Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF, QU & PU
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia
Cecil The Lion Fallout: US House Passes Anti-Poaching Bill
By Sarah Berger @sarahberger0408 s.berger@ibtimes.com on November 02 2015 9:42 PM EST
rtr3say2.jpg

A policeman stands amid seized elephant tusks at Makupa police station in Mombasa, Kenya, in 2014. Reuters
The U.S. House of Representatives passed an anti-poaching bill Monday night by voice vote, according to a news release. The Global Anti-Poaching Act is co-sponsored by 43 Republicans and 64 Democrats.

The Global Anti-Poaching Act aims to make wildlife trafficking cases easier to prosecute as well as authorize tougher penalties for wildlife traffickers by classifying wildlife trafficking violations -- where the products involved have a total value exceeding $10,000 -- predicate offenses under the Travel Act, money laundering and anti-racketeering statutes. The bill also proposes to use money seized from wildlife trafficking to help combat poaching in Africa and aims to hold countries accountable for failure to observe international anti-trafficking laws.

“This bipartisan bill provides additional tools and resources to curb illegal killing of some of the world’s most iconic and at-risk species and trafficking in their parts,” Wayne Pacelle, head of the Humane Society of the United States, said in a statement. “Poaching is a global crisis, and the world needs U.S. leadership on the issue.”

rtr47afn.jpg

An armed ranger talks on his radio in front of a white rhinoceros at the Imire Rhino and Wildlife Conservation Park near Marondera, Zimbabwe, in 2014. Reuters

Poaching incidents have dramatically increased in recent years, according to the Natural Resources Defense Council. Ten thousand elephants were killed between 2010 and 2012, which is a quarter of the remaining population, and between 2007 and 2014, rhino poaching incidents jumped from just 13 to over 1,200.

Anti-poaching efforts have gained more attention recently, however. Just last summer, a dentist from Minnesota sparked global outrage when he killed Cecil, a well-known male lion that lived in Zimbabwe. Cecil was reportedly lured out of Hwange National Park and shot with a compound bow. As a result, the hunter -- Walter Palmer -- faced a worldwide backlash and was on the receiving end of vicious threats. Palmer had allegedly paid $50,000 for the hunting expedition, and Zimbabwe ultimately did not charge him because he had obtained legal authority to conduct the hunt. The scandal did, however, boost efforts in Washington to combat overseas poaching.

Attachments

• rtr47afn.jpg
    rtr47afn.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 117
  • rtr3say2.jpg
    rtr3say2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 109
If this passes the senate and is signed into law, it could be pretty scary. I don't know the wording of the law, but if a Dr. Palmer in the future shot a lion on land that didn't have quota, it seems like the US Attorney Generals office could file charges for poaching, regardless of what the country of origin did.

Hi Wheels,

I think you are spot on on this.

. . . another one here who agrees.

" Ten thousand elephants were killed between 2010 and 2012, which is a quarter of the remaining population,"

where do these idiots who call themselves journalists get their totally inaccurate figures from????????? fk it is depressing reading their misinformed garbage.........................:E Shake Head:

" Ten thousand elephants were killed between 2010 and 2012, which is a quarter of the remaining population,"

where do these idiots who call themselves journalists get their totally inaccurate figures from????????? fk it is depressing reading their misinformed garbage.........................:E Shake Head:

Who cares about facts?:rolleyes: We're talking about the media here.:D Just make something up.:cautious: Then be first to post it.:sneaky: Other media outlets will quote you and you will become famous.;)

The Edward R. Murrow's of the world would be ashamed of their profession if they were alive today.:(

Wheels you are spot on as usual!

When I read that I was like wow that is really way off. No one does actual fact checks anymore.

Same idiots that said in article posted here on poaching of elephant in Zim .....that illegal animal trafficking was estimated at $47 billion US dollars a year. That is Billion dollars. Not that damn many animals to be poached in the world folks.

If this passes the senate and is signed into law, it could be pretty scary. I don't know the wording of the law, but if a Dr. Palmer in the future shot a lion on land that didn't have quota, it seems like the US Attorney Generals office could file charges for poaching, regardless of what the country of origin did.

The approach is consistent. The government already believes they know more about international game management than anyone else, so why not this too? ??

I agree with nearly all of you thus far, primarily because we don't exactly know what the bill says at this point, (at least I don't). If it does allow prosecution in the U.S. for a citizen violating the law in another country, it may be new to the poaching problem, but is not new in general. I have worked international contracts for the past 17 years off and on, and I have been subject to U.S. laws/prosecution for an offense committed in another country at least since 2001 or so that I am aware of. Possibly longer, just didn't know it. If this law in fact is to lessen the poaching problem, we should all be for it. As brought up in another thread a few months ago, even though we pay people to know the local laws and customs when we hunt, it is our responsibility to know what we can shoot and where we can shoot it. He said she said will not be a defense if caught violating the law. Our best defense short of being an attorney, is to be sure you are hunting with a reputable safari operator. Waiting to see the details of the law!

I agree with nearly all of you thus far, primarily because we don't exactly know what the bill says at this point, (at least I don't). If it does allow prosecution in the U.S. for a citizen violating the law in another country, it may be new to the poaching problem, but is not new in general. I have worked international contracts for the past 17 years off and on, and I have been subject to U.S. laws/prosecution for an offense committed in another country at least since 2001 or so that I am aware of. Possibly longer, just didn't know it. If this law in fact is to lessen the poaching problem, we should all be for it. As brought up in another thread a few months ago, even though we pay people to know the local laws and customs when we hunt, it is our responsibility to know what we can shoot and where we can shoot it. He said she said will not be a defense if caught violating the law. Our best defense short of being an attorney, is to be sure you are hunting with a reputable safari operator. Waiting to see the details of the law!

Great point.

I think my annoyance is more at what I view as a government overstepping bounds than anything else. We always seem to "know better." And even if we do, is it our right to try and enforce it? I honestly struggle with this question as it isn't an easy one to answer in my mind.

I wish for once this country and others would just listen to the professionals who know. While well meaning we react on global outrage from anti hunting groups and the social media. What happened to making informed decisions based on the facts? The real facts! This is like saying your doctors say's you absolutely need surgery but your plumber advises against it! Sorry any plumbers here.;)

this is exactly what the anti hunting journalist does, feeding the public misleading information to keep them ignorant. It is depressing!

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/2494/text

I read the bill through and didn't see anything that affects legal hunting. Long story short, the government will assist countries with their anti-poaching efforts with money and equipment, and withhold any type of monetary assistance to countries where most of the poaching occurs. Of course if you get caught moving poached animal parts, they're going to fine the sh.......out of you! And take your toys too! If there are any legal eagles out there, take a read and let us know what you think!!!

I believe this bill has been in the making since last January.

Better have all the I's dotted and T's crossed with your permits for any Big 5 animal, and expect a vigorous examination if coming from a trafficking country

The more you involve government and the less you rely on wildlife management professional. the worse the outcome becomes. Because government relies on votes and BS, not necessarily what is best for wildlife.

The more you involve government and the less you rely on wildlife management professional. the worse the outcome becomes. Because government relies on votes and BS, not necessarily what is best for wildlife.

+1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!