Christmas in October - Trophies are at the airport

I just got thinking, the dried drips may be from the insecticide solution as well. Some latex gloves may be in order when washing them.

Diamond I will certainly take your advice when I see my mount.

The Eland hide with all that wonderful white dust coming off of it has been treated with care.
I'll get those gloves on before I do anything.

Just joking about the build up. I really could not be bothered.
I will now leave the measuring tape behind for sure.

That only works in Boone and Crocket World Record Antelope and has to be paper mache!

That only works in Boone and Crocket World Record Antelope and has to be paper mache!

Ya they stopped allowing wood carvings a few years back!

The Gemsbok odyssey continues.

Kraft's mount is repacked and going to be heading to Germany sometime this week.
When the agents contact me and make arrangements to get it shipped.

Mine is supposed to be picked up at the taxidermist this week by the shipping agent in Windhoek.

We'll have to wait and see who this one plays out.

Good luck! Hopefully its right this time!

christmas in october

i get christmas 2 1/2 times this month and 1/2 of one in nov. just returned today from 9 day pheasant hunt with my son. waiting in my garage were the trophies from a may of 2009 sa hunt together and my wife booked a cape buff hunt with martin peters for me nov 9th. christmas will never be the same. got to get to bed so i can uncrate things tomarrow after work.

Smokepole,
Look forward to your pictures of all your "presents" and a good story.

Canadian Shipping agent called today about picking it up. Something must be happening.

Smokepole,
Look forward to your pictures of all your "presents" and a good story.

Canadian Shipping agent called today about picking it up. Something must be happening.

Fingers crossed here for you BB! It sounds like this is going to get worked out and without you losing any money on the deal.

BRICKBURN,

Any news on the Gemsbok?

Phil,
I packed Kraft's (repaired) mount up into the original crate and it was picked up on October 27th at my door for repatriation to Germany and hopefully onward to its rightful owner.

Apparently mine is headed my way and the Canadian shipping agent said it would be about three weeks.

They are handling everything required to get my trophy here. I await the email or phone call.

The other dust up will be with the original shipping agent, as he is about to get my bill for repairing the first mount.
After initially summarily dismissing the damage as "superficial" I have had no further discussions.
Other than his demand for more money.

I reviewed the shipping documents and I have noted that I paid him for insurance on the shipment.
I now wonder why he did not direct me in how to make a claim for the damage?

I'll let you know how this one turns out too.

Phil,
I packed Kraft's (repaired) mount up into the original crate and it was picked up on October 27th at my door for repatriation to Germany and hopefully onward to its rightful owner.

Apparently mine is headed my way and the Canadian shipping agent said it would be about three weeks.

They are handling everything required to get my trophy here. I await the email or phone call.

The other dust up will be with the original shipping agent, as he is about to get my bill for repairing the first mount.
After initially summarily dismissing the damage as "superficial" I have had no further discussions.
Other than his demand for more money.

I reviewed the shipping documents and I have noted that I paid him for insurance on the shipment.
I now wonder why he did not direct me in how to make a claim for the damage?

I'll let you know how this one turns out too.

Fingers crossed for ya.

Canadian shipping agent just replied to my request for an update.

Another thirty days and "it's complicated ......but we'll get it done".

Who knew it could be so complicated to create a world tour for a couple of Gemsbok.

Just let you know how this one is (still) going!!!

German shipping agent sent an email a week ago saying Gemsbok Mount would be at the airline LAST Monday!
No AWB (Air Weigh Bill) sent yet, as promised.

My guess is it will not be here by the real Christmas!!!

Taxidermists, please do yourselves and all of us a big favour and check the shipment TWICE, make that THREE times before you close that box.

Just about 60 more days since the wrong one left the house and still don't have my trophy!

Do have a Merry Christmas everyone!

Certainly an expensive mistake for the taxi. Lesson learned hopefully.

Merry Christmas, hope it arrives soon.

You know BB, I dropped into this thread yesterday to see if there was an update. There wasn't at the time and I just decided to not post anything out of fear of jinxing you. Hoping this is resolved before the new year!

The thing that rings home here is good pictures to verify your animal.
and second take measurements of your animals to cross check when the trophies make it home.

Things happen and it takes time to sort it all out.

BRICKBURN,

I've been keeping an eye on this thread and it just seems your saga won't end. I sure hope that you get this cleared up and in a year or two this just becomes part of the "story" you get to tell.

Good luck.

I've also been monitoring the thread, hoping you get complete resolution and satisfaction. For my own selfish reasons: I am learning a lot and will do a couple of things differently on my second Africa trip. I appreciate your sharing your experiences here.

Here is the latest instalment in the Gemsbok/Oryx saga.

January 5, 2012
Christmas has passed and no Gemsbok. Not shocked.

Taxidermy jumped to mind again when fellow member ndbwhnter showed his taxidermy pictures.
http://www.africahunting.com/before-after-hunt/6968-all-taxidermy-finally-back.html

He has something underneath his Gemsbok horns. They look good and so does the mount.

Got me to thinking that I recalled taking a trophy like that one.

Called the Canadian Shipping agent just now, with thoughts of calling the Taxidermist, the PH, the german Shipping Agent, etc. danced through my mind to the tune of the Sugar Plumb Fairy (being so close to Christmas and all)
What's the hold up?

I immediately laughed on the phone, sadly they know my name and voice after these months, and asked for an update.

It's Christmas and who knows about "those Germans".... I think, "Whatever..."

I finally asked the direct question; "Is it here yet or do I have to start chatting with someone?"

No chats required. Apparently, my "returned Canadian Goods" are in Canada, now awaiting Customs clearance. "It is a little more complicated" than the first go around. No details, I do not want to know how to do this process and I hope never to repeat it. (Nor for that matter want anyone else to have to do so.)

Asking the $1,000,000.00 question; "When might I expect to see this shipment?"
The point had been evaded with the "It's a little more complicated" answer a moment ago.

He reluctantly said it might just "arrive in 7 days" in my home town.
Pressing him into an expected date of arrival was required but, I have now learned with all certainty to wait and see!

I have an erie sense that something is sneaking up on me ever so slowly.

The wall hook awaits!

Last edited:
Just got the email.
The package made it through Customs.
To be shipped toward town today.
Truck to arrive tomorrow morning or the next day.

I'll certainly share pictures and you can help tell me if this is the same beast. Scary that I can think that is still a possibility.

Here's hoping.

I have also asked the folks involved to give me an estimate of all the costs involved in this mistake.

Maybe that number can aid all the packing and shipping procedures at the various taxidermists! Take that second look, just to make sure. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glorianab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg