Change in LOP means a change in scope position?

curtism1234

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I figure you are the 2nd measurement in the "measure twice, cut once" rule

I am ordering an aftermarket stock for a rifle. The current setup puts the scope magnification dial right at the same spot as the bolt. So operating the bolt quickly can result in a bloody pinch :mad:

If I can math, shortening the LOP 3/4" means I could (in theory) move the scope forward 3/4"???

Or am I wrong?

Thanks

If there is no room for the scope (whatever type) to move forward or backward in the rings due to the position of the bases (distance apart and position on the receiver) then you are hooped.
ie. The scope is already all the way forward.

If there is no room for the scope (whatever type) to move forward or backward in the rings due to the position of the bases (distance apart and position on the receiver) then you are hooped.
ie. The scope is already all the way forward.

I should note I have a Weaver full length multi slot base. For whatever logistical reason after playing with it years ago, I settled on the current position.

If the lop thing works, I could just keep the same ring locations on the scope but move the whole rig forward

If you can move the bases "away" (closer to the muzzle) then you should ensure your eyeball or forehead won't come into contact with the scope.
Where the bolt comes up to meet the scope should also change.

I'll be interested to see how the experiment works out.

Why the change in stock?

It's a old Savage tupperware stock (my first centerfire so it has more sentimental value than monetary). It is good for up to 150 yards but it can sometimes shoot very erratically depending on forearm hold. I'd like to be able to take it to Africa in 2022 but right now I don't entirely trust it as is.

I am still going back and forth in my head to get a Boyd's walnut/laminate or buck up for an ultralight McMillan. There is something about buying a $700 stock for a $300 rifle... It feels great and the 7mag weighs in at 7.8 pounds scoped so a top of the line ultralight stock with the same profile would be good.

I figure you are the 2nd measurement in the "measure twice, cut once" rule

I am ordering an aftermarket stock for a rifle. The current setup puts the scope magnification dial right at the same spot as the bolt. So operating the bolt quickly can result in a bloody pinch :mad:

If I can math, shortening the LOP 3/4" means I could (in theory) move the scope forward 3/4"???

Or am I wrong?

Thanks

Simply, you can use the next taller set of rings for more room if this does not throw off your line of sight to much.

I have a short neck and shoot lefty so I generally want a rifle I can mount a handgun scope on forward of the action so I can work the bolt quickly left handed. My favorite LOP is 12". If you have your rifle rebarreled the easiest mount to locate a scope forward is a Weaver 92A base. The barrel diameter is reduced to .800 diameter about 4" forward of receiver and turned cylinder for about 4" to mount the Weaver 92a base.

Yes. If you shorten the LOP you can reset the rings on a Weaver base farther forward and you can likely slide the scope within the rings farther forward. Between those two adjustments, I am certain you could create significant additional eye relief.

I have a short neck and shoot lefty so I generally want a rifle I can mount a handgun scope on forward of the action so I can work the bolt quickly left handed. My favorite LOP is 12". If you have your rifle rebarreled the easiest mount to locate a scope forward is a Weaver 92A base. The barrel diameter is reduced to .800 diameter about 4" forward of receiver and turned cylinder for about 4" to mount the Weaver 92a base.

I own one of the original Steyr Scout Rifles with a forward mounted scope. I can shoot it accurately enough. I just don't get it. Maybe I should do more scouting (n)(y). If I am going to use that sort of sight arrangement, then I find a red-dot far quicker and more intuitive to use. Though, you are correct; with only a 12" LOP and any recoil at all, you will need something to achieve eye relief. Do you use a standard scope with that arrangement or long eye relief scope?

Check out the Boyd AT One. LOP is adjustable as is cheek piece. The latter may help with a higher ring setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross