CFE223 powder in mid bore cartridges

Thanks much for those numbers Bob! Pretty impressive they are too.
I loaded up a box with CFE and starting at 54 grs and ending at 58 as a safe starting point, basically using Varget info as they are very similar in burn rate.
Energy levels with those loads you have are up in the 3200 ft/lbs range.

Biggest problem with the .348 these days is finding bullets to load that dont cost an arm and a leg!

Thanks again Bob!

Thanks much for those numbers Bob! Pretty impressive they are too.
I loaded up a box with CFE and starting at 54 grs and ending at 58 as a safe starting point, basically using Varget info as they are very similar in burn rate.
Energy levels with those loads you have are up in the 3200 ft/lbs range.

Biggest problem with the .348 these days is finding bullets to load that dont cost an arm and a leg!

Thanks again Bob!
@sesstoplem
You are more than welcome mate.
With the 250gn Woodleigh or Barnes it would be absolutely fantastic.
As a kid growing up I wanted a 348 after reading how it would drive a 250gr bullet from one end of a deer to the other.
Oh well I ended up with the Whelen instead
The 200gr would be devastating on pigs
Bob

Sadly I have I think 10 of the Barnes left and half a box of the FTX 200 grain.

I remember my dad who was a huge fan of the rifle and round dumped a big cow elk with one of his. Hit her in the lungs and her feet just fell out from under her and she collapsed right there.
It was always a favorite of hunters in Alaska and considered a good round for the big bears up there.

Sadly I have I think 10 of the Barnes left and half a box of the FTX 200 grain.

I remember my dad who was a huge fan of the rifle and round dumped a big cow elk with one of his. Hit her in the lungs and her feet just fell out from under her and she collapsed right there.
It was always a favorite of hunters in Alaska and considered a good round for the big bears up there.
@sesstoplem
It's good to have memories like that.
The 450 Alaskan made on the same case is an awesome round as well but I think it may be a bit to much of a good thing.
I have sent projectiles to the USA and England before so if you want I could probably send some Woodleighs to you as well. Just let me know and I can work out how much it would cost.
Bob

Thanks Bob, but its really not worth the time, trouble and cost to just make holes in the paper. I see Woody's around here from time to time, and will keep my peepers peeled.
Meantime I do see the Hornady 200 gr FN here and there.

Thanks Bob, but its really not worth the time, trouble and cost to just make holes in the paper. I see Woody's around here from time to time, and will keep my peepers peeled.
Meantime I do see the Hornady 200 gr FN here and there.
@sesstoplem
The 200gr will still hit plenty hard enough for most things anyway

A bit off topic but 10.5 gr. of the stuff works really well for making sub-sonic rounds with 194 gr. bullets in a 300 Blackout. It gives me just a tad over 1000 fps.

A bit off topic but 10.5 gr. of the stuff works really well for making sub-sonic rounds with 194 gr. bullets in a 300 Blackout. It gives me just a tad over 1000 fps.
Are you sure that’s CFE223 and not CFE BLK?
I use CFE223 in 222, 223, 7mm-08, 30-30, and 375 H&H (235 & 250 Barnes). It shoots fast and snug little groups in all.

Are you sure that’s CFE223 and not CFE BLK?
I use CFE223 in 222, 223, 7mm-08, 30-30, and 375 H&H (235 & 250 Barnes). It shoots fast and snug little groups in all.
See there what happens when a senior gets up early after only a few hours of sleep, goes out deer hunting, shoots a deer, drags it home and hangs it. My brain must have taken a nap, your right I'm using CFEBLK. And even at subsonic levels the groups are nothing short of amazing.

See there what happens when a senior gets up early after only a few hours of sleep, goes out deer hunting, shoots a deer, drags it home and hangs it. My brain must have taken a nap, your right I'm using CFEBLK. And even at subsonic levels the groups are nothing short of amazing.
:ROFLMAO: :LOL: Well, congratulations on living to be a senior and…getting a deer!

Has anyone here tried this CFE223 powder in either the 358 win , 35 whelen, or 9.3x62?
Looking at the Hodgdon website for the cartridges you mention, they all show BLC-2 loadings which Hodgdon lists right next to CFE 223 in their burn chart. Checking cartridges that Hodgdon shows loadings for both powders, ie CFE 223 & BLC-2, in each loading they are 1/2 to 1 grain of each other. Thus, if I were trying to find a load for CFE 223 not shown, I would look at BLC-2 and back off the top loads 3-5 grains, then work my way up to the most accurate, or until high pressure signs start showing.

Best of luck!

Resized_Screenshot_20220301-070817_Chrome(2).jpeg

I recently loaded 225 gr TSX FB in my .358 Hawk. Worked up to 69.8 gr (slightly compressed) CFE223 and Fed 210. COAL 3.330. Shot .625 moa at 2885 fps over OHLER 35. No signs of pressure. primers not flat, no cratering, case head expansion .0005 if any at all. Pretty stellar for a 30-06 case. 23" barrel on a win 70 classic action. I think the rifle will do a little better...it was a little windy and these are new cases. This was my first go with CFE223. Also shot 2000MR but ran out of case volume before reaching desired velocity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dee

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross