Classic shotguns in Africa

Members, I am fortunate to received this beautiful classic side by side shotgun from a friend. Here are a few photos. This is a shotgun made by a group of Spanish gunsmiths, UNION AMERAS company.
SUTwhWQ.jpg
KWqxX9X.jpg
Jcx14Hf.jpg

Attachments

• Jcx14Hf.jpg
    Jcx14Hf.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 230
  • KWqxX9X.jpg
    KWqxX9X.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 238
  • SUTwhWQ.jpg
    SUTwhWQ.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 251
I would bring my late 70,s made browning BSS 20ga 3" sporter with SST-AE and 28" f-m barrels, I have owned it for 10 years and bought it from the original owners brother, it has been hunted every year since new and has thousands of shells thru it and is as tight as when new. Leslie.

DSCN0050 (2).JPG
DSCN0051 (2).JPG
DSCN0052 (2).JPG
DSCN0053 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Red Leg, I am interested in knowing more about your William Evans Paradox. When was it manufactured? Boxlock, hammer or sidelock? A round ball or Fosberry gun?

I just had my 12 bore Lancaster Colindian (oval bore) bores measured for a Fosberry mold and waiting for JJ to get the new pad on my Manufrance 16 bore Fosberry Paradox with ratchet rifling. I got the bug shooting my friends 12 bore H&H Super Magnum Paradox with the new H&H ammo. The most accurate double I have ever fired. I'm hooked now.

Mine is a 12 bore 1 1/8 ounce proofed boxlock designed for the Fosberry bullet. Ross Seyfried developed a load for it several years ago and it is more accurate than either of us can hold it. It can shoot about a 2.5 - 3 inch 100 yard 4 shot group (L/RxL/R). I have seen many double rifles that will barely do that at 50 yards. It shoots the modern factory Holland & Holland stuff into the same size group at around 60 yards, and a perfect pair of IC choked patterns with 1 1/8 ounces of n0. 6 shot. I'd have to dig up the ledger copy out of the files, but I believe it was built around 1912 - anyway, soon after the "paradox" name became available to the trade.

We got to the waterhole early afternoon to shoot leopard bait, and within an hour I had rolled two young warthog boars. Both decisive one-shot kills from around 30 and 50 yards respectively. Sand grouse were due within the hour, and we weren't sitting that evening for a cat, so had a great hour with squadrons of those buzz bombs before dusk.

Last edited:
I'd like to take a Shotgun to Africa next trip and if I can get fairly decent with either of my 20ga it may make for a fun day and maybe put a little food on the evenings table
pix436991898.jpg
the SxS is a Cheap old Savage /Stevens. The O/U is Italian made with selective and automatic ejectors and a Single trigger definitly the Lamborgini of the pair.
IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_20180120_000623.jpg
I ALWAYS have a shotgun in my battery for shooting for the pot. This is my trusty Beretta 12 Bore Over Under fixed choke shotgun ( 2.75 inch Chambers ) . Upper Barrel Modified Choke , lower barrel full choke. My battery has never been more than 3 guns ( usually l take two ) , but one of them is ALWAYS a shotgun.
My Maternal Grandfather with whom l go hunting ( and who got me introduced to the Noble sport when l was a kid ) , always uses two guns : A 7mm Mauser BRNO bolt Action rifle and a 12 bore Holland and Holland Paradox gun . His gun fires 2.5 inch shells for Paradox bullets ( which he uses for deer or antelope ) . For shotshells , he uses Holland and Holland's 1 ounce Royal game load . The good man has used #6 shot his entire life for EVERYTHING ( minus waterfowl , of course )
Sometimes , he takes only the Paradox for hunting.
I firmly believe that ( in my humble opinion ) a hunter should ALWAYS bring a shotgun with him .

beretta silver hawk light weight 20 ga 2-3/4 chambers with extractors and two triggers, a dream to carry and a good shooter. I shoot one oz #6 in mod barrel and one oz #5 in imp-cyl barrel.

DSCN1158 (2).JPG
DSCN1159 (2).JPG
DSCN1163 (2).JPG
DSCN1155 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very partial to SxS game guns and own a number of them. I think that a waterhole shoot demands a nice, lively British game gun. I am trying to decide whether to take my 12 gauge Henry Atkin lightweight spring opener or my 16 gauge Harkom.

Well, I have over a year to decide.

I brought a 1905 12 g Parker VH to SA in 2017, along with the 1956 Mannlicher-Schoenaur in .270. Didn't get to use the scattergun as much as I would have liked. I did shoot a brace of small quail on our last day. I shot with one of the guys I went along with had brought a cape gun. Good times.
Brian

I regularly hunt birds and shoot clays with a 1914 William Evans 12-bore boxlock on a screw-grip Webley action as well as a 1877 Westley Richards on a Model C action. Both has 30" barrels, the Evans steel and the Westley Damascus.

I'd like to take a Shotgun to Africa next trip and if I can get fairly decent with either of my 20ga it may make for a fun day and maybe put a little food on the evenings tableView attachment 217489 the SxS is a Cheap old Savage /Stevens. The O/U is Italian made with selective and automatic ejectors and a Single trigger definitly the Lamborgini of the pair.View attachment 217490

There’s a lot of memories for me in an old Savage/Stevens 311. While I never got to meet one of them, both of my grandfathers owned a 20ga SxS much like the one you’ve got pictured. I grew up learning to shoot dove with one of those and plan on taking it quail hunting with my brother-in-law this spring with a Fox that was left to him by his grandfather.

There’s something special about old guns. You put your hand on that old wood and feel a rush of history and nostalgia.

There’s a lot of memories for me in an old Savage/Stevens 311. While I never got to meet one of them, both of my grandfathers owned a 20ga SxS much like the one you’ve got pictured. I grew up learning to shoot dove with one of those and plan on taking it quail hunting with my brother-in-law this spring with a Fox that was left to him by his grandfather.

There’s something special about old guns. You put your hand on that old wood and feel a rush of history and nostalgia.

If I were to pick a shotgun for Africa the choice would depend on the type of shooting that I was expecting. If it would be similar to geese I'd go with a Winchester Model 21 12 ga 3" magnum. If for upland birds I'd go with a Parker 0 frame 16 ga. But then, I'm partial to SxSs.

(As far as the "built in antenna" chick--I think she has had her head banged on the headboard a few too many times) Concerning shotguns--I recommend a drilling, because you never know what you will encounter when leaving the sand grouse water hole after dusk. Saw one drilling with a rimmed nitro express cartridge, and I should have bought it. The other issue is shells--will they be available/will you be in a country that limits total rounds of ammunition? Probably no high volume shooting if that is the case. But man is it fun to try and catch up with those speed demon late coming banded sand grouse!

Last year, I used a beat to crap Mossberg pump and it was deadly. Hoping to use it again next year.
My shooting dropped off when I was handed a more expensive shotgun after the Mossberg jammed in the field and we could not fix it.

Jeff

Concerning shotguns--I recommend a drilling, because you never know what you will encounter when leaving the sand grouse water hole after dusk. Saw one drilling with a rimmed nitro express cartridge, and I should have bought it. But man is it fun to try and catch up with those speed demon late coming banded sand grouse!

Ok, this is not a "Classic African Shotgun", but it will handle every encounter after leaving the sand grouse water hole...

Krieghoff 9,3x74R 12 ga./12 ga. Drilling

DSC02513.JPG

:whistle:

HWL

For those that prefer engraving- and for those with more utilitarian tastes.

If I were to pick a shotgun for Africa the choice would depend on the type of shooting that I was expecting. If it would be similar to geese I'd go with a Winchester Model 21 12 ga 3" magnum. If for upland birds I'd go with a Parker 0 frame 16 ga. But then, I'm partial to SxSs.

Got a 3" M12 myself, built 1955 and is a Heavy Duck model. Great the way it breaks down

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross