Change my 300 Win Mag

Hello in Spain the only two WSM relatively easy to find are the 270 and 300. The others do not say that they have not but they are very difficult to find.

Hello in Spain the only two WSM relatively easy to find are the 270 and 300. The others do not say that they have not but they are very difficult to find.

I have a .270 WSM in Tikka T3 Lite. Great shooting gun but kicks tremendously due to weight of the gun!

I really should think about using the weapons I have and stop messing around. Let's see if I decide to put to shot the Santa Barbara of 300 Winny and make it thunder real hunting.

The 180gr Winchester PP has been eclipsed by a host of better solutions for almost every game animal for which a thirty is appropriate.

@Red Leg, I won't disagree with your statement on better (newer) bullets being available and most of us use them. I love Swift A Frames, but I still use Remington Core-Lokt from time to time and they produce the same results. I put the Core-Lokt in the same category as the Winchester PP. Yes, an old design, but it still works. To some degree, the marketing of premium bullets is not a lot different than the marketing of new calibers.

@Red Leg, I won't disagree with your statement on better (newer) bullets being available and most of us use them. I love Swift A Frames, but I still use Remington Core-Lokt from time to time and they produce the same results. I put the Core-Lokt in the same category as the Winchester PP. Yes, an old design, but it still works. To some degree, the marketing of premium bullets is not a lot different than the marketing of new calibers.
Touché - the Core-Lokt was always a reasonable alternative to the partition on everything but thick-skinned game, and the really high velocity impacts where the mechanical "bonding" solution was not optimum. I believe Remington is finally producing a true bonded core called the Core-Lokt Ultra or some such thing. If a rifle likes them, I think they are a fine deer bullet. If I am going all the way to Bunga Bunga Land, then I'll use a better bullet.

:A Quiet::A Quiet:
I would love to. That doubt fits.

Truth be told. I could not decide or part with any .30 caliber. Thus, I now have the wonderful problem of owning all the “great .30’s of past and present”. That being 300 H&H, 300 WM, and 300 WSM. Now that confesssed , I can admit that there is no favoriting among them. I shoot what mood and/or nostalgia dictates that particular day. Of course this will not aide you in your decision...but why choose between the blonde, the brunette or the redhead when time permits you to have all three. Just not all at once. :A Smoke:

Good luck!

R.

I have both. I got the WSM first based on technical specs. Less powder, no belt, longer neck blah blah. In the end it doesn't add up to a hill of beans in a practical sense with 1 exception.

The WSM with the right bullet and superformance powder is smoking fast. I'm pushing 155 amax at over 3300fps.

Now the ammo is cheaper for the WM, brass more available and with hunting weight bullets there is absolutely no difference.

Keep the WM and be happy unless you want to shoot fragile bullets at varmints at long range

Last edited:
I agree with the rest, stick with the 300 Win. Mag. If you really want a change the classic 300 H&H is a fun caliber although you would probably need to take up reloading.

If you have the 300 win. mag. might as well keep it you don't gain much by going to one of the short mags. I myself have the 3oo RCM. It has a 20in. barrel and is a handy rifle. The round feeds great as it does not have the rebated rim like the Winchester version. It is also easy to reload but frankly in that 20in barrel I get a little over 3000fps with 165grain bullets and 2800 with the 180's. A good modern 30-06 will do that in a bolt action with a good hand load. One thing about the little ruger it puts both the 180 and 165 grain bullets in the same group at 100yards. A lot of people say the 300 rcm will go away but it out sells the 338rcm and I see that Hornady has come out with a 6.5 version called the 6.5 PRC.

Oscar 1975, the staff at Burris scopes have tried the Tikka in both 300WSM and the old 300WM. They say the 300WSM kicks noticeably harder in the Tikkas. The shorter action (making it a bit lighter) may negate the less powder, lower recoil.
!

This doesn't make sense. Tikka uses 1 action for everything, but with different bolt stops and magazines. Same weight gun, firing the same weight bullet, with pretty similar charge weights.

Reactions: lcq
This doesn't make sense. Tikka uses 1 action for everything, but with different bolt stops and magazines. Same weight gun, firing the same weight bullet, with pretty similar charge weights.
Milehighshooter, personally I don’t know. That’s just what they told me about the recoil. I was just assuming the action was shorter because it seemed reasonable it would be since that was the purpose of the WSM cartridges. At least that was what the “rags” were saying.

Milehighshooter, after reviewing the Tikka website it appears the new model is the same length action. Sorry, my info is several years old from the Burris guys utilizing the “old model” which according to the website did indeed have two different actions.
I guess they are trying to reduce the manufacturing costs now by using common parts.
At least that’s the way I interpreted it. You might see it differently looking at the “old model” pdf.

Thanks for all the answers. I like having aroused your interest. Probably I will continue with the old Santa Barbara of the 300 Win Mag. I hope to be able to put pictures of some piece shot down with him in a not too distant time.

Stay with the .300 Win.. I'm going to Namibia this year. When I talked with my PH about rifles, I wanted to know what I could get ammo for if the airlines gave my ammo a side trip to China. I gave him a list that included a .300 WBY. and he said it would be the most difficult to find ammo for. If a Weatherby is hard, I can't imagine a WSM.
HOWEVER... if you want one get one! That's always been my philosophy.

In Spain the 300 Winchester Magnum is one of the cartridges most used in all types of hunting. There are three star cartridges in my country on 30-06, 7 RM and 300 WM although you can see the WSM and much the 338 WM.

I own both the 300 wm and wsm. If I had to part with one. It would be the wsm. Keep the one u have.

Oscar, no te compliques, mejor el 300WM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg