Change my 300 Win Mag

I think the 'feed' issues regards the early offerings in short magnums have been addressed by most major manufacturers. I had a Sako85 in 270WSM that fed reliably and like silk. For me the biggest advantage lies in the short action offering a bit more mounting flexibity with modern shorter scopes.
But if I owned a 300WM I liked, would I change it?? Oh probably...

Weapons lovers are always looking for others. We are infidels by nature. Speaking of weapons of course.

My main concern would be the longevity of the 300 WSM and the availability of ammunition and brass in the future. I think the 300 Win Mag is so well established, that this is not a concern, but I think the same can not be said of the WSM. The short version really only gives the advantage of slightly more efficiency and slightly less rifle weight by using a short action. In my opinion, less weight is not really desirable in a 300, as this increases recoil, all other variables being the same. If I were to look for a 300, it would be the 300 Win Mag and only the 300 Win Mag.

If my Santa Barbara is in conditions I want to customize it or improve it. The first step is to change the stock with that spine is very aggressive at the time of dishoot the 300 Winchester Magnum which very sweet nons to shoot. The next step will be to change the trigger to improve it as much as possible. All this after an evaluation of a gunsmith. What do you think of the stock?

https://www.brownells.es/MAUSER-98-STOCK-SPORTER-Fiberglass-BLK-HOGUE-Black-408000041

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 9.42.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 9.42.20 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 236
For me a .300 WSM might be an option if I needed an Ultralight Mountain Rifle or had a Short Action I dearly loved but wanted a more potent cartridge otherwise I would stick with what I have. Of course this would certainly be an excuse to add a Ultra Light Rifle to the collection if you can handle the recoil.

Hello friends, by the way of hunting in Spain, at least the one that I can afford is the monteria, it is irrelevant the length and weight of the weapon since the shooter remains static in a place waiting for the piece to shoot. Another thing would be the stalking that requires long walks with the rifle in tow.

At the end I put a Hogue stock to the Santa Barbara and left the trigger untouched on the recommendation of the gunsmith. I will also put it to shot with 180 Grains Winchester Power Point ammunition. As soon as I have everything done I will put pictures.

I sold my old, poorly balanced, heavy Ruger 300 win mag because my Winchester model 70 featherweight 300 wsm is a great shooter for me. I use nosler 180 Accubonds and I don't miss the old gun at all.
When I pick up a gun and put it up on my shoulder that fit is important!
No feed issue! Just a lot of one shot kills .

Last edited:
Putting to shot of my Santa of the 300 WM to 50 meters with Burris Fullfield II 3-9 × 40 viewer. Winchester Ammunition 180 grains PowerPoint. The shot that goes away is because the assembly was not tight.
20190127190159.jpeg
20190127_211924.jpeg

when it was time to buy my first magnum, I thought about it a long time and bought a 300wsm.
But, if I already had a 300 wm, I wouldn't even consider switching to the wsm.

You already have a 8x68S, why not convert the 300 WM to a 6,5x68?

HWL

You already have a 8x68S, why not convert the 300 WM to a 6,5x68?

HWL
In Spain it is a hassle at the bureaucratic level to undertake any substantial modification of a weapon. Besides being expensive. Otherwise I did not think so and the 458 Lott that I have would convert it to the 458 Express

In Spain it is a hassle at the bureaucratic level to undertake any substantial modification of a weapon. Besides being expensive. Otherwise I did not think so and the 458 Lott that I have would convert it to the 458 Express

This is because a 6,5x68 is a barrel change, a .458 Express is just to ream out the chamber?

HWL

This is because a 6,5x68 is a barrel change, a .458 Express is just to ream out the chamber?

HWL
In both cases, the weapon must be sent to an organization called the Official Evidence Bank, which makes the relevant marks. That counting that the Administration authorizes well the reamed of the chamber well the change of cannon and cartridge that shoots the weapon. The Spanish Weapons Regulation is very restrictive.

There are only two countrys on this planet, that do not registrate firearms,..... USA and Afganistan.... may be S0malia....

Your choice should be clear...

;)

HWL

I'm finally going to try to sell my old Santa Barbara as I bought a front-wheel drive Volkswagen Tiguan and it's really not a big deal for the country and I'll end up damaging it. That is why I want to afford an old vehicle but with all-wheel drive and more suitable for the field. And with all the pain in my heart, the only way to pay for it is by emptying the gunsmith.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg