Daktari

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
US: FL, ME
Hey I was wondering what Americans do with the cheetah once its harvested and they're not allowed to import it? does it get stored?

Hey I was wondering what Americans do with the cheetah once its harvested and they're not allowed to import it? does it get stored?

I saw cheetah on the trophy species list on a couple of Namibia hunts and was wondering about this myself. Coincidentally, I was on the phone with USFWS today and asked about this. The lady (who was actually very nice and helpful) said that she was not aware that they had any permit requests in process for cheetah and that she didn't know how long it would take to get one approved or even if it would be. You have to fill out form 3-200-something-or-other and include in it how the harvest of the animal will benefit the longer term survival of the species, etc. She also pointed me to a site called species plus.net that has information on CITES listings; there it shows an 2018 export quota of 150 cheetah for Namibia.

So it sounds like it's possible, but maybe somebody needs to test the waters. Smart move would probably be to put in for a permit and see if it gets approved before you go on the hunt!

My question for the group.....How regularly do people actually have an opportunity to harvest a cheetah on a Namibia PG hunt? I am assuming they are chance encounter, not baited, correct? Is it a relatively common occurrence to get close enough to them for harvest or is it relatively unheard of?

Items falling into the endangered species category which are commonly sold abroad but are prohibited entry into the United States include:
Rugs, pelts, hunting trophies, and a wide variety of manufactured articles (such as handbags, compacts, coats, wallets, key cases, etc.) made from the skins and/or fur of endangered or threatened animals, including the cheetah, jaguar, margay, ocelot, tiger, and others.

https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Facts_about_federal_wildlife_laws.pdf

Attachments

• Facts_about_federal_wildlife_laws.pdf
    324.8 KB · Views: 110
Thanks Brickburn. That's good information. The "...and other" phrase is bothersome. Leads me to more questions. (And sorry if this has all been beat to death before...I'm a newbie trying to sort it all out!)

It appears that both cheetah and south african leopard are Cites Appendix 1 species. If that's correct, then do we know why there would be a difference in which you are allowed to import? Seems like there is definitely a process for leopard.

It appears that both cheetah and south african leopard are Cites Appendix 1 species. If that's correct, then do we know why there would be a difference in which you are allowed to import? Seems like there is definitely a process for leopard.

You can not equate CITES and USFWS. The USFWS does not strictly adhere to CITES agreements. They make their own determinations and set policies for US citizens which you will have to contact them and read announcements to see what the current policies are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you