Choosing wood for a Double Rifle stock

Garrett89

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
As I patiently await the completion of my first DR (Heym 89B in .450/400) it occurs to me that I've never had to choose wood for a project of this type before. Where do you even start? How do you choose from among all of the options? What makes the perfect blank choice for the one DR you'll own? If anyone has any pictures of the wood blanks they chose and why they chose it that would be very interesting to see as well as how the finished stock turned out. Thanks in advance!

As I patiently await the completion of my first DR (Heym 89B in .450/400) it occurs to me that I've never had to choose wood for a project of this type before. Where do you even start? How do you choose from among all of the options? What makes the perfect blank choice for the one DR you'll own? If anyone has any pictures of the wood blanks they chose and why they chose it that would be very interesting to see as well as how the finished stock turned out. Thanks in advance!

Research stockmakers, and blank sellers. Can't help you insofar as the U S goes; Down Under I have access to at least two top stockmakers, and a blank supplier who has literally thousands on hand; been cutting, drying, and selling for decades. Surely our U S members can help ...

I don’t think heym will have any junk to choose from. I suspect it’s mostly cosmetic preferences.

I’ve heard you want straight grain through the grip for strength. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge can chime in.

The answer is of course it depends. In my opinion Turkish Walnut is beautiful. However on a DR you may want to tone it down a bit with English Walnut anywhere from grades 1-8. I personally like a lot of contrast and lines in my stocks versus a more traditional very reduced lines in a low grade wood stock. You can therefore go one of two ways as I did:
1. Google rifle blanks and you will find several in US…not a lack of them. Then ask to see their 1-8 blanks and choose
2. Go into your search with a price range in mind…this will dictate what grade stock fits within that

I did option 1 and ended up paying for a high grade English Walnut Blank…no surprise

If you’re choosing a blank for the Heym, I’m going to assume that they will provide you only with blanks having the correct grain. So the only real concern is aesthetics, therefore, choose what pleases both your eye and your wallet.

Did you specify a wood upgrade? If not, the factory will choose the wood. Generally, the Heym standard grade wood is just fine.

If you specified a wood upgrade you can ask for pictures of available blanks but otherwise they will decide for you-again.

A friend of ours is a photographer for Heym he says that Heym has a few really beautiful pieces of wood that are not spoken for.

my suggestion is...

get a piece of wood that speaks to you and what you find beautiful. cry once and buy once. then you will own a rifle that you will treasure, are always happy with and whether you hunt with it or not, will make you smile every time you look at it.

All though I do like the really gnarled pieces of Turkish walnut that are available from some manufacturers. I will always prefer a straighter grain purely for the strength factor. The straight grain on my new double I absolutely love and can't wait to get my hands on it.
1675332940031.jpeg

1675333006359.jpeg

@Garrett89
Luxury walnut in the state is a great source of walnut from plain Jane to exhibition grade Turkish walnut.
They also provide high end timber to hymem Nd blaser from memory.
Your choice is only as big gas your wallet.
20200201_135424.jpg
20200201_135344.jpg

The results of 2 blanks from luxus on my lowall. Work by my gunsmith Rob Spittles.
Bob

Terry Wieland has a chapter on the subject of 'Stocking the Dangerous Game Rifle' in his book 'Dangerous Game Rifles'. The book can be bought reasonably cheaply on Amazon. Much of the chapter quotes a chap called Bill Dowtin of Old World Walnut, who has written an article on the subject here.

Gregor Woods' book, 'Rifles for Africa', also has a section on stocks. His book is a bit more expensive, but readily available. Unfortunately I do not have my copy to hand.

From Wieland's description of the sale of walnut blanks, it seems a completely unscrupulous trade. I have made the point before that traditionally walnut blanks were graded on a 1- 3 basis, although now Rigby will sell you a rifle with grade 11 wood. That, it seems to me, is just an excuse to charge more: who has graded the wood, and what criteria were used?

Rather than worry too much about the wood, I should concentrate on the balance and fit of the rifle. After all, your lovely new rifle is going to get a few knocks and scratches, and that's assuming that you don't have to turn it around and use it as a club at some stage on your adventures.

And, of course, whatever you do, never, ever, put it in a 'Lead Sled'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,