Chamois hunting - New Zealand

Good timing, they look fantastic in their winter coat. The bucks can do some silly things in the rut.
Just shy of two months and we are off to NZ.
Hunting out of Wanaka. Do you know Stacey and Jen Anderson?

In 2000 we were on a bicycle tour in Tasmania and the South Island. Bicycled over Arthur’s Pass in the freezing cold rain. Got soaked to the bone. Still it was an awesome experience!

Just shy of two months and we are off to NZ.
Hunting out of Wanaka. Do you know Stacey and Jen Anderson?

@RogerHeintzman Are you planning to bring your trophies back to the US or have the taxidermy work done in NZ? I contacted @Bhfs300 after reading his impressive NZ hunt report and booked a Red Stag & Tahr hunt for 2019. Supposedly with the right export forms in NZ, a hunter can brings capes, skulls, antlers, etc back to the US in a checked bag.

The guy who does the show “The Game Chef” has a restaurant in Wanaka. You might try it out.

C1F27929-DC06-4A1C-A377-346016E41831.jpeg
@Bhfs300 after reading his impressive NZ hunt report and booked a Red Stag & Tahr hunt for 2019. Supposedly with the right export forms in NZ, a hunter can brings capes, skulls, antlers, etc back to the US in a checked bag.
Wish I would have taken a good photo of the bag here is the only photo that kind of has the bag. We just cleared customs in Hawaii and I tried to click my heals. The bag is on the top of the cart on our way to check in for the flight home.
It was a 30-50 side zipper from army surplus.
Tom
Capes have to be salted and skull caps and skulls have to be boiled and clean but we did that in an afternoon.

I am planning to get back to NZ next year. I've been a few times, once into a Landsborough ballot block, once into the jolley valley, and once I was over there with the wife on holiday and I snuck away for a day hunt for arapawa ram.

I have shot an average tahr, but never a chamois. Both tahr hunts were DIY, but I was there was a kiwi bloke in the group whose hunted heaps over there, so he knew where to go, and what to do.

This time it'll just be me and a mate. We are hoping to get some time on chamois, and were looking at guided hunts, but they are $9k for Tahr/Chamois combo now...

Do a search for James Scott he is a helicopter pilot on the West Coast. He will be able to fly you in to an area with chamois. It will be a lot less than $9K.

Nice video thanx for sharing!
Going to your country may4th for stag and fallow with Manuka point
A dream hunt of my 62 year life!
Gotta do it while I can !

Do a search for James Scott he is a helicopter pilot on the West Coast. He will be able to fly you in to an area with chamois. It will be a lot less than $9K.
thanks mate, ill give him a call. ive flown with him when i went in the ballow block the first year, and was meant to fly with him the second year, but the weather kept us off the west coast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg