Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I am going out for a duck/geese hunt this week (if they are flying well ) It will be in a farm field over decoys. I have a mixed bag of shot. All 3". I am using my new A5 (not the classic)

Supplies are limited but I have cobbled together several boxes of steel BB, a couple of steel #2. And a couple ten box sets of tungsten matrix #5 (my preference but supplies are low)

I have for choke selection:

1.a Trulock aftermarket invector DS modified extended choke.
2. Browning Invector DS IM
3. Trulock Skeet1

If the shooting is good I anticipate using both tungsten and steel BB.

My question is what combo do you suggest? I am thinking that the Trulock M is the way to go for whatever I shoot.

Thanks.

I am going out for a duck/geese hunt this week (if they are flying well ) It will be in a farm field over decoys. I have a mixed bag of shot. All 3". I am using my new A5 (not the classic)

Supplies are limited but I have cobbled together several boxes of steel BB, a couple of steel #2. And a couple ten box sets of tungsten matrix #5 (my preference but supplies are low)

I have for choke selection:

1.a Trulock aftermarket invector DS modified extended choke.
2. Browning Invector DS IM
3. Trulock Skeet1

If the shooting is good I anticipate using both tungsten and steel BB.

My question is what combo do you suggest? I am thinking that the Trulock M is the way to go for whatever I shoot.

Thanks.
I would use browning IM, but I also own that gun and have shot thousands of rounds through it. Like always though wouldn’t hurt to set out some paper at 20,30,40 yards and see what it looks like. No matter what have a good time and good luck.

I would use browning IM, but I also own that gun and have shot thousands of rounds through it. Like always though wouldn’t hurt to set out some paper at 20,30,40 yards and see what it looks like. No matter what have a good time and good luck.
I would love to pattern it. But the gun club does not have a board up and my neighbors in the city frown on the activity. But yes, I really wish I had the chance to pattern it.

I would use the Modified choke and shoot the tungsten 5s (deadly, I've used them on ducks and black brant) and steel 2's if you are shooting over decoys. The steel 2's will pattern better and still kill ducks/geese out to 35 yards. Use the BB's when you run out of the other ammo.

Nevada Mike has you going in the right direction
I am going to assume that the Chokes that you mentioned are "Lead" chokes and not "Steel" as the constriction of a Lead Modified is different than the constriction of a Steel Modified.
If they are indeed tubes with constrictions for Lead your Tungsten Matrix shot from a Modified choke will pattern like a Modified choke while your Steel will pattern as if they have been fired from a Full choke ... Rule of thumb is to not shoot steel through a Lead choke that is tighter than Modified as you "may" Ring or Bulge your barrel in front of the constriction...
Skeet 1 has a choke constriction of roughly .005 if your shooting decoying birds with your Tungsten Matrix 5s you will be deadly to 25-30 yards with a fairly open pattern If Geese come you can quickly slip in some 2s or BBs with the Steel the choke will now be the equal to a IC choke and you could reach out to 35 yards or more... but with less pattern density
If you go with your Modified shooting the Tungsten Matrix you will have a much tighter patter for those shots out to 35-40 yards and your Steel will pattern like a full choke

Nevada Mike has you going in the right direction
I am going to assume that the Chokes that you mentioned are "Lead" chokes and not "Steel" as the constriction of a Lead Modified is different than the constriction of a Steel Modified.
If they are indeed tubes with constrictions for Lead your Tungsten Matrix shot from a Modified choke will pattern like a Modified choke while your Steel will pattern as if they have been fired from a Full choke ... Rule of thumb is to not shoot steel through a Lead choke that is tighter than Modified as you "may" Ring or Bulge your barrel in front of the constriction...
Skeet 1 has a choke constriction of roughly .005 if your shooting decoying birds with your Tungsten Matrix 5s you will be deadly to 25-30 yards with a fairly open pattern If Geese come you can quickly slip in some 2s or BBs with the Steel the choke will now be the equal to a IC choke and you could reach out to 35 yards or more... but with less pattern density
If you go with your Modified shooting the Tungsten Matrix you will have a much tighter patter for those shots out to 35-40 yards and your Steel will pattern like a full choke
Very informative way to look at it. I will see how the setup looks before making the call!

I also have a Browning M that has written on it "Lead IC Steel M"

The Trulock M just has written 0.720 I believe

Depends on the call and the set.

If they are coming in and setting down close, the 2's will work.
If they are being skittish or you have early calls then get the range from your longer range ammo.
Have a blast.

Very informative way to look at it. I will see how the setup looks before making the call!

I also have a Browning M that has written on it "Lead IC Steel M"

The Trulock M just has written 0.720 I believe
I have killed a rail car full of ducks using a Modified and Improved Cylinder choke combo. So you Browning
'M' Choke Tube should get it done over dekes.

I have several A5 classics. I would like to try the new A5. Am jealous.....have only bagged one duck so far this season. Good advice given above.......good luck, and give us a report on how it goes.......................FWB

I have several A5 classics. I would like to try the new A5. Am jealous.....have only bagged one duck so far this season. Good advice given above.......good luck, and give us a report on how it goes.......................FWB
I will do. I really like the new one.

Typically heavy shot like bismuth and tungsten like a tighter choke. Since you can't pattern I'd run the tungsten with the tightest choke.

I usually run a kicks high flyer full for steel 2s and BBs. It's probably closer to a modified size in lead only chokes so mod. Should pattern the steel you have ok.

Good shooting

Modified and Improved Cylinder- Since your shots will be taken over decoys.

I’m assuming decoy work is inside 40 yards. Standard IC will work fine at that range with non-tox loads. Anything tighter will work but you may end up with very small patterns on closer shots.

The steel BB will be best for goose and the #2 for duck with the MOD choke. Your range will be limited to about 40 yards and less. Beyond that there are not enough BB pellets to have a good pattern and #2's lack the energy. You can get lucky, but will most likely be running after injured birds.

The TSS matrix #5's are a different story. ***Make sure your choke is rated for TSS or at least TSS/matrix blend before shooting it. TSS does not deform the way lead does and can ruin not just your choke, but your beautiful new A5 as well. Now then, the good thing about TSS is that it tends to pattern better than bismuth or steel. Provided the shot has a density at or above 12 g/cc (same as lead) you should not have a problem on your hunt. A better density like 15 g/cc or higher would be even better. #5's with a MOD choke will have you taking goose out to 40 and ducks to 50 with no problems. The SKT choke could be very useful for fast moving ducks at less than 40 yards with this load. I'd probably stay with the MOD and switch to the SKT for the close ones.

As @BRICKBURN said earlier...it all depends on the setup, what you expect and being able to adapt if necessary. I would make sure you have all your chokes in your blind bag in case you want to change it up.

For reference - This past Fall I was using a FULL choke with Federal Black Cloud TSS BB&7 and Turkey loads for goose out to 70 yards and was effective, but it was situational. We tailored the load and choke for the conditions we expected.
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/usa-early-season-fall-goose-hunt-in-ny.70719/post-963005

Currently my friend (IGS) is using a SKT choke and Federal Black Cloud TSS 3&9 for ducks out to 40 yards with no problem. Mostly quick moving passing shots so he wants a more open pattern.

If they are more skittish and keep their distance, he changes to a MOD choke (same ammo) and is good to 50+ yards. Also good for taking ducks on the water.

Over the weekend he had mergansers land on the outskirts of the decoys at 70 yards. He took out the SKT choke and Black Cloud load and put in a TKY choke with Federal Heavyweight Turkey TSS #7's 2 1/4 oz. He waited until they closed the distance to 60 yards and three heads lined...ducks in the boat.
1670274975697.png

***The FULL and MOD chokes we use are from Carlson's and are rated for TSS. He's shooting a Browning Maxus, I'm using a Benelli SBE3 and we each have a Browning Cynergy O/U's with 3.5" chambers. The O/U is a great option for having 2 loads and 2 chokes and being able to change between them quickly.

Last edited:
Browning Cynergy O/U's with 3.5" chambers. The O/U is a great option for having 2 loads and 2
I agree and maybe one day I would have a nice sxs in the field!

Thank you for that analysis. I think the matrix is around 12g/cc. The chokes are safe for it.

It was a good day in the field. There were lots of geese flying but not many ducks. We set up near some large ponds that had a bunch of them (The ponds are on a property we could not access)

I flubbed the only chance I had at a couple of mallards. But, when a low-flying group of geese gave me an opportunity, I dropped three, which was exciting. My partner had a good chance at two more. Otherwise, the birds flew high or in the opposite direction—a lovely day in the field.

I started with the IC/M choke but switched to the Trulock M with BB. This is what brought home the Christmas dinner. I like these Truelock chokes.

Thanks for the discussion. I always like chatting with you folks.

IMG-20221206-WA0003.jpg

Congratulations. Glad it worked out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois