AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, FMFG
Hunted
Canada (BC, AB), RSA (Limpopo), RSA (KwaZulu-Natal)
So I have found that as I am getting older and greyer my desire for things with a little old school style and class is growing. I'm sure before you know it I'll be trading in my custom bolt guns for a classic double. But I digress.

I have alot of high quality knives that I have collected over the years which are extremely functional but lack the old school style and class that I am looking for.

What I would really like is a knife with classic looks and modern steel. Something that is durable enough to take anywhere but looks like it belongs in a black and white safari photo if you know what I mean.

My search-fu turned up a few older threads but I would like to get some up to date opinions. So if you have a moment share your thoughts and fire away.

Thanks in advance,

-John

I have fallen in lust with the Puma White Hunter. I particularly like the older ones I have seen on ebay that look like they have endured the field. There seems to be a lot of wisdom in that design. It is shaped like an english butcher's knife but has little design features for specific duties. I don't own one yet so I cannot attest to it functionality.

john i dont know if you found this one in your search?
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/hunting-knife-pictures.11399/

Yes I sure did. Actually that is the thread that started getting me all wound up about a new knife.

I have fallen in lust with the Puma White Hunter. I particularly like the older ones I have seen on ebay that look like they have endured the field. There seems to be a lot of wisdom in that design. It is shaped like an english butcher's knife but has little design features for specific duties. I don't own one yet so I cannot attest to it functionality.

I have seen quite a few of the Puma knives. I really like their designs but am not a big fan of the steels they use. It may be the way they heat treat the ones I have used but the edge never held up to much use before needing sharpening.

For a classic look and a functional knife; look at a Randall Made Model 3. Get it with a tool steel blade and stag or wood handle, along with a Model B sheath (no hone pocket). I would go with a 5 or 6 in blade, brass hilt, brass & black spacers, and no butt cap. A further refinement would be to get the Model B sheath made from an exotic leather to give the knife/sheath combo more character.

Just my 2 cents.

For a classic look and a functional knife; look at a Randall Made Model 3. Get it with a tool steel blade and stag or wood handle, along with a Model B sheath (no hone pocket). I would go with a 5 or 6 in blade, brass hilt, brass & black spacers, and no butt cap. A further refinement would be to get the Model B sheath made from an exotic leather to give the knife/sheath combo more character.

Just my 2 cents.

I do love Randall knives however isn't there a three year waiting list?

I do love Randall knives however isn't there a three year waiting list?

There are Randall Knives Dealers who offer instant delivery. Try Google !

There are Randall Knives Dealers who offer instant delivery. Try Google !

You learn something new every day. Thanks for the heads up Nyati. I'll check it out and see what's available.

If you like to you can look at my homepage:
www.etersknivar.n.nu there is some of my handmade knives.
The page is in swedish but there is a googletranslate funktion.
I mostly have scandinavian style knives but one or two fulltang.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever considered getting a custom knife made? I had one made as a gift for my father-in a couple years ago and it turned out neat. I picked out the size and shape of the blade, the handle material I wanted, and the style of sheath. He was extremely happy. Anyway, it might be something to consider if you have a particular style in mind?

For a sheath knife as you described, have a look at Schrade brand PH Models 1 and 2 that are also very affordable.

For a folding knife with nostalgic lines, have a look at Schrade's "Old Timer" series of pocket knives, large, medium and small, also very affordable.

Just looked through the thread linked above and ballero's knife is a stunner

My own big game knife I made from my grandfathers scrub slasher and while it may lack the niceties of the custom maker finesse it is a fine using knife. African blackwood and nickel silver go with the old steel.

Attachments

• 404Jeffery013.jpg
    404Jeffery013.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Knives002.jpg
    Knives002.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 333
  • 015_zpsccc04715.jpg
    015_zpsccc04715.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 214
  • Knifves006.jpg
    Knifves006.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 181
Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting knives for sure. I think the one cut down from a Busch Blade looks great , it shines, and had the mist interesting pattern ground into it!

i have one of damascus usa knives. i tried to buy another but they had stopped making that model unfortunately.
http://www.damascususa.com/knives.html. they make some older looking styles

Damascus is nice, still easy enough to sharpen and holds a great edge. The newer powder steels are harder than a whores heart and an absolute bear to sharpen.

So I have found that as I am getting older and greyer my desire for things with a little old school style and class is growing. I'm sure before you know it I'll be trading in my custom bolt guns for a classic double. But I digress.

I have alot of high quality knives that I have collected over the years which are extremely functional but lack the old school style and class that I am looking for.

What I would really like is a knife with classic looks and modern steel. Something that is durable enough to take anywhere but looks like it belongs in a black and white safari photo if you know what I mean.

My search-fu turned up a few older threads but I would like to get some up to date opinions. So if you have a moment share your thoughts and fire away.

Thanks in advance,

-John
Yes tool steel *D2)is great and it is my second choice after carbon steel. But, please let me get my licks in: For a couple of centuries, hunters and trappers in the far north have preferred thin curved blade carbon steel knives like the Green River or Dexter Beef skinner style. So do most modern butchers and slaughter house guys.

Here's the deal: Roll a moose, elk or bear whose hide has lots of dirt in it, over in the mud or snow and start skinning. You will quickly find that a stainless knife gets dull just like a carbon knife. ( It's the dirt in the hide. ) Now, which knife will be easiest to resharpen. It won't take many moose kills before you are a born again carbon steel man. To resharpen a dull carbon steel blade it just takes a few slaps with a sharpening steel or an axe file and you are back in business. If I want to get a good edge on a stainless blade, I always like to have my lunch with me.

Those curved carbon steel beef skinng Hudson Bay style knives are the nicest to use, easiest to sharpen and least expensive of them all. The only downside is if you are seen with a carbon steel beef skeener on your belt, people will take you for a pro and ask you to help then their animal too.
Cheers, Brian

Have you ever considered getting a custom knife made? I had one made as a gift for my father-in a couple years ago and it turned out neat. I picked out the size and shape of the blade, the handle material I wanted, and the style of sheath. He was extremely happy. Anyway, it might be something to consider if you have a particular style in mind?

+1 Custom knives are the way to go. And what surprised me was a good custom knife made exactly the way you want isn't much more expensive than a similar high quality store bought knife.

Damascus is nice, still easy enough to sharpen and holds a great edge. The newer powder steels are harder than a whores heart and an absolute bear to sharpen.

Depends on what way you sharpen them. I have one knife made from S90V and another from S110V both are powder steels and extremely tough, ultimate knife steel imo. I use a belt sander to sharpen them and from a fairly dull edge to hair shaving sharp (if a knife will shave the hairs off my forearm I consider that sharp and its my test for whether a knife is sharp or not) it doesn't even take like a minute.

Yes tool steel *D2)is great and it is my second choice after carbon steel. But, please let me get my licks in: For a couple of centuries, hunters and trappers in the far north have preferred thin curved blade carbon steel knives like the Green River or Dexter Beef skinner style. So do most modern butchers and slaughter house guys.

Here's the deal: Roll a moose, elk or bear whose hide has lots of dirt in it, over in the mud or snow and start skinning. You will quickly find that a stainless knife gets dull just like a carbon knife. ( It's the dirt in the hide. ) Now, which knife will be easiest to resharpen. It won't take many moose kills before you are a born again carbon steel man. To resharpen a dull carbon steel blade it just takes a few slaps with a sharpening steel or an axe file and you are back in business. If I want to get a good edge on a stainless blade, I always like to have my lunch with me.

Those curved carbon steel beef skinng Hudson Bay style knives are the nicest to use, easiest to sharpen and least expensive of them all. The only downside is if you are seen with a carbon steel beef skeener on your belt, people will take you for a pro and ask you to help then their animal too.
Cheers, Brian

Yes and no. Butchers and guys working in slaughterhouses cut meat ALL day long and if you've ever seen a butcher every so often during the day they touch up their knives on a steel. Powder metal is hard to sharpen in the field or touch up on a steel. Now this problem isn't really relevant to hunters because they aren't skinning or cutting meat all day long. I've also heard an issue with military knives made from powder or other really hard steels is that they are difficult to sharpen in the field and it becomes a problem. But the only time I could see a power steel knife being a problem to a hunter is if you have a hunter who is away from civilization and living in the bush for months on end and hunting many animals, in this case you would need to sharpen knives in the field and it would be a problem, but how many hunters like this do you know? Most who are away from home on back up hunts are only there for like a week or two and shoot 1 or a few animals where a sharp knife made from S90V going dull isn't an issue. Just sharpen or touch up your knife on a belt sander once you notice it going dull or every few animals and its not an issue like I said earlier it doesn't even take a minute to get a hair shaving edge.

This is going a bit off topic but if you have a prized knife that you use for skinning don't use it when quartering or dismembering the animal and cutting through joints ie the hip joint-to separate the legs from the body, knee joints, shoulders, cutting between vertebrates etc... A good quality but fairly cheap butcher knife works wonders here and if you damage or accidently chip the edge on bone it isn't as big of a deal. Having an extra knife or two doesn't really add anything to weight...

Last edited:
Check out Ruana knives in Bonner, Montana. I have one, a smallish one and they are really nice. A bit pricey as well.

Check out Ruana knives in Bonner, Montana. I have one, a smallish one and they are really nice. A bit pricey as well.
Amen to that! I have a couple of the old original Ruana Knives made from car springs. I am afraid to lose them so I just leave them at home to brag about.

Now I have to try and make a joke - I mean it in the kindest possible way.
To the gent above, Dragan N :
Sir; With your belt sharpener do you have a battery powered one or just a long cord? Is it very heavy to pack in the mountains? (Chuckle. Sorry, but I just had to put my foot in my mouth!) I'll bet I catch hell for that one, Brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross