Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Howsit,

Okay, so I'm curious as to what you guys find to be a cheap shoot.Obviously this is aimed at those of you in RSA, but please feel free to answer no matter where you are from :)

I know the .303 can be dirt-cheap, but lately I've heard that it's no longer cheap to shoot, so just curious as to your experiences (obviously excluding the .22).

Thank you :)

Plain and simple, reloaded ammo. If you don't reload and shoot a old military rifle chambered for a cartridge such as the .303, .30-06, .223 and others then surplus military ammo.

Other than that the cheapest that you can find out of a catalog if you live in a area that it can be shipped to you.

An air-rifle is by far the cheapest thing to shoot and shouldn't be looked over for practice. But if you are talking centerfire, here in the US 7.62x54R is a cheap option. Prices have gone up but it's still possible to find a spam can of it for around $100 and a Mosin Nagant rifle can still be had for less than $200.

Second brushmore... I think my Mosin Nagant was $89 just a couple years ago! Also I have a 5.45x39 that was about 15 cents per round when I bought it, Russian military surplus.. But Obama did something to stop that:mad: Often thought about getting a bolt gun in 7.62x39.

And thinking seriously of making an indoor range for an air rifle, possibly sub sonic 22. Of course it is -9 F :E Cold: this morning where I live. And my computer says it is 75 F in Port Elizabeth right now! At 75 we are thinking about getting ready to go :P Boat: and looking for :K Booby:, at least if the fish aren't biting;)

Reactions: lcq
.223 but if you are excluding the .22 because of rifle feel, try a Ruger 77/22 target model. It weighs and feels like a centerfire and topped with a traditional centerfire scope it gives the exact same feel as a centerfire and is still accurate as hell (provided you adjust the parallax accordingly). No cheaper practice than that.

As far as ammo goes, I load my own. Having said that, I have friends that usually try to pick up ammo on sale right after the season (or near the end of season).....it doesn't "spoil" and can be used the following season.
The least expensive, yet still having good quality, has been Sellier and Bellot. Close seconds include PMP and PMC ammo. Most of the military surplus ammo that was out there is long gone, esp. for WWII era rifles (.303, 30-06, 8x57, 6.5x55). Too bad, as FMJ ball was good for practice and punching paper. Most of the military surplus these days is coming from Soviet (or former Soviet) Bloc countries, and I just don't trust the quality, esp. after having to deal with drugs from china (i.e. heparin vials with no heparin in them!).
I do the air rifle thing in the basement as well....cheap practice and fun to do on a cold winter night; back stop can be easily made from a cardboard box, a length of wooden dowel, and some old carpeting.
.22 rimfire is still hard to find in my area (esp. .22 magnum), so I am being conservative on those.............

I have an old Mauser built out of a part bin....cheap as they come. It is scoped and in 7,62 NATO. I have thousands of mil. surp. rounds so this is my cheap way to practise shooting for hunting..

Otherwise the thing is of course to reload..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois