Clearwater/Lochsaw River Idaho

The Clearwater hatchery is right behind me in the background on those pic. Last pic you can see a few bldgs if you look close. That is Orofino itself. Orofino is spread out along the river and to the north along a creek. We kept these fish. All have clipped adipose fins. If they have a adipose ( fin on back just in front of tail) on them then they must be released and you are not to take them out of the water. That trip I caught, I think, 23 fish in 3 1/2 days. Kept 7 or 8. The daily limit is 3 and your possession limit is 9. Season limit is 20. I have on occasion kept and eaten one that night at the hotel room. If I have a stove available to me.... Bruce

Wondered if that was Orofino in the background. I fished there only once, right below the dam. Between 4 of us only one fish caught in two days. Everyone using that rig with the "straw" bobber some guy there in Orofino made. I wonder once in awhile if he's still around there.

Hi Cody. Maybe you and Phoenix Phil ought to get together and drive up next year..... I'm sure we can catch some fish Bruce

Jimmy Dodge makes the bobbers and customs steelhead jigs. Still around. Has had a number of strokes, but still keeps on a workin. Bruce

Sounds good to me! I still have property southwest of Bozeman and get up there several times a year. One day I will be a permanent fixture up there again.
Cheers,
Cody

Jimmy Dodge makes the bobbers and customs steelhead jigs. Still around. Has had a number of strokes, but still keeps on a workin. Bruce

Yes, I do think I remember that name. Lived in a small place up on the hill on the opposite side of the river if I remember correctly. Quite a nice rig that you could easily set depth of the jig with. I do think we put shrimp on those jigs if I remember correctly.

Some people do use shrimp. I have also used roe. Caught one of my larger fish that way. 38 1/4 inches... Now adays we use a bead. Usually a 10 mm one. Occasionally a 12-14 mm one. Dumbest thing. Cheaper than the jigs and generally as effective. Peg the bead 2-3 inches above a hook. Crimp on a sinker and your ready to fish..... Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!