cerekote vs.....

7MAG

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Alright so anyone who knows about cerakote has seen their cerakote vs. series, well I believe its complete BS. I tried Cerakoted for the first time and immediately chipped it off my barrel. Apparently, this is the strongest finish out there. However, bluing seemed to hold up better in the past; although, bluing is not my preferred choice for this rifle. Does anyone have any other coating recommendations?

Contact Gary Junk, Arctic Gun Works. His Arctic Coat has worked very well on some stainless guns for me. I believe it’s something he picked up in the military.

Seems strange. I have a half dozen hunting rifles coated in Cerakote and none have ever chipped.
My Win .280 AI has been Cerakoted for over 12 years. It has bruises and marks on the coating from use. Maybe who ever applied the Cerakote did not prepare the surface well enough or sprayed it on too thick.

Black Nitride. No chipping, no rust

PVD Coating, Black Nitride

I've seen cerakote chip, and done it myself but it took a heck of an impact. I have one gun where I broke the stock from a fall but the cerakote was fine. Not sure where you're located, and who did it but there are a bunch of good guys applying it. When I lived up North, I used Mad Pig Customs several times. Had a couple done in Alabama and Georgia, and about to send a gun off here in Texas.

I have done a lot of Cerakote jobs, both H series oven cure & C series air dry, on alloy, stainless steel, & carbon steel. The surface finish with the blast media is critical , so is cleanliness & de greasing, if that is not correct, you are wasting your time, thin coats are required i have never seen it chip off if done correctly

No experience with it other than seeing a few.

Years ago there was a proccess called Parkerising. Is this still done?aybe another option

Curious to recommendations for nitride.

I had two rifles nitrided by a local guy a few years ago. He sent parts out for nitride and the firing pin for my Dakota didn’t come back. He had a hard time getting a replacement from Dakota.
The company that did the nitride work had pics of parts coming in and going out. They paid for the missing part.
The local smith swore off dealing with nitride because of this.

My Dakota was someone else’s custom build and had a soft Teflon finish.

I have a couple Winchester 70 Classic Stainless rifles that I would like nitrided.

I have 4 ceracoted rifles one of which I carry daily from the Friday before thanksgiving to the 10th of February (our deer season) it stays in my truck the whole time and hasn’t chipped at all and I’m pretty rough on it.

My limited knowledge of cerakote and similar is it is a special paint. So like any paint, the prep work is what really matters. But I’m the end it’s still a paint and not immune to chipping or scratching. It’s just more durable than your normal rattle can.

What’s the best option for no bake coatings?

This would be for a barbell, but I need something that won’t chip and will offer some protection.

I have a Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby (originally 375 H&H). It has Remington's TriNyte finish which is a type of nitride finish I believe. The Talley QR rings were Cerakoted. I hunted with it during incessant drizzle and rain in Sept in Alaska. It was outside the tent the entire trip. I kept electrical tape over the muzzle (just for protection from mud, etc). Zero rust except for the shiny bolt "striker" which I rubbed off when I got home. So I'm happy with both "finishes".

No experience with it other than seeing a few.

Years ago there was a process called Parkerising. Is this still done? Maybe another option
I put together a varmint rifle: A Ruger .22-250. Had the metal parkerized. Held up great. Just isn't super attractive. Would probably stay away from it for a nice rifle.

Any recommendations for where to send it?
I use Alaska Custom Firearms and Wild West Guns both located in Anchorage. Not sure where you are located but Nitride has become a pretty popular process especially with the AR folks, you shouldn't have much trouble finding a place.

Surface prep is everything for coatings. I have cerakote on a rifle but it's got no mileage for a proper eval. Isn't there a special (acid etch? and/or roughing procedure that is recommended (but skipped by most DIYers) to ensure proper bonding? Machine shop friend was pointing that out to people.) I have the other product Ti-kote on another rifle with excessive mileage and it's just perfect since '07! 'Have some factory Parkerized and plastic powder-coated guns. While they're not the prettiest finish, it is pretty durable and weather-resistant. DIY at home isn't exactly the same process that'd be used to apply by the mfr or gunsmith. I always try to baby my guns, as my hunt and life depend on 'em. Going to duracote a short-range brush gun for my Son (he'll scratch it to hell in no time up in AK. But he likes his guns to have character.) Can't beat brushed (dulled) Stainless. Coated with air and sometimes water, then rem oil or ballistol.

Last edited:
What’s the best option for no bake coatings?

This would be for a barbell, but I need something that won’t chip and will offer some protection.
Cerakote and probably all of its competitors offer no bake or low bake options. It’s pretty common to coat metal components as well as composite/plastic components.

I use Alaska Custom Firearms and Wild West Guns both located in Anchorage. Not sure where you are located but Nitride has become a pretty popular process especially with the AR folks, you shouldn't have much trouble finding a place.
Cerakote seems to be the most widely available

Cerakote seems to be the most widely available

For sure. And cerakote has more color options. But, if you want a metal finish that won't rust, chip and is more durable, Nitride is excellent. And more expensive.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you