Christmas Hunt Anyone?

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Who else has managed to get out for a hunt over the Christmas break so far? I nearly always try and get a hunt in if not on Christmas day, sometime during the Christmas period. Mind you where I am from the hunting conditions are less than favorable this time of the year which makes things alot more challenging but as always part of hunting is working around the weather. I've managed to get out twice already, cleaned up a monster brumby stallion Christmas eve while I was actually out looking for scrub bulls and then I got myself a nice cane boar weighing in at 93kgs sporting some good ivory late Christmas afternoon after navigating my way through some big storms.

Id love to see pics and/or hear from anyone else hunting over the Christmas period, not only in Australia but any where around the world. I'm heading out again this afternoon, hopefully another nice boar will present an opportunity.

1640558977518.jpeg

You say that the conditions are less than favorable? It was -30 Celsius (-22 F) here on Christmas day, so for some reason I didn't feel like venturing outside very badly. Our genersl big game season ends the end of November, and I often joke that Christmas day is our last day to go hunting for the year, as the authorities won't want to be out! LOL
I'd like to see your other pics! I'll live vicariously through you. lol

You say that the conditions are less than favorable? It was -30 Celsius (-22 F) here on Christmas day, so for some reason I didn't feel like venturing outside very badly. Our genersl big game season ends the end of November, and I often joke that Christmas day is our last day to go hunting for the year, as the authorities won't want to be out! LOL
I'd like to see your other pics! I'll live vicariously through you. lol
You are living in one weather extreme right now, I'm living the exact opposite weather extreme +36 Celsius and 80-90% humidity makes it tough going when hunting on foot, you sweat so much it's nearly impossible to carry enough water to keep up with how much you lose through sweat. But too be honest I would prefer this over -30 haha that's definitely not for me. I might pass on posting any brumby pics, this always seems to be a bit of a sensitive topic.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are huge hunting holidays for my family! We have been making the absolute most that we can of it.
627D7DEC-1B95-45AA-BB61-FC460AB59384.jpeg
ED94360D-D5A0-4C5A-B12F-5254E6732EB3.jpeg
D3093CC4-76B7-4E09-9A4F-F66BB0D0B8F7.jpeg

Good job getting out and having success!!

A bit different here - shot a three man limit of Canadian Geese today under record heat
IMG_0413.JPG

Nothing here yet. Winter moose just opened in the game management unit to the west of us. If the weather cooperates I am hoping to get out next weekend, maybe take a tent and stay a day or two. I have both antlerless and antlered tags, so the world is wide open if I can get there. ;)

Hunting is over for me for a bit. I turned some of my guns into a couple "Christmas Guntrees"! LOL
They turned out decent enough. Something different for sure!

Last edited:
I drew a blank with deer this year and my freezer is getting low on edible critters. Time to bring out the H&H 12-gauge and say hello to some pheasants. Does that count? :cool:

Who else has managed to get out for a hunt over the Christmas break so far? I nearly always try and get a hunt in if not on Christmas day, sometime during the Christmas period. Mind you where I am from the hunting conditions are less than favorable this time of the year which makes things alot more challenging but as always part of hunting is working around the weather. I've managed to get out twice already, cleaned up a monster brumby stallion Christmas eve while I was actually out looking for scrub bulls and then I got myself a nice cane boar weighing in at 93kgs sporting some good ivory late Christmas afternoon after navigating my way through some big storms.

Id love to see pics and/or hear from anyone else hunting over the Christmas period, not only in Australia but any where around the world. I'm heading out again this afternoon, hopefully another nice boar will present an opportunity.

View attachment 443699
Nice looking rifle!

took Ace, my old lab and my Dad for a quick pheasant hunt. it's been a few years, but Ace did phenomenal. He pointed 9 birds and flushed 2 more. If I could shoot we would have had 11 birds total. it was still a great time.

20211226_105825.jpg

Hunting on Xmas is a major no no in my family. Never have hunted on the 25th. Thanksgiving yes; New Years almost always; Xmas verboten.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you