Choosing the right caliber

cash_tx

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Found on the Internet earlier today. Personally, I would swap 375 H&H for 45-70. ;-)

RightCaliber.jpeg

That's hilarious.

If I could have only one...375H&H.

1675601490768.png

This is fake or has been photoshopped. This is obviously @Bob Nelson 35Whelen chart and somebody switched 35 Whelen to 45-70.

Hello all… first time poster. Not to highjack the thread…but. I am headed to SA in 2024. Will be doing plains game…Eland on down. As a long time fan of the 35 Whelen I have used this as my excuse to finally own one. Not a reloader and given the ammo issues it appears my factory options are either Barnes or Hornady superperformance with Interlocks. Everyone pretty much agrees the Barnes is a great bullet…but what about the Hornady…it is loaded hotter but will it give me the best all around option for my hunt? Thoughts on what is my best “all around” for this situation? Thanks!

Hello all… first time poster. Not to highjack the thread…but. I am headed to SA in 2024. Will be doing plains game…Eland on down. As a long time fan of the 35 Whelen I have used this as my excuse to finally own one. Not a reloader and given the ammo issues it appears my factory options are either Barnes or Hornady superperformance with Interlocks. Everyone pretty much agrees the Barnes is a great bullet…but what about the Hornady…it is loaded hotter but will it give me the best all around option for my hunt? Thoughts on what is my best “all around” for this situation? Thanks!
@cms62236
As the biggest Whelen lunatic on the forum I would use the Barnes for your pg hunt. While the superformance is good the bullet construction is only suitable for deer size game.
The Whelen loaded with the 200 or 225gn TTSXs is more than adequate for even eland. Just place your shots well.
Federal TBBC is another great choice if you can find it.
Start loading the Whelen and it turns into a different BEAST. 250gr at 2,700fps or 225gn at 2,900fps and it is awesome.
Bob

What Bob said.....

For PG up to eland a premium 200gr or more bullet doing around 2750ft/s that the operator can shoot accurately to 250yds from field positions is perfect.

Getting back on topic - sadly the old 45-70 isn't it!

Thank you gentlemen for your responses...now back on topic. Just so you know my love for my 45-70 is second to none. I would say of all the rifles I own and have owend it the least picky about ammo selection. Seems like I can drop it in the pipe and the Ruger #1 just keeps laying them on target! And has done everything I have asked it to do.

Go with the Barnes vor-tx factory ammo in 35 Whelen and don’t look back… there is nothing from warthog to eland you can’t drop in its tracks

Hornady interlocks can get the job done.. but they aren’t anywhere close to the same performance level… ammo is the cheapest investment in your hunt… not the place I would encourage anyone to try to save some money unless you have no other options…

Nosler custom also occasionally loads 35 Whelen using their accubond…that is an excellent round… my wife took her eland with the nosler option at 250 yards+/- … we bought 4 or 5 boxes of the nosler stuff a few years back when they had one of their bogo sales… I’ve been very pleased with it

Go with the Barnes vor-tx factory ammo in 35 Whelen and don’t look back… there is nothing from warthog to eland you can’t drop in its tracks

Hornady interlocks can get the job done.. but they aren’t anywhere close to the same performance level… ammo is the cheapest investment in your hunt… not the place I would encourage anyone to try to save some money unless you have no other options…

Nosler custom also occasionally loads 35 Whelen using their accubond…that is an excellent round… my wife took her eland with the nosler option at 250 yards+/- … we bought 4 or 5 boxes of the nosler stuff a few years back when they had one of their bogo sales… I’ve been very pleased with it
@mdwest
Anyone who isn't happy with the 35 Whelen probably hasn't shot any game with it.
It's an awesome cartridge that will do everything the 338WM will do and then some without belting the living be geezus out of you. It can be loaded for up close and personal with 310gn at over 2,400fps and 4,000fpe of muzzle energy or deliver a ton of energy out to 400 yds that will lay out a critter if you do your part..
The 35 Whelen is a great cartridge that's easy to load to get MAXIMUM performance or load it down to 35 rem level if you want.
Bob

@375 Ruger Fan
The 35 Whelen suitable for everything from mice to moose and bigger if needed. A one cartridge that does 99% of what most hunters need.
Bob
And for those extra special people in the 1% category of hunters, the answer is still 35 Whelen, but now in Bob's extra special handloads. :E Rofl:

And for those extra special people in the 1% category of hunters, the answer is still 35 Whelen, but now in Bob's extra special handloads. :E Rofl:
@VertigoBE
For those extra special people they can have what ever they want as long as it works snd they are happy with it.
The joy is in working your way thru a myriad of calibres/ rifles to see what suits your needs. As long as you are happy we ith your choice that's what counts.
It took me a looong time and a few different calibres to decide a 22 hornet, my 25 snd the we Helen cover all my needs.
Did I have fun along the way, you betcha. Did I make some shit choices, bloody oath. I finally settled on what works for me and probably would for a lot of hunters.
NEVER DID A 243 PASS THRU MY HANDS AND NEVER WILL.
O do have some morals and standards. The 243 is something I will never use as long as my arse points to the ground.
Bob

Get a 375HH and you can do 100%.
@Newboomer
Where's the fun in having one gun.
Hush my mouth it's like having one club to play golf. A golf course is just a waste of a good rifle range to me.
Bob

@VertigoBE
For those extra special people they can have what ever they want as long as it works snd they are happy with it.
The joy is in working your way thru a myriad of calibres/ rifles to see what suits your needs. As long as you are happy we ith your choice that's what counts.
It took me a looong time and a few different calibres to decide a 22 hornet, my 25 snd the we Helen cover all my needs.
Did I have fun along the way, you betcha. Did I make some shit choices, bloody oath. I finally settled on what works for me and probably would for a lot of hunters.
NEVER DID A 243 PASS THRU MY HANDS AND NEVER WILL.
O do have some morals and standards. The 243 is something I will never use as long as my arse points to the ground.
Bob
Now, now, Bob. Never say never because it just might happen and don't say forever because nothing lasts that long.

Now, now, Bob. Never say never because it just might happen and don't say forever because nothing lasts that long.
@Newboomer
Never, never,never will that happen with that horrible cartridge, I will try go to my grave still disliking it.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg