Cleaning up a 270 WCF chamber and rebore 318, 350 Rigby, 9.3x64?

Muskox

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Namibia, Australia, Spain, Germany, all over the United States
My father bought me a Ruger Express 270 WCF that from what he says is in great shape.

We are returning to the United States after many years of living in Europe and Australia.

He buys a lot of guns from widows from church, and normally doesn't look at them much or haggle. If the price is fair, he pays them and moves down the road. This was part of a huge collection, and he asked me what I'd like out of it. So along with some other items, this one came up as interesting.

First off how much steel do I need around the bore for a rebore. I have no interest in another 270, I have other nice ones and this one deserves to be something truly safari capable.

I am leaning towards the 318, but I think the barrel would have to be set back.

Is the Ruger standard length receiver long enough for a 350 Rigby?

What about the 333 Geoffries?

I'd say go with the 333 Jeffery, I have one and it is a beaut to shoot with the 300gr bullets.
And its different... :D

I have no idea of the action/magazine length on that rifle - and as much as I'd like to have a 333 Jeffery or a 318 WR - there are very few bullet makers to be found. Woodleigh, maybe Hawk.

Shame to see an express get molested but would certainly be cool in an old classic cartridge.

Are you considering a rebore of the original barrel or a new barrel. The rebore is a crapshoot and in my opinion, a waste of money so new cartridge, new barrel. The re-borer has no idea of what's under the existing bore and will make no guarantees. You may want to read what this company advises. Aside that, those cartridges are outliers and as posted, small selection of bullets available.
You'll also need another bolt as the head diameters are different than the .270.

http://www.cutrifle.com/reboring.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Hogpatrol.

I think JES reboring still exist as well.

@cmk, the Ruger express are on the 30-06 sized action.

Thanks for the link Hogpatrol.

I think JES reboring still exist as well.

@cmk, the Ruger express are on the 30-06 sized action.

I don't know if the Ruger is a center feed or staggered maggazine but you'll probably have to modify the magazine to take the fatter shells.

I had Dan at Classic Barrel and Gunworks rebore a .35 Whelen to a 9.3x62. It is worth looking into if you have a barrel with features that would be expensive to reproduce like a machined quarter rib, half round/octagon etc. I wasn't having much luck getting that rifle to shoot 250gr bullets as a Whelen but it did just fine as a 9.3x62.

The Ruger Express is one of the few Ruger products where I would indeed consider such a project. They would cost Ruger a couple of thousand + USD to build today - much less price at a profit. And they look very African ready. (y) I suspect the challenge with the rebore will be in the barrel rather than the chamber. It is a pretty big step from .27 to .33 caliber or larger (as I am sure you know the British .318 WR is actually a U.S. .33) . However, Ruger built the Express in .338. If they used the same barrel contour for the mid-range rifles (like they did the DG version) then that may not be an issue. .318 WR ammunition can be made from 30-06 brass - so with a bit of set-back for shoulder issues, that might work. However, just the bullets alone are difficult to find for reloading. But that big 250 gr SP is a classic African solution to plains game. IF the barrel contour is adequate, the 9.3x62 might be the most practical conversion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you