AH fanatic
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Rowland Ward (RW) & Association des Guides de Grande Chasse (AGGC)
Hunted
senegal, guinea, ivory coast, burkina faso, benin, cameroun, central africa, tanzania, zimbabwe, south africa
John and Margaret came over mid of March. They flew from Sydney to Bankok, to Nairobi to Bangui to the hunting area, 37 hours...... long way. The main animals for John are Lord Derby Eland and Lion but deep in his mind and for 30 years he is dreaming about Bongo. When I met him by the airstrip he asked me if one is available, yes I said. Let's start by the Bongo as the moon is still ok and even if march is not the best time. The next day we drive to the bongo camp 5h drive. Unfortunately I got malaria on the way, he had to drive me to the camp. I was bad but he went to the machan with the trackers. When he came back the morning he was very excited because he saw 30 Bongos but he could'nt take a shot. I was a bit better and we went together for the next 5 nights without seeing a single bongo!!!! So we decided to move and try later if we have enough time left. John shot a nice Eland quickly, we set up bait for lion where we saw some fresh tracks and before dark we called. 15 mn later 2 lions, male and female came 20 m away on our back!!!! By the time we saw them they ran off and we could'nt take a shot. Anyway to make a long stry short, we moved to another camp, set up more bait and call again. One leopard hit one bait and John decide to try, good for him, at 7 pm he was in the back of the truck.... and the next day, 20 hours later the lion was at the same place, unbelievable.
John shot 14 animals during his trip, he was very very happy but I am sure something is missing and I am sure he will come back for his bongo...

48 inch Lord Derby Eland
watermark.php

Buffalo
watermark.php

Red River Hog
watermark.php

4 inch Oribi
watermark.php

26.5 inch Sing Sing Waterbuck
watermark.php

Blue Duiker
watermark.php

Buffalo
watermark.php

Lord Derby Eland
watermark.php

Lion
watermark.php

Leopard
watermark.php

Leopard bait!
watermark.php

Leopard
watermark.php

Lion
watermark.php

Lion
watermark.php

Lord Derby Eland
watermark.php

Mahamat and the Lion
watermark.php

Nice Red Flanked Duiker
watermark.php

Red River Hog
watermark.php

Red Flanked Duiker
watermark.php

The oldest bushbuck I have ever seen!
watermark.php

Unusual horn shaped Buffalo
watermark.php

River bed
watermark.php

Salt Lick where Leopard was taken!
watermark.php

Salt lick
watermark.php

Red River Hog
watermark.php

Giant Forest Hog family
watermark.php

By the truck, they are not tamed!
watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
My step son says the Lord Eland Derby is one of the most beautiful animals he's ever seen! I agree!

Thanks, for the photos...that bushbuck picture is incredible!

Christopher

The photos only show the great effort put forth for a success safari.

There are a great many of your wonderful photos that one would be proud of.

Great hunt, that Eland is impressive !

Thanks Christophe for sharing your season in CAR with us! Incredible pictures and trophies as always.

Excellent photos and a very successful hunt..

Impressive pose for the first red flanked duiker...unusual but I like it. :D

this hunt was finished many moons ago now , and what a great hunt it would've been in any hunters book , some truly awesome animals taken ,
im wondering what become of johns leopard ?
as we cant bring any spotted cats into Australia .

14 animals and som ereally great ones. Magic hun for sure :) I guess there`s a god chance he`s coming back for Bongo :) With his luck it shoudn`t be a problem :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg