Ceska 550 or Ruger nº1

oscar1975

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hello again I am going to give the can, the fact is that I like the rifle Ceska in caliber 458 Lott, but my attention enough Ruger No. 1 rifle in that caliber, and thus to create a little controversial and not-disturb course, I put this poll What caliber rifle at 458 Lott, Ceska or Ruger?

Thank you,

Oscar.

I own a couple of No 1s the biggest being a 416 Rem. They are nice from the factory with the exception of the recoil pad and rear sight. The recoil on the 416 is very manageable. With practice one can become very proffecient shooting and reloading the No. 1.

I also own a couple of 550's. One is a 375 H&H and has been upgraded by American Hunting Rifles. It is as slick a bolt gun I have ever shot. Very nice. The other is a factory 9.3 by 62 and is very rough. If you go with the 550 plan on having it upgraded. Look at AHR's website for some ideas.

In a nutshell you will give up some firepower with the No. 1 but not much and have a nice, accurate, smooth factory rifle.
The 550 is rough but great with upgrades.

Last edited:
Thank you

Hello, thank you very much for your response, I love the Ruger No. 1, but the problem that I see is that for the 458 Lott maybe the rifle is light and I will handle the worst setback. I have a Ceska size in 375 H & H, and I like the rifle. I wanted opinions and yours is worth much, thanks.

Oscar.

Hi Oscar, although I think the Ruger #1 is a beautiful rifle to look at and to hold and to shoot I would lean towards the 550 because of the additional firepower of a magazine rifle. I assume that since you would be getting the .458 Lott it would be a dangerous game rifle and the need for a fast follow up shot could be critical.

To my I like very much both rifles:), I have a Ceska caliber 375 H & H Magnum, but I also attracts the # 1 Ruger and as I us citizens experts on issues of arms, I like your opinion.

Thank you,

Oscar.

I am a big Ruger no. 1 fan, but I would not want one in a 458 Lott..I am not particularly a Ceska fan perfering my DG rifles to be Mausers or Win. pre 64 mod. 70s....

In .458 I would go with the the Ceska however...

Ideally for me would be the Ruger No. 1 in either .416 or the new 450-400-3" or even the 9.3x74...Even the std 458 in a No.1 is a bit grim for me.

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I know my limitations in regards to recoil, so many of our clients do not...

I agree with the other members on the CZ 550 and other rifles. They are an excellent platform to begin with but really need to be worked over as they are as rough as a corn-cob. I have one in 458 Lott and I will send it to AHR for the necessary upgrades. This is money well spent in my opinion.

Hi there Oscar.

i own a CZ 550 in 416 Rigby and am liking quite well. I have always shot Weatherby but didn't like the heavies (416 & 460). I looked at both the Ruger and larger caliber rifles but, like the posters before me, I like to have a few bullets in as backup. I've taken it to Alaska for the big brown mean bears and it performed just fine, even as wet as it was during that trip. Additionally, the recoil is tolerable compared to the larger calibers and pushes a 400 grain soft or a 450 solid...I hope I never need anything bigger!

My recommendation would be to buy them both and find out which one shoots to your liking and sell the other (gunsamerica.com has worked well for me).

Good luck and most of all, enjoy the shopping!

-Derek

Thank you for your answers friends.

I will appreciate your answers, so I buy the Ceska, but it will be impossible to tune, because I do not have budget for it, I can not buy two rifles and then choose which I like more for the same reason the budget. I am now saving money. I have been saved around 600 € ($ 797) and the rifle in Spain is € 1100 ($ 1462), so I still have to save some time. When I say I like the rifle shot and send photos.

Thanks for everything,

Oscar.

Hi, I have some news: Yesterday some of the messages exchanged with the dealer that I am going to buy rifle 458 Lott. The topic was a butt of plywood, and I would like my Lott was fitted with a butt like that. The dealer replied that can be asked to order, and also told me that the importer and distributor of a rifle was left alone in this size in stock, so the dealer called me and told me to pay him a percentage of the rifle and I save that until I could pay the remainder. And so we did, so I am saving but I am certain that I will be holding a rifle Ceska in caliber 458 Lott. Thanks everybody, I am very happy.

Best regards, :bighello:

Oscar.

Oscar, Glad to hear that you'll be getting your Ceska in 458 Lott. Look forward to hearing from you once you receive your new rifle and have a chance to "play" with it :gunjamming:.

Thank you very much friend, I shall have to wait a bit yet (I hope later this year to take it between my hands). When I have the rifle, I promise to put photos on the forum. ;)

Best regards,

Oscar.

.D: The wait will be tough.:nailbiter:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross