Changes in value for Dakota Safari

rblum

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Tanzania, Korea, Canada, South Africa, Alaska
Dakota was sold to Parkwest. I am curious about changes in used Dakota values since the change. There are no more newly manufactured Dakota’s. There May be a few NIB’s but none from the factory in Sturgis. Does anyone have any sense for what this is doing to the value of Dakota rifles?

In this economy, I'm not sure much is going up in value.

In this economy, I'm not sure much is going up in value.
Thanks, I am thinking more in terms of 3-5 years rather than right now. The economy will always go up and down, but what I am curious about are opinions on the impact of Dakota going out of business on the price of Dakota rifles….

It is a different market, what are people willing to pay? I could be wrong I just don't see them going up in value in a big way. I don't see them going down either. They are a solid build for sure as far as investment that is probably better answered by @rookhawk

I guess it kind of depends on what you are looking to buy And what they are asking for it. There are still as new Dakota rifles out there. If they are Safari or take down in calibers beside Dakota calibers there will still be a market.
In my mind Model 76 rifles are more desired than a 97s. I keep looking at model 10s.
I own a rifle I bought used, built on a Dakota action by Bill Wiseman, I am comfortable that my heirs will not loose much on even though it is synthetic stocked. The serial number is “African 76” and it is 416 Rigby.
I know there are those that buy guns as an investment. I only own one I speculated on that I told my wife I will not shoot. I don’t buy guns as an investment for the most part though. I buy them to use and enjoy and resale value is mostly irrelevant to me.
I second the wish for @rookhawk to chime in.

I guess it kind of depends on what you are looking to buy And what they are asking for it. There are still as new Dakota rifles out there. If they are Safari or take down in calibers beside Dakota calibers there will still be a market.
In my mind Model 76 rifles are more desired than a 97s. I keep looking at model 10s.
I own a rifle I bought used, built on a Dakota action by Bill Wiseman, I am comfortable that my heirs will not loose much on even though it is synthetic stocked. The serial number is “African 76” and it is 416 Rigby.
I know there are those that buy guns as an investment. I only own one I speculated on that I told my wife I will not shoot. I don’t buy guns as an investment for the most part though. I buy them to use and enjoy and resale value is mostly irrelevant to me.
I second the wish for @rookhawk to chime in.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I don’t buy guns as an investment either. I am curious as I have a .416 African as well as a .375 model 76. I like them both, probably only need one. They are both very beautiful firearms. I am just curious as to what the change in Sturgis will do to the retail price of Dakotas. Do I keep the .416, and have one of my sons take it after I am dead, or do I sell it in a 10 year timeframe.

Asking price for some New Haven Winchesters went way up when they closed down. The price has since stabilized lower than asked just after they closed New Haven. I have not seen the same with Dakota. Great rifles with a smaller following.
I hope you have a son with an interest in the .416. If not, it can always be sold in the future. You get to enjoy until that time.

If any know where I may buy a Dakota 76 LH 375 I would be truly grateful. I have been looking for one for several months.

I’m surprised at the cost of the new Parkwest rifles. JD Outfitters has some model 76s on Guns International. The African calibers start at $13k. That seems pretty steep. Although, had Dakota remained in business maybe theirs would be that expensive as well.

I’m surprised at the cost of the new Parkwest rifles. JD Outfitters has some model 76s on Guns International. The African calibers start at $13k. That seems pretty steep. Although, had Dakota remained in business maybe theirs would be that expensive as well.
IMHO I don’t think it’s good for them to be in direct competition with Rigby, Heym and Mauser. And to some extent I guess, Blaser. But, like you said, who knows what a new Dakota would have cost in 2022?

It’s sad to see the pricing on a new “Remington” since Parkwest acquired them as well. Definitely no longer the every man’s rifle. JD’s prices are steep on most everything it seems…..

Dakota was sold to Parkwest. I am curious about changes in used Dakota values since the change. There are no more newly manufactured Dakota’s. There May be a few NIB’s but none from the factory in Sturgis. Does anyone have any sense for what this is doing to the value of Dakota rifles?

Dakotas have and will continue to go up in value for several reasons.

1.) Don is dead. Not to be grim, but art collectors relish reading obituaries because we all know that art isn’t worth anything until the artist can’t make any more. So Don Allen era Dakotas were and are a cult following.

2.) The original dakota guns were most often bespoke. There are some incredible features on the dakotas that more often than not exceed the feature list you see on the $15000 new Mauser or Rigby options.

3.) Even if you decide to disagree with both of the above points, Parkwest is employing the same people, using the same templates, and manufacturing the very same products today. The dakotas will hold their value because they are cheaper than a brand new Parkwest. Most of the Dakotas sold on this forum as new, unfired, are finished to a quality level where they are sold in that $6000 price arena whereas a brand new identical park west would probably set you back $13000 in comparable features. So a new unfired Dakota is going to be half the price of a collector-inferior Parkwest you wait 1-2 years to receive.

I would also point out that a used Dakota is a great value. My son shoots a 375HH deluxe we bought on this forum (and was sold 1-2x previously on this forum) that has a bit of safari wear. We paid somewhere in the $4000 range for it as a used but not abused gun. If you don’t mind some scratches and dings, you’re going to pay 1/3rd less than as-new unfired with papers.

Show me a better gun for a safari than a Dakota for $4000-$6000. I dare you.

Yes the Dakota rifles are fine guns. What do you think about the Empire rifles? I've seen one on gunsinternational a while ago

Yes the Dakota rifles are fine guns. What do you think about the Empire rifles? I've seen one on gunsinternational a while ago

I’ve never owned one but they have a good reputation for a tool. As a collectible, I see no evidence they are an investment class rifle like a dakota *can* be.

Generally speaking, American custom rifles have the capital appreciation prospects of the average bass boat. Dakotas are a rare exception to that. So are vintage Griffin & Howe, Sedgley, Niedner, Biesen, and other pre-war to mid-century rifles.

Nonetheless, if you’re buying new, plan on losing money on virtually any gun.

I think the change of control is immaterial. The pre-REM distinction is what has always mattered and this will not change that. Great rifles at a great price point.

I don’t think a better DG rig exists at the $10k (all in) price point.

What about the new square bridge Mauser Magnums at that price point?

I have been searching everywhere to try to find a Dakota LH 375 H&H or even a 416. If anyone has one I am interested.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 3.06.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 3.06.50 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 3.06.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-09 at 3.06.51 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
Thanks for the screen shot. I have emailed him and called and so far no reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!