CEB solids for Sako 500 jeffrey

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
With the Sako 500 Jeffrey having a slightly shorter magazine box than the bigger CZ action, has anyone had issues loading the longer 570gr CEB and fitting them in the mag. Should I go with the 510 grain bullets instead?

I'll double check but I think 570 and 510 are all they got. The 510 should work, with it being a monometal sort of thing it is probably the same length as the original 535

I'll double check but I think 570 and 510 are all they got. The 510 should work, with it being a monometal sort of thing it is probably the same length as the original 535

OK don't do those monometal things...like a bit of lead in mine :E Big Grin: :A Banana:

The .510 caliber 510 gr Solids will end to end elephant, buffalo and hippo, all side on shots will exit, all head shot elephant will exit head, frontal or side, easy.......every one will be 100% dead straight, and all will plow through any bone you ask of it........ How much more do you want?

You DO NOT need the 570s........... and if you want a matching Trauma inflicting bullet, use the 475 Raptors, they turn buffalo inside out..........from any angle.........

Sounds good to me. I will give the 510's a try. I would assume you can use the Barnes 535 load data as a starting point on those.

I would assume you can use the Barnes 535 load data as a starting point on those.
Yes, that would give you a start for sure. My guys have been using them in 500 Nitro guns and the performance has been incredible on elephant/buffalo.......... I first saw them used in 2012 on buffalo, both the 475 Raptor and the 510 Solids, and there is no doubt they work, and work very well. In the 500 Nitro they are running the solids over 2300 fps and 475 Raptors at 2400 fps, and all under 45000 PSI....... thats in double guns......... I have a friend running the 475 Raptors in 500 Jeffery at over 2600 fps..... I don't think he has used the 510s as he is not doing the heavies.........I think he is using H4895, but I am not sure what the load is....... If H4895 is listed for the Barnes 535s... then you can start with that, keeping in mind Weight Equal Pressure, so whatever you load from the Barnes, you will have less pressure with the 510 Solids........ But even a modest 2300-2400 fps will be the Hammer of Thor, with the 67% Meplat.

This also trickles down from experiences with the 500 CEB in .500 caliber in my various .500 caliber rifles...... .500, NOT .510............ The 500 gr CEB in 500 MDM will end to end body shots on elephant, buffalo and hippo......... They are running 2350-2400 fps in the shorter MDM barrels.........

Awesome. I found a thread on here from a couple years ago where @BenKK was having great success with the 475 in his Sako 500 Jeffrey. Which happens to be the exact rifle I have on the way to me, also fortunately CEB had both the 475 raptor and 510 solid in stock do I just ordered 2 boxes of each. @BenKK was using ADI 2208 which I believe is Varget. Barnes lists loads for thier 535 with varget that parallel the loads he was using with the 2208. I have a good supply of varget on hand. I need to get some dies and I will be rolling. I will be ordering those shortly and hopefully in a couple weeks I will have some test results of my own to post.

You won't be disappointed..............

With a proper nose shape and meplat a mono metal doesn't need to be as heavy as a lead core solid to out penetrate the former.

It was a brilliant rifle, fed beautifully with whatever I put in it and after a trip to a good ‘smith for a finer front bead and better recoil pad it was magnificent. I mainly used the 475 grain Safari Raptors, 570 grain Hydros, and 600 grain PPSNs. They were all emphatic.

It was a brilliant rifle, fed beautifully with whatever I put in it and after a trip to a good ‘smith for a finer front bead and better recoil pad it was magnificent. I mainly used the 475 grain Safari Raptors, 570 grain Hydros, and 600 grain PPSNs. They were all emphatic.
Did you sell it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tope

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!