Chapuis Chasseur SxS - Any experiences?

Louis Toadvine

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hi all,

Anyone have any experience with the Chapuis Chasseur SxS (classic or artisan)? Chapuis Chasseur Side-by-Side Shotgun

Background: I am relative neophyte to SxS shotguns but have been soaking up all of the relevant threads on this forum over the last couple weeks. These have been very helpful in developing base level understanding of fit, finish, weight, balance, chamber length, barrel length, patterning, use (hunting vs. clays), resale value, etc.

I have found very little info about this Chapuis shotgun apart from marketing materials and I am curious to see if anyone on the forum has first- or secondhand experience with this gun. I am evaluating a bunch of different choices right now. As of now I think I would like a 12 bore that can handle steel shot and with a 3" chamber ideally (for the sake of flexibility in what I shoot), so this has steered me towards modern or newer production guns vs. classic/older ones. I'm also a sucker for well-figured walnut.

These parameters have led me to options like the Chapuis, a Beretta 486 Parallelo, and the AyA No. 2. The Parallelo is a single trigger (I don't have a lot of experience with two triggers, but I understand that is the classic design) and the No. 2 is a 2 3/4" chamber, but they roughly fit what I am looking for.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 9.04.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 9.04.05 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 9.04.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 9.04.06 AM.png
    470.2 KB · Views: 64
I can't help you with the Chapuis, however I do have a 12g 486 Parallelo. Mine is a bit of a mix between classic and modern with a straight stock, beavertail forend and single trigger. It has fixed chokes in M and IC. I've had some trouble with the trigger on high clays, where the second shot won't go off. It might be the safety mechanism which is supposed to disable the triggers when the gun is vertical. There is a thread on here where someone else had the same issues. I still need to have that safety deactivated as I don't believe in safeties anyway. The only safe shotgun is when the action is open. Having said that, I haven't had any issues in the field where I use it as my upland gun. It is a pleasure to carry, especially with the straight stock. The beavertail makes it more comfortable for me to shoot as I'm used to O/U shotguns. A traditional splinter forend feels awkward to me as there is basically only the barrels to hold. To each his own...

Thanks for the response. I remember reading that thread and those comments about the Parallelo--it's what initially gave me pause about the single selective trigger. Some people seem to really like it (especially if you are conditioned on a single trigger from the rest of your guns), but I've heard several experiences of the second barrel failing to fire (on high shots with the autosafety engaging or otherwise).

Bumping this in case someone who has experience sees it grace the front page. I have an opportunity to purchase a Beretta Parallelo that fits well, but don't know how long it will stay available. Wanted to see if there were any opinions (good or bad) on the Chapuis before I moved forward.

Bumping this in case someone who has experience sees it grace the front page. I have an opportunity to purchase a Beretta Parallelo that fits well, but don't know how long it will stay available. Wanted to see if there were any opinions (good or bad) on the Chapuis before I moved forward.
Hi, there--please let me know what you want to know about it. The way it comes standard, it's a 28" barrels, ejectors, double-trigger, automatic safety, English stock shotgun. It comes in two grades--Classic (three-star wood, laser engraved) and Artisan (five-star wood, hand-engraved).

The Blitz-type action has a parallel-lugs construction, which minimizes the lateral stress put on the action and the hingepin under recoil. This action has been the same since the 1960s and it's the same we use on our dangerous-game doubles.

The Chasseur comes in 12, 16 (Beretta Gallery only), 20, and 28; it's equipped with five interchangeable chokes (C, I, M, IM, F), a hard case, and a two-year warranty. As far as side-by-sides, I've been product manager for both Beretta USA and (now) Chapuis, and Chapuis has by far the longer experience producing this configuration. I love both brands, but for a side-by-side I'd buy the Chapuis in a heartbeat--hence the Beretta Gallery also purchasing them.

If you look at the Chapuis USA Web site (I assume you are in the USA, although I may be wrong), you can check out the dealer locator by state and you may have the opportunity to handle one in person. Any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

@Tom Leoni Thank you for the overview and information--I appreciate the color. Very helpful!

BTW, here is a picture of the “Progress” action, which is common between the Chasseur, the Elan, the X4 and the Iphisi.

The arrow shows the 2mm-thick retracrable plate, operated through the top lever—that is the heart of the locking system. The two circles show the parallel lugs that make the action strong and durable.

E9CAC5DE-7992-4930-8515-D0DB50BCE65E.jpeg

Hi all,

Anyone have any experience with the Chapuis Chasseur SxS (classic or artisan)? Chapuis Chasseur Side-by-Side Shotgun

Background: I am relative neophyte to SxS shotguns but have been soaking up all of the relevant threads on this forum over the last couple weeks. These have been very helpful in developing base level understanding of fit, finish, weight, balance, chamber length, barrel length, patterning, use (hunting vs. clays), resale value, etc.

I have found very little info about this Chapuis shotgun apart from marketing materials and I am curious to see if anyone on the forum has first- or secondhand experience with this gun. I am evaluating a bunch of different choices right now. As of now I think I would like a 12 bore that can handle steel shot and with a 3" chamber ideally (for the sake of flexibility in what I shoot), so this has steered me towards modern or newer production guns vs. classic/older ones. I'm also a sucker for well-figured walnut.

These parameters have led me to options like the Chapuis, a Beretta 486 Parallelo, and the AyA No. 2. The Parallelo is a single trigger (I don't have a lot of experience with two triggers, but I understand that is the classic design) and the No. 2 is a 2 3/4" chamber, but they roughly fit what I am looking for.

Thanks.

@Louis Toadvine with all due respect, I think you've missed the plot a bit and have painted yourself into a corner with your requirements.

A couple of facts to guide you, using 12 bores as the basis of these facts since you're headed for that gauge by your post.

1.) The reason British doubles are the finest that have ever existed is for many reasons, but the biggest reason is they had infinite supplies of good wood so they could select for the smallest possible dimensions knowing the gun would endure the recoil. This in turn allowed them to be lightweight. I'm no crack shot, but I always outproduce every other hunter when rough shooting. (no, I'm not a greedy pig) It's about being able to carry a gun in ready position all day without tiring.

2.) Greener's Rule of 96 determines what a gun should weigh. The weight of the charge x96 should be the weight of the gun.

3.) A "square load", all things being equal, will produce the very best pattern for a gun. The reason is that pellet malformation occurs when the ignition slams the pellets at the back of the wad into the pellets at the front of the wad before the payload begins to move forward into the forcing cones. Thus, long shells and heavy loads have terrible shot stringing (a rope of shot rather than a WALL of shot coming at the bird) and they also have a lot of "flyers" when you look at the patterning board indicating that a lot of the pellets aren't even part of the pattern.

4.) Square loads are actually lighter loads. That's wonderful news because heavy loads are misery. A 1-1/8 ounce load is only 12.5% more pellets than a one ounce load, yet it has 50% more recoil. This accelerates wear and tear on the gun.

So now that you know what a good gun ought to be, light, fast to point, easy to carry, low recoil, and with a good pattern, you know that a 12 bore gun designed to shoot 1-1/8 ounce of shot or less is all that you'll need for any upland use case. That happens to be a 2.5" chambered gun in most cases, but you can buy a 2.75" chambered gun if you wish although the choices are fewer and they are usually heavier guns.

So now on to your collection of options you listed and why they are not very good options:

1.) Spanish guns are replicas, very crude ones in fact, they are overweight, and they are relatively low quality. My daily driver is the shotgun I got stuck with because no one wants to buy it off me. It's a Grulla 12-bore (and 16 bore) limited edition with a H&H 7-pin sidelock and southgate ejectors. MSRP today of $16,000. Total POS. It has a single trigger which is an idiotic technology designed by people that do not understand the point of two triggers. (so you can instantly select the barrel with the correct choke on the first shot!. It also is a 7lb beast because it has 3" chambers. The only thing the 3" chambers are good for is killing geese every five years.

2.) Many (but not all) Spanish guns and the crude entry level guns you're considering are a through-bolted stock design. That means there are huge stocks with hollow cavities so they can be mass produced at scale. They overbuild the stocks with junk wood so they don't crack (Warranty costs). You can't easily cast them to fit you and you can't carve for fit out of risk of carving into the void of the stock's through bolt cavity.

3.) Not only are they overpriced for what they are, the guns in your list are heavy guns, many with unreliable single triggers (don't buy the single trigger option). They are hard to carry and difficult to keep in the ready position all day.

What would I suggest you do? Buy yourself a nice, barely used, 75 year old Birmingham or Edinburgh made high-grade boxlock 12 bore ejector. Original case and accessories. Buy yourself many cases of 2.5" ammo or load your own. Enjoy owning a ferrari-quality gun that weighs 6.5lbs, can be fitted to your stature, and for which repairs are very easy in the hands of a skilled gunsmith. (and repairs are very rare indeed) A near best quality one will set you back $4000 and its a hundred times the gun as my Grulla or your proposed AyA/Chapuis/Beretta.

With your spare cash left over after the endeavor, buy yourself a Beretta O/U 12 bore 3" Onyx to lug around the Turkey blind and the goose pit for those very rare occasions when you need to sling tremendous amounts of steel shot.

@rookhawk I appreciate your advice and expertise. Yours was a name I encountered a lot in the threads I studied; I thought I might receive some guidance like this if you happened upon this post! Thank you for taking the time to provide a very detailed and thorough response.

I hope that the AH member doesn't mind me sharing this, but its an example of how far your money can go. This gun was a Charles Ingram boxlock, not best grade like a Harkom boxlock, but we'll call it "high grade". It is also very long stocked which is rare for a gun of that vintage. The gun cost $3200. After having a fitting included, and choke work, and some other minor items like rebuilding case partitions to fit the gun after a recoil pad was added, the owner is out $4000. Think about that, high quality Scottish gun in near-new condition, 75 years old, with provenance and even its original regulating paperwork at a pattern board, plus receipts, plus fitting, $4000.

If you ran to London or Edinburgh today and said "make me this" you'd be out $60,000 and I'm not certain it would be a better gun.

When I do a gun search for somebody, I typically charge a fee because it takes a dozen hours, but this is a way better outcome than buying an AyA #2 that you end up hating and find out that the hammers are soft, the ejectors quirky, and the single trigger is a notorious nightmare sitting at the gunsmith's a lot.

image1 (3).jpeg

image0 (1).jpeg

Rookhawk makes some good points.

I have been buying, tuning, and shooting double guns for many years - maybe 40 or so. I own (or have owned) American, Spanish, Italian, German, English, Scottish and even Japanese double guns during this time. The journey is an upward path and as you learn about these guns your tastes and desires will evolve.

The Chapuis is undoutedly a maker of good guns and rifles. They are not cheap.

Personally I am now at a point where I am unlikely to buy another non-British side by side gun. And never a new gun. The reason, as Rookhawk points out is the quality vs cost scale is skewed heavily in favor of classic British-made guns.

That said, however, I encourage you to buy a moderate priced gun and SHOOT it - a lot. At the same time read more on the subject and go to places (classic arms dealers, exhibits, etc) where you can get hands-on with the guns you are reading about. Some suggested authors are Burrad, Gough Thomas, Boothroyd, and Diggory Hadoke. If you digest this material you will know more about SxS guns and how they work than 98% of gun buyers and will be ready to look for guns that you will appreciate and that will require more outlay to purchase... but you will know what to look for, what to avoid, and you will have the background needed to negotiate a fair price.

Ask more questions - the only dumb questions are those that have not been asked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArtLuse26

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you