Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Republic of CongoNamibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Went to Idaho steelhead fishing 2 times this year. Took a few pictures on the way back. Thought some of you might enjoy seeing them. This is between Lolo Pass and Kooskia Id. This is where Lewis and Clark almost starved to death. Enjoy Bruce
MMarshall-2016-03-18-061.jpg
MMarshall-2016-03-18-025.jpg
MMarshall-2016-03-18-028.jpg
MMarshall-2016-03-18-039.jpg
MMarshall-2016-03-18-053.jpg

You're killin' me Bruce, just killin' me!

I lived in that area for a couple years in the mid 70's. Worked for an elk outfitter out of Weippe who sub contracted for an outfitter in Kooskia, (pronounced as Koosky), called 4th of July Creek Outfitters.. worked in the hunting camp for two seasons wrangling and packing and occasional guide work. Our base camp was on Kelley Creek. Its beautiful country. Nice pictures!

I have been to Lolo pass many times! In fact my favorite steakhouse in the Missoula area is Guy's Lolo Steakhouse. It's a giant log cabin structure with an indoor open pit grill.....you watch the cook making your steak just tight.
That pass is simply beautiful. How was the fishing?

Beautiful pics!

First trip the fishing was very good. I landed 28 fish in 5 days. Last trip they were messing with the water at Dworshak. I got 4 in 4 days? Only saw 2 other fish landed while I was there. Just were not biting. Debating going over to the Salmon in the next 6-10 days....... Maybe.. Bruce

First trip the fishing was very good. I landed 28 fish in 5 days. Last trip they were messing with the water at Dworshak. I got 4 in 4 days? Only saw 2 other fish landed while I was there. Just were not biting. Debating going over to the Salmon in the next 6-10 days....... Maybe.. Bruce

Okay Bruce we need some pics of those big red sides.

It is pretty country.

WOW ! Now that is some pretty scenery .
Glen

Hi Phil. I'll get some pics up of fish in a couple of days. I'm away from my computer that has those on it.. Bruce

Great pics... Thanks for sharing. I will be there for 2 weeks in June. Hopefully, I will catch some of the salmon fly hatch.

Upper river there will have the "springer" salmon in. Those can be fun. The trout with the salmon fly hatch can be fantastic! Bruce

I have been to Lolo pass many times! In fact my favorite steakhouse in the Missoula area is Guy's Lolo Steakhouse. It's a giant log cabin structure with an indoor open pit grill.....you watch the cook making your steak just tight.

CA,
We love that Steak house! That's our favorite place to eat in the entire Bitterroot Valley. It's hard to beat a big rib eye on the open pit with a cold pint of Moose Drool... You gotta love a place that usually has deer walking through the parking lot when you drive in....(y)

Yep and I like the fact that the roof poles were cut and prepared off that property!

Finally got around to a few pics for you Phil... Those are about 13-16 lbs or so. Those were last year, but representative of size and color of the fish.
P1020042.JPG
P1020050.JPG
P1020066.JPG

Were those catch and release or did you cook them up on the bank?

Love the one in the last pic, he'd be on my wall for sure! How far from Orofino were you?

Love it!!!! That's awesome man!

The Clearwater hatchery is right behind me in the background on those pic. Last pic you can see a few bldgs if you look close. That is Orofino itself. Orofino is spread out along the river and to the north along a creek. We kept these fish. All have clipped adipose fins. If they have a adipose ( fin on back just in front of tail) on them then they must be released and you are not to take them out of the water. That trip I caught, I think, 23 fish in 3 1/2 days. Kept 7 or 8. The daily limit is 3 and your possession limit is 9. Season limit is 20. I have on occasion kept and eaten one that night at the hotel room. If I have a stove available to me.... Bruce

Thanks for the pics Bruce, makes me homesick. I grew up in that area and miss it every day down here in Houston!
Cheers,
Cody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattieHayw

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,