Chemical Odor?

Catahoula

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I just received my trophy shipment from my first Safari . I have two euro mounts and a zebra flat skin. There is a fairly strong chemical odor. It has a similar smell to kerosene or insecticide. (Not nearly as strong as straight kerosene would smell) It's hard to describe. Is this normal? What do I do about it? Is it just a matter of letting the flat skin air out for some period of time in my garage? The euro mounts are fine. I washed them off with a mild cleaner and the odor is very faint. The flat skin however..... No way it's coming in the house in its current state. Before you ask, I have another thread started about the shipment being on the way. I will add pics there.

Mine always have a chemical odor for a while. Be careful where you allow the hide to air out. Moisture - humidity or the real thing - is the enemy of your rug.

I believe the odor you’re smelling is from the paint they put on the horns to preserve them. It will soon dissipate.

It's normal, though mine have all been faint. It's moth balls and/or and insecticide sprayed on the hide. It should dissipate. Leaving them to air out in the dry garage wouldn't hurt.

.......... It's may be moth balls and/or and insecticide sprayed on the hide. It should dissipate. Leaving them to air out in the dry garage wouldn't hurt.

What he said.

Thanks guys. I’ll let it air out. It’s definitely more than a faint odor!

Yep.. normal..

My last crate almost ran me out of the house for about 2 weeks it was so strong... it was so bad the skins had to go into a open topped plastic bin in the garage for a while.. they couldn’t stay in the house... the mounts weren’t nearly as bad...

It took almost a month for the smell to totally go away...

I just received my trophy shipment from my first Safari . I have two euro mounts and a zebra flat skin. There is a fairly strong chemical odor. It has a similar smell to kerosene or insecticide. (Not nearly as strong as straight kerosene would smell) It's hard to describe. Is this normal? What do I do about it? Is it just a matter of letting the flat skin air out for some period of time in my garage? The euro mounts are fine. I washed them off with a mild cleaner and the odor is very faint. The flat skin however..... No way it's coming in the house in its current state. Before you ask, I have another thread started about the shipment being on the way. I will add pics there.

Normal. Let the skin hang out to dry. That’s they stuff they put in crate to keep out bugs.

Ive had my tanned back skins in my barn for a year now trying to air out what most people say smells like moth balls.

There is no way these can go in the house

Ouch! I hope this doesn’t take that long!

Ive had my tanned back skins in my barn for a year now trying to air out what most people say smells like moth balls.

There is no way these can go in the house

I'd say that there is another problem with yours. You might want to check with a local taxidermist and see what he says about it.

This is another reason to have things done here in the states or locally where ever you live at.

Interesting thread, I've never had any odors from finished taxidermy from RSA. Have a dozen or so flat skins and 25 trophies, shoulder, full and euro mounts and none had a smell, went directly from crate (5) to house. Same for three crates I helped my friends unload. Hmm, never had the smell on any domestic trophies either.

I'd say that there is another problem with yours. You might want to check with a local taxidermist and see what he says about it.

This is another reason to have things done here in the states or locally where ever you live at.

They were done here in the USA

Ditto.

I got a shipment a few years ago that took weeks to air out. Better to have the shipment safe from critters I suppose

It’s been four days now. The euro mounts are fine and I e hung them up. The zebra skin gets better every day but isn’t quite ready to come into the house. I’m guessing another week or so and it should be good.

you could probly speed up the process with a fan to circulate more air.

It's been a little over a week and the odor has dissipated. You can smell it if you get extremely close, but from a foot or so away, it is gone. I've moved the flatskin into the living room. I'll see if I notice any odor when I get home this afternoon. Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions.

I hope you arrive home to a success story.

Ditto.

I got a shipment a few years ago that took weeks to air out. Better to have the shipment safe from critters I suppose

Having worked in wholesale produce for almost 8 years at one point, I can say you are 100% right @GA Hunter , two things we would see that will stop any import shipment in its tracks was bugs or drugs. Fortunately you don't hear about the latter in hunting trophy crates to my knowledge. But when you saw a ship dock in NJ, NY, Philly or DE that they detected an "actionable insect" on, you knew you weren't getting that product soon, if at all.

It's been a little over a week and the odor has dissipated. You can smell it if you get extremely close, but from a foot or so away, it is gone. I've moved the flatskin into the living room. I'll see if I notice any odor when I get home this afternoon. Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions.

Glad it is clearing up for you. I do know that most of the mounts that I have had done have a faint odor from the process.

For others that chance upon this thread I would suggest that you check with whoever you got the mounts or flat skins done at. They would be the most knowledgeable as far as what was done and where the smell is coming from. I know that when you are working around it all the time you do not notice the odor but get someone with a fresh nose into the room and it can become overpowering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindia012

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg