Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
I can't see a pre-existing thread on this topic, and although it does touch on the current thread of budget buffalo hunts in Aussie, i wanted to hear out the situation here in Africa. My take is a bit unusual, so I'll state it first and then try to broaden it to what I believe local hunters generally feel.
Safari hunting is a business and what is being offered is the camp, the ambiance and the whole experience in addition to the harvest. I get that, it is what I like, so I am willing to pay for it and even though I am a local the value proposition is there. For sure, if a hunt is being marked down as happened this year I am lined up, obviously, but I really don't get that some local hunters expect a special knock down experience just for them when the operator could sell that package for the going rate. Game is not in infinite supply, so it makes sense that a profitable industry will be a healthy one if the available resource has a good return.
So what of the citizen? Unlike in the USA there is no specific allocation or raffle here, but almost all game farms have need to cull or manage a part of their game population and meat hunts are possible at great prices. Not for nothing, note, it is a great privilege to hunt an animal and one should expect to pay for that.
But is there room for something in between these two, a deal perhaps where the safari operator can still offer a safari other than a shoot? The South African game farms seem to have got this one well under control and to be honest it fits their fenced model better than the big safari hunter with wild area expectations. From what I have seen the fixed facilities range from comfortable to luxurious and the farms are generally large enough to accommodate a couple of hunts at least. Butchering facilities are modern and efficient. To my view there is nothing wrong with this, it is filling a need and supporting the breeding industry that feeds it.
So is there also a place for budget hunts in the wide open wild areas like Zimbabwe's Zambezi Valley for example? Truth be known, this is a whole other level of safari. By sheer definition it will be remote, provisioning will be difficult and expensive, and of course the price will be higher. Apart from the covid specials We have seen this year, the wild area safaris are the Cadillac class, and don't fit well with budget. it is what it is.
in summary, as a local citizen with limited funds too I fully accept that one needs to save to savour. I too have done a game farm hunt in the Eastern Cape and will be doing more in Limpopo soon. They are different, but greatly enjoyable too, and altogether more easy on the pocket.

I know this is an old thread, but I think the post is interesting. Are all areas assigned quota leased by safari operators in Zimbabwe? Are there not community areas that have quota but aren’t economical for hunting operators that would be available to locals? Or has all game been poached out from these areas that it’s not worth an effort?

The ranch I am associated with in Texas will do a discount hunt for a "local" IF we don't have to feed or lodge them. We just back out the costs of food, lodging and chef from the base cost of a hunt where those services night be provided. Show up at the gate at 6am and leave at dark.

To your point, I don't see that as really viable option in wild areas as no one is going back home at the end of the day and returning the next.

For wild areas, the question can be rephrased if (local) hunter can at least access to hunting areas, with some type of pre-bought tag. Like it is done in some states in USA, on public land.

There is free chasse possibility in former French colonies, but what is the situation in the rest of Africa?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you