AH fanatic
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Rowland Ward (RW) & Association des Guides de Grande Chasse (AGGC)
Hunted
senegal, guinea, ivory coast, burkina faso, benin, cameroun, central africa, tanzania, zimbabwe, south africa
Cameron Hopkins came last february in CAR to hunt Eland, Bongo and Giant forest hog. We started the hunt pretty good with a very good red river hog the first morning. In 4 days he shot a very nice old Eland and a buffalo over a call. So, we decided to drive to the Bongo camp and I think mother '' luck '' was looking at us that morning because she gave us this big bodied lion that Cameron shot on his own off rest... We were not lucky on Bongo (mother ''luck'' was looking to someone else), after 9 days and nights not one came to the salt lick, I don't know why because the conditions were good, hunting!!!!!! but on the way Cameron got a fantastic warthog and a big giant forest hog, he is the only this year to get the 3 pigs in the same safari... Well done Cameron, hope to hunt with you again one day.

watermark.php

Buffalo

watermark.php

Buffalo hunted by calling

watermark.php

Big Warthog

watermark.php

Big Giant Forest Hog

watermark.php

Lion hunted early morning

watermark.php

One shot kill on this big Lion!

watermark.php

Cameron crossing river

watermark.php

Crossing swamp

watermark.php

Old 49.5 inch Lord Derby Eland

watermark.php

Lord Derby Eland

watermark.php

Red River Hog

watermark.php

Nice old Bushbuck

watermark.php

Red Flanked Duiker

watermark.php

4 inch Bush Duiker

watermark.php

Blue Duiker

watermark.php

Sunset in CAR behind a Lord Derby Eland

watermark.php

One of the few nights at camp!

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like a very successful hunt. Love the sunset picture of the Eland trophy.
So, help me out here with a point of clarification; "shot a very nice old Eland and a buffalo over a call."
What does over a call mean?
You called a buffalo?? Interesting to hear more about that.

That one buffalo looks really old...very nice trophy! The warthog is excellent! And I too, like the eland picture with the sun!

Beautiful trophies, I specially like the buffalo and the warthog.

I could say lot of things about the excellent trophies but I am going to say one about the warthog
My Gooooooooooooooooooooood!!!

As usual, fantastic! Thanks Christophe.

Exceptional hunt results, Christophe.

Sincerest congrats to Cameron, yourself and your hunting team.

Outstanding animals allround, in a magnificent setting.

Thank you all. Yes I call the buffaloes!!!! In fact when you get close enough, about 100 yards, I make a sound like a calf and most of the time they come, thinking something is wrong. When the bull is picked up you have a close range shot, pretty exciting. The closest buff I had was 3 yards..... We were behind a dead tree... and it works with cape buffalo, savanna buffalo and northwestern buffalo. And believe me it is a big FUN.... I sent a video to Jerome of this kind of hunt, you can have a look.
Cheers

Great trophies all, but that warthog is exceptional in my eyes. 3 yards from a buff eh? And I got antsy once being 10 yards from an aggravated bull elk.

Christophe, I can confirm that the calf call mimick also works with the Asiatics of the breed.

I have personally used it many times to get a bull in close, either for a bow hunter, to seperate them for a clear shot or to draw them from heavy cover.

Interesting to note that it is common to all the buff strains.

By the way, I forgot to mention in my previous post, my personal favourite amongst this magnificent haul of Tropies is that gnarly old second buff bull with the worn tips.

What a bruising old bull !!!

great, I was wondering if it works with your buff. It is really fun, I shot 80 percent of the buffalo this way. I will try to post the video on my blog, have a look.
Thanks

Please do post the video, I am very interested in listening to the call to comparing to ours and to see the reactions from the animals.

A lot of times I beleive a bull will react out of curiosity, as our buffalo seem to suffer from being extremely inquisitive, or they may be reacting to the idea that a calf may have been left behind, either way, like you, i have found it an extremely effective way of shortening the distance or getting a bull clear for the shot.
I also use the call at the end of the season when I'm photographing bulls on my own, it's a great way to get them to stare at the camera without frightening them off.

On one occasion I was sitting beside a tree with a client watching a herd with a particularly good bull, bedded in the middle of the herd and protected, when I decided to calf call.
The matriarch cow of the herd stood up and approached us, ending up standing over the top of us mere few feet away but unable to see or smell us hiding in the grass.
The tension was too much for my client who temporarily passed out !!
(that was an interesting "recovery").

I whole-heartedly agree with your sentiments;
buffalo at close quarters = tangible excitement.

I'll try get some video of my own this season of me calling and post it here on my return.

Many thanks again for posting these incredible hunting adventures in C.A.R particularly for those of us who may never make it and need to live vicariously through others.

Thanks for the excellent pictures Christophe. That warthog is massive looking!

Buffalo Hunting Central Africa by Calling

Check this out Paul!

Buffalo Hunting Central Africa by Calling

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow a excellent safari. My congrats to the hunter and the superb guide;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois