see the effects ( Or lack thereof ) , which those 400 grain solid metal covered bullets had upon the bull gaur .

Below , I have provided a photograph taken by myself of the slain bull gaur ... and my client’s brain child : The “ .450 Kodiak “ calibre lever rifle . Ponual can be partially seen in the back ground , clutching his Indian Ordinance Factories .315 calibre bolt rifle .
5FC35B1F-8AFB-469E-AC06-A55A39204714.png

We climbed down from the macchan ... and I ordered the coolies to commence field dressing the gaur . This ... They dutifully began to do . Unfortunately, the bull gaur had dropped dead ... roughly 6 feet away from the water of the stream . And a very particular predator lurks near all of the streams of India . A predator which can disguise itself ... as the most nonchalant looking rock , and use this ability to it’s advantage .

I should have foreseen it sooner . That is why , when 1 of the coolies began screaming in blood curling pain ... I already knew what had happened .

A crocodile had gotten ahold of a coolie ... By the leg . And it was dragging him in to the water . All Hell broke loose .

Last edited:
A crocodile was one of my favorite hunts! Waiting in anticipation to read this!

The poor coolie was screaming in pain ... As the crocodile was dragging him in to in to the stream . The other coolies had acknowledged the presence of the brute ... By bolting away from water , as fast as their legs could carry them . I rushed towards the water ... Snapping my “ Old Belgian “ up to my shoulder . I took aim at the head of the crocodile ... My point of aim being right between the brute’s 2 eyes . However , I was hesitant to shoot , just yet ... out of fear , that my bullet might end up hitting the coolie .

I got within 6 feet of the brute and pulled my left trigger . The 1 ounce spherical ball of hardened lead blew clean through the skull of the Ganges River Crocodile ... Laying it low , on the spot . Ponual and my client rushed to aid me ... in getting the screaming coolie’s bloody right leg free from the crocodile’s vice like mouth . We finally succeeded . The poor fellow’s Achille’s Tendon had been badly damaged , but the crocodile’s teeth had not been completely able to completely sever it . Despite the disconcerting depth of his leg wound ... The coolie’s injuries did not look , as if an amputation of his leg was requisite . In deed ... The doctors were able to save the coolie’s injured left leg . However , he was forced to rely upon a crutch for the rest of the year . Considering what had happened to him ... We all regarded him to have been relatively fortunate . Had the Ganges river crocodile not been shot to death , in time ... The coolie would have ( in all probability ) ended up losing his leg ... or worse ; His life .

Below , I have provided a photograph taken by myself of the slain Ganges river crocodile ... which had given us quite the nasty surprise , during this shikar .
Screenshot_20191225-011146_01_01_01_01_01.png

A post mortem conducted on the bull gaur’s corpse revealed that those 11 400 grain solid metal covered bullets fired from my client’s “ .450 Kodiak “ calibre lever rifle ...
had a very marginal effect on the brute . The bullets had broken the bull gaur’s shoulder ... Yet only 1 of them had managed to penetrate in to the brute’s heart . But only just . The copper covered lead cored 400 grain bullets had encountered significant distortion . All of them . Even the only 1 from those 11 bullets , which had ( barely ) managed to reach the gaur’s heart ... was badly distorted . The copper “ Jacket “ had been completely ruptured ... and the lead interior could clearly be seen , jutting out .

My client proved to be an extremely generous gentle man . He individually tipped each and every member of our shikar party , and even visited the hospital ... to meet with the injured coolie ( Using me as an interpreter , to communicate with the coolie ) . He gave the injured coolie 500 Rupees and asked for his forgiveness ... because he believed that the coolie got attacked by the Ganges river crocodile , while attempting to serve our client .

Later that night , Our client enjoyed some excellent flame grilled steaks from the freshly hunted gaur bison , with us ... on the roof top of Tobin’s house . I personally enjoyed a lovely porter house steak of gaur beef ... flame grilled to a rare doneness , along with a baked potato and a great deal of chive sour cream . To my mind , enjoying a lovely roof top grill / barbecue and a few bottles of Stout beer with friends ... is 1 of life’s simple pleasures .

My client discussed the performance of his “ .450 Kodiak “ calibre lever rifle on the gaur bison ... With me . He asked me for tips ... as to how ( I personally believed that ) the performance of his “ Wild Cat “ calibre rifle could be improved , so as to ensure more successful results on gaur bison .Tobin and I , then told him that he was already half way there . All he had to do ... Was to keep running some more experiments . We advised him to design a calibre utilizing a 500 grain bullet ... Instead of a 400 grain bullet . But also to ensure that the velocity was not lower than 2120 feet per second . We asked him to avoid using American walnut wood stocks ( Such as Claro wood ) on large bore rifles ... because these woods are among the more open grained woods , and thus likely to split eventually due to recoil . We advised him to opt for English , French or Turkish walnut woods ... when designing his rifle stocks , as these would hold up far better to recoil , in the long run . We then advised him to replace the copper covered lead cored bullets ... with steel covered lead cored bullets , such as the solid metal covered bullets ( which were ) offered by the American Hornady brand ( Hornady used to offer some of the sturdiest constructed steel covered solid bullets , during our time . Practically guaranteed NEVER to distort . Unfortunately , Hornady no longer enjoys the same stellar reputation among shikarees of dangerous game animals , today ) . Finally , Tobin asked him why he had opted for a lever action platform ... to build his dangerous game rifle on .

The gentle man replied that he was a “ South Paw “ ( Which refers to someone who is left handed , just like I am ) .... And that he found it difficult to operate most bolt action platforms ( Back in those days , the Savage Model 110 was the only bolt rifle ... which used to offer a left handed variant ) . Tobin and I then told him to experiment with lever actions , such as the Winchester Model 1895 or the Savage Model 99 ... which employed conventional box style magazines . This would enable him to utilize cartridges loaded with round nose bullets , in his rifle ... Without needing to worry about the “ nose “ of 1 cartridge , hitting the primer of the cartridge right before it . This was because cartridges in a tubular magazine fed weapon ... Are always loaded horizontally , in to the tubular magazine .

The gentle man listened considerately to all of our advice ... while making notes in his diary . I have always found myself wondering whether he ever actually got to perfect his “ Wild Cat “ calibre . I certainly hope that he did .

I sincerely hope that this article of mine has proven to be passably enjoyable .
I shall write my next article on African Hunting Forums after 2 days ... If the Lord be willing .

THE END

Last edited:
It’s interesting for me to see mention of the model 71, my dad has several in 348 Winchester. They seem like solidly built firearms.
Question for you on hunting areas during this time frame, were hunting areas set up similar to concession areas in Africa today? or were you hunting on private land? or community land?

Great story major. It seems as if if your client had chose a tougher bullet he may have had a more harmonious outcome.
It was most fortunate you were able to stop the crocodile in time.
Why thank you so much ... Master Smith . What genuinely impressed me about my client ... was that he was truly innovative . Had he used that rifle against even the largest royal Bengal tiger , water buffalo or Asian Sloth Bear ... Then , I have no doubt that he would easily succeed . The fact is that gaur bisons are some of the thickest muscled brutes in existence ... on God’s Green Earth .
A 500 grain bullet , propelled at a velocity of 2120 feet per second ... would have made short work of the gaur .

It’s interesting for me to see mention of the model 71, my dad has several in 348 Winchester. They seem like solidly built firearms.
Question for you on hunting areas during this time frame, were hunting areas set up similar to concession areas in Africa today? or were you hunting on private land? or community land?
Perhaps this may interest you , 375Fox
They are the 1st 2 pages of my copy of our “ Professional Shikaree’s Book Of Rules & Regulations For Uttar Pradesh “ ( 1967 - 1968 Season ) .
D467CDD2-54C8-4C94-B7C9-01305DB642FF.png

D8E6F4A3-760B-4CC1-888B-46C58156F87E.png

We used to utilize “ Hunting Blocks “ .

Great hunting tale. Sounds like a huge Gaur. I expect that the smell of the blood brought out the croc. How long was the croc? Good shooting on dispatching croc. Thanks
Bruce

Great hunting tale. Sounds like a huge Gaur. I expect that the smell of the blood brought out the croc. How long was the croc? Good shooting on dispatching croc. Thanks
Bruce
Why thank you so much , Bruce ! The crocodile was rather small . It only had a nose to tail measurement of just above 9 feet 3 inches .

Perhaps this may interest you , 375Fox
They are the 1st 2 pages of my copy of our “ Professional Shikaree’s Book Of Rules & Regulations For Uttar Pradesh “ ( 1967 - 1968 Season ) .
View attachment 347067
View attachment 347066
We used to utilize “ Hunting Blocks “ .
What would a hunting block size be?

You may find this interesting as well, probably one of the few videos of Gaur hunting (but not in India)

What would a hunting block size be?

You may find this interesting as well, probably one of the few videos of Gaur hunting (but not in India)
Well ... I would have to say 6 miles , 375Fox .
This is a most nostalgic video indeed . Let me commence watching it , right now !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
propercapsules

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!