Change my 300 Win Mag

oscar1975

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hello, I always pestering. I know and I apologize. The fact is that my restless mind makes me wonder that having a 300 WM it is imperative to change it for a WSM 300. The only advantage that I see the old magnum is that it moves higher tip weights with more solvency. Otherwise it can be said that it has been surpassed by the "plump" 300WSM. I think about selling my Santa Barbara Deluxe in 300 WM and look at a more modern rifle in a cartridge like the 300 WSM but I also think that the almost pure M98 lock of my old Santa Barbara is a great asset. What do you think?

I want to take this set to hunt female mountain goat in Spain. What tip to use in 300 WM to take advantage of some meat. I have a box of Winchester Power Point in 180 grains.
20171223_093032.jpg

The 300 WM is a great cartridge and the ammo is probably more available than the 30 WSM, particularly outside the US. If the Winchester 180 gr bullets group well in your gun, they will do fine on a wide range of animals, including mountain goat.

Hello, I always pestering. I know and I apologize. The fact is that my restless mind makes me wonder that having a 300 WM it is imperative to change it for a WSM 300. The only advantage that I see the old magnum is that it moves higher tip weights with more solvency. Otherwise it can be said that it has been surpassed by the "plump" 300WSM. I think about selling my Santa Barbara Deluxe in 300 WM and look at a more modern rifle in a cartridge like the 300 WSM but I also think that the almost pure M98 lock of my old Santa Barbara is a great asset. What do you think?

Personally I would retain the original. Maybe but a 300wsm instead of “Messing” with your really nice original. My thoughts only.

The WSM from what I’ve heard and seen doesn’t feed as smoothly (my cousin has one) falls behind in heavier bullets which makes it less versatile if game gets larger.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Shawn
I had also read that some rifles were feeding problems with this cartridge. Lonque makes attractive these short cartridges is that they are made more compact and manageable rifles, which when recharging is used less gunpowder and that somewhat reduces its recoil.

Stay with the 300 WM. It’s a great all around rifle cartridge. I have taken everything from a porcupine to and eland with it.

.300 Wm just fine!! Stay with it!

Ammo available most places. I've taken bear, kudu, wildebeest, and elk with mine using 180 grain no problems

Thanks a lot to everyone. The fact is that I also have an 8x68S and is not redundant to have a 300 WM rifle and another 8x68S. The Voere of 8x68S already presented in the forum.

Oscar 1975, the staff at Burris scopes have tried the Tikka in both 300WSM and the old 300WM. They say the 300WSM kicks noticeably harder in the Tikkas. The shorter action (making it a bit lighter) may negate the less powder, lower recoil.
The older 300WM is available almost anywhere in the world as mentioned.

Ammo: I have found the Winchester 180 grain Power Points destructive at closer ranges. The bullets are a bit soft. They may do OK at longer ranges. JME

Best of luck on that mountain goat!

Oscar 1975, the staff at Burris scopes have tried the Tikka in both 300WSM and the old 300WM. They say the 300WSM kicks noticeably harder in the Tikkas. The shorter action (making it a bit lighter) may negate the less powder, lower recoil.
The older 300WM is available almost anywhere in the world as mentioned.

Ammo: I have found the Winchester 180 grain Power Points destructive at closer ranges. The bullets are a bit soft. They may do OK at longer ranges. JME

Best of luck on that mountain goat!
Thank you very much. ;-)

The .300 WSM is a solution to a non-existent problem. The 180gr Winchester PP has been eclipsed by a host of better solutions for almost every game animal for which a thirty is appropriate.

Last edited:
Excellent phrase yes sir. It's all about marketing. Renewed or die.
That said - I am all for buying a new rifle - no justification needed!

Like others, I would recommend keeping what you have..

If you didnt already have a 300 magnum in the safe, I might give some additional thought to the WSM.. but, thats not the case here..

If you simply must have a new rifle (I am always 100% in favor of this!) get something completely different.. and if you really like the WSM's, consider either the 7mm WSM (I have a M70 in 7mm WSM and love it), or if you really want to get sporty, take a look at the .325 WSM..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg