Choose the backup rifle

Pheroze, as much as I tout the use of a 6.5 X 55 Swede, given the quarry and the options you mentioned, I'd go with the 375 H&H. You just may be lucky and run across a "big" bear.
et tu, Brute? Then fall the 6.5...

What range will you be shooting? You probably wouldn’t have to spend to much time working up a new load. That is if you can source the components.
That said the 270 hornandy bullets will probably be fine.
I have the recipe to load 270 grain Woodleigh but not the powder. I shoot at Silverdale, it's about an hour from me. I can steal some time here and there but not really good for developing a load with a different powder. I will take time to do that later so I have a plan B. I really did not anticipate using the 375 for a long time as I am tinkering a lot with my 308 Norma. The ultimate law - Murphy's law, prevails again.

edit: I just reread this and by "range" you mean distance :LOL: It will be short, no more than 80 yards I suspect.

I have taken black bear with my 6.5CM at the distance you are describing. It did what it was supposed to do, Barnes 127 moving at 2875 fps (20" barrel). No bullet recovered, broad side clean through.

The only black bear I've taken was with a browning lever action in 358 Winchester loaded with 225 gr. Nosler partitions at 2300fps. It worked.

Yes, the Intelocks can be kind of frangible... but the overkill factor of the 375 relative to the black bear will easily make up for the less than perfect bullet. If it were my hunt, the possibility of the real whopper showing up would make my decision really simple. :)

The 375 should work fine. I shot a black bear with a 375 Ruger and Nosler Partitions. I'd say they were a bit tougher than necessary but definitely killed the bear. Your loads will be fine. Take the 375 and have fun.

My love/frustrated relationship with my gunsmith continues. I sent back my rifle for a cosmetic issue with the promise I would get it back in time to hunt black bear this spring.

So here I sit looking at the soon-to-be missed dealine, trying to choose between my 375 H&H with 270gr Hornady Interlocks, or a 6.5x55 with 160gr woodleigh weldcore PP. Unfortunately, I don't have time to build new loads.

I will be hunting over bait in a densely forested area. And, I have shot more stuff with the 375.

Which would you choose?
I see you have made your choice. The 375 would have definitely been mine also.
I think the 375’s are great do-all rifles for my shooting distances.
Big or small it will kill them all.
The Interlocks should work well on black bear in the 270 grain 375 H&H.
My only experience with the Interlock was out of a 7mm Remington magnum, 154 grain if I recall correctly, on a whitetail at about 40 yards, bullet traveled lengthwise into neck and back vertebrae, still retained close to 60% weight. I do recall it had more penetration and weight retention than I anticipated.

I say live dangerously...hunt with the 6.5 and a bowie knife.

The 6.5 being your backup of course. ;)

If you have used the 375h&h more, I would use it now. Whatever you are more proficient with.
The 6.5 is a good bear gun for a stand or blind. My dad used a 308. But always something bigger like a 300wm or 375h&h for a walking hunt, incase of a charge situation.

I say live dangerously...hunt with the 6.5 and a bowie knife.

The 6.5 being your backup of course. ;)

While covered in honey too I suppose!

If you have used the 375h&h more, I would use it now. Whatever you are more proficient with.
The 6.5 is a good bear gun for a stand or blind. My dad used a 308. But always something bigger like a 300wm or 375h&h for a walking hunt, incase of a charge situation.
I will be in a stand. I have shot and hunted with the 375 a lot more. I took it to Africa and I used to moose hunt with it. It's a clunky rifle, and it just feels heavy even though it does not weigh much more than another rifle I have. I got tired of hauling it through the woods and semi-retired it. But it has not failed me yet.

I see you have made your choice. The 375 would have definitely been mine also.
I think the 375’s are great do-all rifles for my shooting distances.
Big or small it will kill them all.
The Interlocks should work well on black bear in the 270 grain 375 H&H.
My only experience with the Interlock was out of a 7mm Remington magnum, 154 grain if I recall correctly, on a whitetail at about 40 yards, bullet traveled lengthwise into neck and back vertebrae, still retained close to 60% weight. I do recall it had more penetration and weight retention than I anticipated.

That's good to hear! I read too much to have any faith in something other than a bonded, partitioned, monometal bullet :ROFLMAO:

Make your fellow canucks proud...Maple Syrup!

All joking aside, I think your question was almost rhetorical...375 clearly wins out. Sucks about your gunsmith though.
Those spring bears will be thinner, so that may play into your bullet selection?

Make your fellow canucks proud...Maple Syrup!

All joking aside, I think your question was almost rhetorical...375 clearly wins out. Sucks about your gunsmith though.
Those spring bears will be thinner, so that may play into your bullet selection?
I did wonder about that and the idea that a more frangible bullet would in fact be better. It's my first bear hunt so I just want to experience it, and try to enjoy it a little along the way :Joyful:

Still working on the gunsmith...sad puppy-dog eyes are next....

I've never killed a true big black bear, but I have killed a number of them. Bigger is generally always better, but I'd feel perfectly armed with the 6.5 and a proper bullet. We're talking shooting one from a stand over bait, not facing a charging bear. I've killed several black bears with archery equipment and never felt "under gunned".

375 H&H, for this occasion.

6.5 I would keep, for nothing bigger then white tail deer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg