Albert GRANT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, Ireland
So this is one you don't see often on here. There is always a lot of talk on classic rifle calibers and the 3 gun battery, but what about the shotguns? Do any of you still take one with you to Africa for the wide variety of birds? If so what would be ones you would consider classics for the continent? Certainly not looking at bringing or buying one, just taking up time while I wait out the last few days til my journey begins.

Interesting topic. And a worthwhile one for those of us who pursue feather as much as fur. My experience is that most big game camps don't have much in the way of shotguns. My favorite PH in Namibia is typical. He has Turkish O/U of indeterminate make, choked full and fuller, with trigger pulls best used with a block and tackle and a LOP less than 14 inches. That is, at least in my experience, fairly typical of the game concessions. A SA outfitter specializing in birds, of course, will have a totally different "loaner" battery. Waterhole shooting for sand grouse and doves is a blast. We try to do that at least one afternoon when in Namibia (not so much in Moz). I did bring my William Evans Paradox with me on one trip and had a ball on sand grouse and a pair of warthog from the same waterhole.

I'd love to take one. I'd say an O/U with 28” barrels, 3” chambers and multichokes. That would probably cover you for most things…

Should do everything from spur wing to doves with that.

(I’d say a B25 for choice but that’s just me ;) )

Scrummy

Interesting topic. And a worthwhile one for those of us who pursue feather as much as fur. My experience is that most big game camps don't have much in the way of shotguns. My favorite PH in Namibia is typical. He has Turkish O/U of indeterminate make, choked full and fuller, with trigger pulls best used with a block and tackle and a LOP less than 14 inches. That is, at least in my experience, fairly typical of the game concessions. A SA outfitter specializing in birds, of course, will have a totally different "loaner" battery. Waterhole shooting for sand grouse and doves is a blast. We try to do that at least one afternoon when in Namibia (not so much in Moz). I did bring my William Evans Paradox with me on one trip and had a ball on sand grouse and a pair of warthog from the same waterhole.
That very Turkish O/U you are talking about is now in Kosovo! I shot it at a make-shift skeet range about two months ago!

Lucky you! What a great idea to take the paradox and use it as it was designed and built for. Last time I went to SA, I took a Browning SxS 12ga with fixed chocks and did well on the very few birds (bad setups - long story). But next year I will take my Perazzi and hope to get in some better shoots. It's been over 40 years since I shot sand grouse in Iran but would love to do it again.

For me if I was to bring out it would have to be a SxS or O/U. Always been partial to a nice O/U but have recently come to appreciate the SxS. Would never be able to own one but the Holland &Holland pieces are works of art!

This might be something someone on here is interested in. I'm not in a position to get it, but you might be able to get it for a good price. I don't know much about it, but it looks pretty nice to me!
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/577363566

Shot some clays last year with the lodge owner who had a nice pump shotgun and it was a blast. I wish it were legal to bring in my vintage browning semi auto 12 ga. Now I could do some shooting with that rascal.

Nice vintage Browning BPS might be a good one ;)

Albert, a S/S is always a classic looking gun, I use both s/s and o/u , but prefer o/u on the pigeons for high volume shooting, with francolin and guinea fowl I prefer using s/s, especially when shooting over dogs.

@farrokhrt , sand grouse is a wonderful bird to shoot.

Shot some clays last year with the lodge owner who had a nice pump shotgun and it was a blast. I wish it were legal to bring in my vintage browning semi auto 12 ga. Now I could do some shooting with that rascal.

I think you can take your Browning (I assume it's an Auto-5) to SA based on their rules but you need to justify it with a reason (what ever that means!) I think a PH can help with that. BTW, I have owned several and hunted waterfowl and chukars with a few before and after steel shot rules. Humpback Auto-5 is one great pointing gun that is really fun to shoot!

You can justify the auto 5 by saying the SxS is for left to right flyers, the O/U is for risers and the auto 5 is for birds flying away from you! Lol

You can justify the auto 5 by saying the SxS is for left to right flyers, the O/U is for risers and the auto 5 is for birds flying away from you! Lol

Can't argue with good logic; makes perfect sense to me o_O

Sounds Like a Huglu

I think you can take your Browning (I assume it's an Auto-5) to SA based on their rules but you need to justify it with a reason (what ever that means!) I think a PH can help with that. BTW, I have owned several and hunted waterfowl and chukars with a few before and after steel shot rules. Humpback Auto-5 is one great pointing gun that is really fun to shoot!

Indeed it is an Auto 5 made in 1956 with a Belgium made barrel. My father gave it to me for Christmas 1975. I was once offered $1000 for it but no way would I part company.

In testing to know that I might be able to take it to SA. Pieter might have to take me bird hunting one of these days!

Indeed it is an Auto 5 made in 1956 with a Belgium made barrel. My father gave it to me for Christmas 1975. I was once offered $1000 for it but no way would I part company.

In testing to know that I might be able to take it to SA. Pieter might have to take me bird hunting one of these days!

I'm glad you kept the gun. I wish I had my father's auto-5 too. I've had both the Belgian and Japanese versions and liked them both. I hope you take it hunting and enjoy the gun. They were made to hunt!

A shotgun is the most versatile weapon one can take hunting anywhere. One can load it with shot shells for birds, it is used for small game animals like some species of Duiker in Africa, the thick brush for White Tail Deer in the Deep South of America, and can be the weapon of choice with fully rifled barrels and big heavy full bore .73 caliber hardened slugs for Black bear over bait in thick timber to anchor a bear right there where tracking can be a problem. For a one gun hunter a shotgun can be his best choice. It can never replace a rifle for dangerous game but for many people who can only afford one gun and will never face real dangerous game a shotgun is a viable choice.

I love my rifles but I have killed more game and spent many many enjoyable hours with my father in the woods putting food on the table with a shotgun than any other firearm. Even the lowly .410 shotgun loaded with a slug has the power of a .41 Magnum handgun. A neighbor once once saved his own life from a bear attack via the use of a .410 slug in his single shot shotgun. Everything had to go right for him to survive but it did; he was lucky. He was out squirrel hunting with his .410 when he was attacked. Now this man was not my favorite person as he was not above poaching a deer is he got the opportunity my family did not associate with him for that and many other of his moral lapse reasons. He carried a few .410 slugs in his coat pocket during squirrel season in case he got the chance at a deer. When the Black bear charged him he ran just like you are never supposed to do to get time to load the slug into his gun. When he turned the bear was on him but his turning must have surprised the bear because it stood up on its hind legs growling at him. He said it was at arms length so he just shot it through the mouth and it fell dead. That was his story anyway.

Last edited:
Red Leg, I am interested in knowing more about your William Evans Paradox. When was it manufactured? Boxlock, hammer or sidelock? A round ball or Fosberry gun?

I just had my 12 bore Lancaster Colindian (oval bore) bores measured for a Fosberry mold and waiting for JJ to get the new pad on my Manufrance 16 bore Fosberry Paradox with ratchet rifling. I got the bug shooting my friends 12 bore H&H Super Magnum Paradox with the new H&H ammo. The most accurate double I have ever fired. I'm hooked now.

You can bring your A5 in. I own one myself.

Other shotguns in my arsenal include Browning Superposes Superlightning, Beretta S56, and then a rare S/S Gastinne Renette.

Africa offers amazing bird hunting and but generally speaking PH's are not geared for it nor is it something associated with Africa (as opposed to ducks on the Volga in Russia, or pigeon shooting in Argentina).

Brno sxs-converted to a 24 inch "poor mans double"
FN Browning, whaleback 9 shot semi-auto
1905 Greener sxs with 30 inch Roses steel barrels

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg