Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
All 6 Continents
After a an offer in "Classifieds" has sold, perhaps there could be a way to note that. "SOLD" across the advert would help. I often read 20 posts, eager to make an offer, only to find that the item is long gone.............just an idea......................FWB

Unfortunately this is just not possible.

Agree, sometimes you hopes get high follow by utter disappointment.

The seller can write the last comment in big bold letters "SOLD" or admin can perhaps lock the thread once the seller informed admin that it is sold,

Hopefully the seller has been polite enough to post SOLD in the thread if it is no longer available.

A suggestion to save you some time: Skip to the last post in the thread and see if it is sold before getting too excited.

Unfortunately this is just not possible.

In most forums, the author has full read/write capabilities and is obligated to edit their initial post description so the topic says SOLD. That's an easy forum change. Also, would be nice to have the ability so only the author can post rather than have comments in the advert.

Add those two features and I'll be happy to pay you per ad.

In most forums, the author has full read/write capabilities and is obligated to edit their initial post description so the topic says SOLD. That's an easy forum change. Also, would be nice to have the ability so only the author can post rather than have comments in the advert.

Add those two features and I'll be happy to pay you per ad.
The functionality of the classifieds on AH will remain since it has been working the way it is. AH is not like every other forum and it will never be because we care about the members of our community. Also easy enough for the seller to reply to the offer to indicate that the item has been sold.

The reason that I do not allow for members to have editing/deleting capability in the Classifieds after a half hour is because I do no want a seller to change the offer after the fact and so that the buyer in case of a dispute can refer back to the original post/offer. We also ask that images need to be uploaded into the post and cannot be hosted or embedded from elsewhere so that the original images posted are retrievable on the site. We also take the time to upload images in case the member did not originally do that in order to add a layer of protection for the buyer.

The intelligent solution to the dilemma is exactly what @BRICKBURN suggested and I quote:

Hopefully the seller has been polite enough to post SOLD in the thread if it is no longer available.

A suggestion to save you some time: Skip to the last post in the thread and see if it is sold before getting too excited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, would be nice to have the ability so only the author can post rather than have comments in the advert.

Forgot to address this, I disagree as addressing questions or commenting publicly in the Classifieds is perfectly fine and sometimes answered questions may be valuable to others.

I am not interested in riding herd on or supporting bait and switch commercial ads. The headache is not worth it.

AH Members can just sell their stuff for free and knowledgable members can comment on those offers. Crappy offers are weeded out rather quickly by the membership.

By not allowing changes to "the record" there is a history of prices and patterns that can be followed across the net. A little research can help expose shady offers and hopefully dealers.

On a personal note: I sent a request to Microsoft asking them to add more Apple functionality to their products. I have not received a reply. :E Confused:

The system you have works just fine. I have bought and sold items for seven years without problems. If I do unintentionally violate the rules, Jerome slaps my hand, I acknowledge, then move on. The longer you are here, the more members know what you have or want and will or can contact you direct, enabling you to do business directly with him and avoid the classifieds altogether if you choose!

Post it, then dicker through pm, post the results. Pretty simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg