AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NHSA, SA Wingshooters, SA Hunters
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia
Hi Guys

What to know from some of the local guys if anyone has experience with CLAW bullets on buff?

500 gr 470 NE.

(Not the Trophy bonded bear claws I know they work.)

Cheers

Hello @Roan

We've hunted numerous buffalo with the CLAW bullets, and personally out of experience I can say you will make a good choice.

However, personally I don't think you can shoot a better bullet than a Swift A frame on a buffalo. Its what i use in my 470. for solids i prefer the Dzombo's of which i have 7 years experience using it in my own backup rifles, and believe its probably the best solid for big game on the market.

Its very important when going to hunt buffalo, not to use bullets you don't know, or to go test. Always use the tried, tested and proven bullets on big game, or in this case to talking to the AH community, which helps a lot!

Hope this helps.

Happy hunting

Hi

Thanks for info!

I have shot the Claws a lot just not on buff.

I am between them or Stewards.

Both regulate nicely in my gun.

I also like A Frames but they don't regulate in my rifle.

The other choice is a DGX they regulate O.K.

Hi

Thanks for info!

I have shot the Claws a lot just not on buff.

I am between them or Stewards.

Both regulate nicely in my gun.

I also like A Frames but they don't regulate in my rifle.

The other choice is a DGX they regulate O.K.

If it was me I'd use the CLAW bullets then, if A frames dont regulate.

I dont like the DGX that much, to soft.

Thanks a lot for help.

What do you load your 470?

I am on 106 gr S365.

Thanks a lot for help.

What do you load your 470?

I am on 106 gr S365.
Its a pleasure! Where are tou hunting?

I use S355, 94gr. Gets me up to 2200ftps. With that it regulates with my Aframes and Dzombos, and shoots both at the same place.

Heinrich should know he hunts a lot of buffalo!

Will give that load a try. Thanks.

Going to marble halls side.

Roan in my 450Ne and 9.3x74 the Aframes groups came together for great regulation loaded about 75-100fps faster than the factory DGS (450NE) or Norma for the 9.3. The bullet profile is different and you may need to bring the speed up a bit.

Thanks will give it a try!

My experience with Claw bullets (made in SA) is that they are alright for close distance (less than 75 meters) shooting and or for use on the range but I could not get a decent group with my 375 H&H or my 404 Jeff with them (sub moa at 100 meters) and a couple of my friends experienced the same.

In my mind and experience they are inconsistent, not only in the over all length of the bullet but the crimping groves are also not consistent so good luck settling on a specific length and trying to crimp them all in the crimping grove because that's not going to happen.

The Claw bullets sometimes open up great and sometimes not and I have even seen a couple with complete copper and lead separation and they are suppose to be bonded.

If I had to choose a couple great South African made bullets, Peregrine, GS Custom and the late Ken Stewert bullets (now produced by Hansie Minaar) are at the top of my list and even Rhino bullets but yet again they are also inconsistent at times (although the old stuff was great).

Then again if DG is on the menu rather go for the tried and tested stuff if you have not tested the above mentioned bullets. Stick with Swift A frame, Barnes TSX and Woodleigh etc.

Thanks for the feedback.

I decided to go with Stewards, they regulate just as well as the claws.

The old Rhino were super!

New stuff is crap IMO. Cant get them to group on any of my rifles, were the earlier stuff work 100%.

I have got some Woodleighs coming but they wont be here in time for my hunt.

Cheers,

Thanks for the feedback.

I decided to go with Stewards, they regulate just as well as the claws.

The old Rhino were super!

New stuff is crap IMO. Cant get them to group on any of my rifles, were the earlier stuff work 100%.

I have got some Woodleighs coming but they wont be here in time for my hunt.

Cheers,

Good choice boet.

Darren, don't blame the fact that you can't shoot on the Claws man! :p

I use a hell of a lot of Claws in my 404 and am quite happy with their performance.

I shot a young zebra stallion earlier this year with a 450gr Claw in the 404 and on a frontal shot it exited between the legs behind the penis.

But I would also use more expensive bullets on buff.

But in the end of the day there is no caliber for a crap shot.

Even if a 500gr soft loses 40% is still weighs more than a 300gr in 375!

Darren, don't blame the fact that you can't shoot on the Claws man! :p

I use a hell of a lot of Claws in my 404 and am quite happy with their performance.

I shot a young zebra stallion earlier this year with a 450gr Claw in the 404 and on a frontal shot it exited between the legs behind the penis.

But I would also use more expensive bullets on buff.

But in the end of the day there is no caliber for a crap shot.

Even if a 500gr soft loses 40% is still weighs more than a 300gr in 375!

Jou bliksem I was wondering when you where going to come and stuff up my post chat later boeta!

I actually found Claw a lot more consistent than Stewarts in my 9.3

But the Stewart Hi-Performer has built a steady reputation on DG.

Claw used to make a thick and thin jacket bullet on the bigger calibers, don't know if they still do.

But you can always shoot the buff again once its lying with a claw and dig it out and tell us how it did!

Enjoy the hunt!

Thanks guys.

So the Stewards did there job admirably!!

Followed up with DGS that also worked nicely!

DSC00058.JPG

DSC00060.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross