COTTARS SAFARI SERVICES
Big Game Hunting in Africa & Asia
Nairobi, East Africa, 1938
full

full

full

full

Last edited:
The name Cottar has been famous in Kenya for over a century, first with the American big game hunter Charles Cottar, who after making several hunting safaris set up Cottar Safari Service in Nairobi in East Africa, Kenya, in 1911. He was gored to death by a Rhinoceros on Sept. 7, 1940, in Kenya, when out filming with his brother Ted at Barakitabu.

Check out the N.2 point on the brochure... Guaranteed a 100 pounder elephant...

In 1919, together with his sons, Mike, Bud and Ted, Charles established ‘Cottar’s Safari Service’, one of the very first registered safari companies offering superior big game hunting and film safaris outfitting throughout Africa, India and Indochina. Charles Cottar survived elephant, buffalo, and three leopard attacks in his life, finally succumbing in 1939, at age 66, to a deadly rhino charge in the Mara region. Mike and Bud carried on the safari business guiding for the Duke and Duchess of York, Woolworth Donahue and Martin and Osa Johnson, amongst others. Mike Cottar was friends with many of the famous characters from ‘Out of Africa’ and was Beryl Markham’s first flying passenger.

Charles Cottar came to Africa in 1909 from the USA after reading President Theodore Roosevelt’s exhilarating accounts of his big game hunting expedition of 1906. Charles quickly established himself amongst the first professional hunters and safari guides in East Africa, and in 1915, brought his entire family back to Kenya to settle for good.

The family was renown amongst the British administration for being rebellious and antiestablishment, preferring long stints with African tribes in wildest Africa. The Cottars’ were the first to import American vehicles for safaris, the first to reach new areas such as Lake Paradise, the first to obtain never before seen wildlife footage.

In this family it was normal to have lions, leopards, wild dogs and chimpanzees as family pets. Mike’s son Glen, with his wife Pat, continued the family business and pioneered hunting and explorations expeditions into remote parts of Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Sudan, Zaire and Botswana. Glen and Pat pioneered the photographic safari, setting up the first established tented camp just for photographic safaris in the early sixties in Tsavo National Park; Cottar’s Mara Camp in the Masai Mara in the seventies and Cottar’s Kimana and Cottar's Bushtops in the eighties. Glen passed away in 1996 and Pat in 2010. Glen’s son Calvin, together with his wife Louise, began Cottar’s 1920s Safari Camp in the Masai Mara in the mid-nineties and continues to this day to represent the Cottar family safari heritage. It is hoped that some of their kids, (Danni, Jasper, Charlie and Ella) will continue the safari legacy into the future!

Source: http://www.cottars.com/cottars-history#

Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 12.36.16 PM.png

Attachments

• Cottar's Brochure.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 537
Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 12.46.09 PM.png

What a family story! And apparently it still continues! It makes you step back and look at yourself....What have we done with our lives?

Thanks for posting Jerome. I enjoyed the read. Didn't know the family history but certainly heard of Glen Cottar. Would imagine that @JudyB would have known Glen.

Always interesting reading what prices and bag limits were in the day.

Also humorous that a brochure advertising hunting in Africa and Asia has a drawing of a jaguar. Potential customers probably didn't know the difference back then. The Cottars certainly didn't care that a hunting nerd would notice 80 years later. :)

here two pics from his grandson Glen.
I read somewhere, this horrible wound came from a buffalo.
Taken from Peter Beards "End of the Game". One of the most fantastic books about Africa.
"Check out the N.2 point on the brochure... Guaranteed a 100 pounder elephant..."
Jerome,what for a time.
I was so often in Africa and never saw a good tusker (today 40 pounds up in hunting areas).
Foxi

full

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross