Chamber-through erosion on Browning a bolt 375 h&h

FRANSIE216

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm new on this forum and have a question

I own a Browning A bolt 375 h&h with a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12 x 50 scope on it. I owned it since 2012. Never han a problem with it and hunted quite a lot of animals with it. While cleaning it I saw some rather big dimples just after the chamber-through about a inch into the barrel. Search on the internet and saw people are talking about chamber-through erosion. Is it a big issue and will it compromise accuracy a lot? And can it be fixed on the Browning. Can someone give me some clarity on this. Thank you

Have you shot the rifle recently and noticed any fall off in its accuracy? If it were me, I'd take it to my local gunsmith and have him take a look at it with a borescope and go from there.

Welcome to AH.
I’ve owned a few A-Bolts and never experienced that issue. As 375 Ruger Fan stated, I’d have a gunsmith check it out.

Hi guys

I'm new on this forum and have a question

I own a Browning A bolt 375 h&h with a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12 x 50 scope on it. I owned it since 2012. Never han a problem with it and hunted quite a lot of animals with it. While cleaning it I saw some rather big dimples just after the chamber-through about a inch into the barrel. Search on the internet and saw people are talking about chamber-through erosion. Is it a big issue and will it compromise accuracy a lot? And can it be fixed on the Browning. Can someone give me some clarity on this. Thank you

Hello FRANSIE216,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

if your bore erosion is from numerous firings, perhaps it can be buffed to remove some of the damage.

However, if it’s still shooting accurately, I wouldn’t worry about it just yet.

If it is due to moisture damage to your rifle, since I live in coastal Alaska, I sympathize.

Boring old Vaseline is one of the best rust inhibitors.

But, it will turn walnut stock material very dark if used in excess (as will any grease, gun oil and so forth).

Furthermore, any grease or oil in the bore, beyond the thinnest film of it, will upon firing, spike chamber pressure up sharply, risking a stuck casing or even injury to the shooter.

As for repair to your damaged rifle bore, I agree with those who have suggested having a Professional Gunsmith examine it.

Firearms only have two enemies:
Politicians and Rust.

Perhaps we should add a 3rd enemy ... throat erosion.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Giday Fransie216 and welcome to the A H forums

Never heard it described that way before, (through). Throat wear is usually how its stated and any rifle if shot enough will have it to some degree depending on caliber, loads etc.
Hard to image a hunter shooting a .375 enough to have that kind of wear. I would probably say as above, have it bore scoped, and if present and bad enough, the barrel could be set back and re chambered to get the ugly part out.
If it still shoots as it did, I would ignore it.
I was at my dealers the other day picking up a 70 odd year rifle that appeared to be in very good shape. He asked if I wanted to look at it with his new bore scope. Nope! If it looks good to the eye in good light, its good enough for me with an old rifle of course. The proof is the pudding, gotta shoot it.

FRANSIE216, welcome to the AH forum! Ditto the gunsmith check. “Better safe than sorry!” as the old saying goes.
Best of luck figuring out the issue!

Welcome to AH! We look forward to you sharing your stories!

Welcome to AH, I have never had a problem with Browning A-Bolts. Did you clean the gun every year after use? If so I’m surprised there was a problem. If if doesn’t affect accuracy I would just clean the rifle properly and call it a day. Once the damage is done it’s hard to get it perfect again.

Welcome! Nothing like AH for information and getting people on their way to Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg