CBP Form 4457 (Michigan)

mikecatt13

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Is anyone here from Michigan (specifically southeast)?

I'm trying to get info on getting our 4457 forms taken care of for an upcoming safari and the local CBP office said just fill it out and show up at the airport and from all my research from folks that have gone to Africa before that's not how it works, hoping to get some insight on a particular office or location to call here that has a clue and can do this for us.

Different offices have different ways of doing things. I'm lucky in that I have a CBP office at my local airport but they want you to call them once you arrive at the parking lot and then they will come out to inspect my items and then go back inside to fill out the 4457 and then come back out and hand it to me. They are located in a totally separate building than the travel terminal is.

If you want to get it done ahead of time check the location in your area for a office and call around and tell them that you would like to get it done early so that you can get paperwork done for the importation of your rifle into South Africa/or any other country. Also be aware of the dates on the forums and the time frame for the dates. Some countries are getting strict as to when it was filled out and signed along with the so called expiration date at the top of the form.

I always go to CBP office and have them completed well ahead of time. closest office is at a regional airport and they make appt over the phone and when you arrive you call them and they come to your car to inspect and sign forms. Other office has different procedure but you visit them and they complete forms. Waiting for day of trip creates too much risk as CFP officials not always available to meet if incoming flights, short staffed etc.

I do mine well before the flight. All you need is for office to be closed for some reason.

At my office in Wy you simply Fax or Email the rifle info into him. He fills it out and mails it within a couple of days.
Bruce

Yeah, I'm with you all as far as theres no way I doing it the day I'm supposed to leave. Just trying to figure out how to get that done

I'm trying to get info on getting our 4457 forms taken care of for an upcoming safari and the local CBP office said just fill it out and show up at the airport and from all my research from folks that have gone to Africa before that's not how it works, hoping to get some insight on a particular office or location to call here that has a clue and can do this for us.
Find a CBP head office in Michigan. Complete your CBP 4457. You want to fill out Rifle Brand Name and Model. Caliber and Serial number. Signed it. The CBP officer will verify the information, sign it and stamp it. We used to do it at LAX airport (still ahead of time) but we prefer the head office with more parking spaces available. Check out cbp.gov for Michigan.

Finally found someone who knew what I was talking about.

So no one else has any troubles:

Michigan Detroit Airport CBP for 4457 with firearms call (734) 941-6180 ext 108 for info

Occasionally you have friendly, helpful CBP supervisors until they are ordered to not be helpful by higher ups. What I would do:

Look at a map and find regional international airports for private commuter jets. Where do celebrities in Michigan park their gulfstream Vs? What charter airport do Jeff Daniels and Michael Moore use in Michigan? That poh-dunk never herd of it airport likely has ONE CBP person working there, on-call, when elites fly in or out on their charters. That CBP resource could allow you to bring in your locked guns and other items with completed 4457 forms for signature by them.

This is what I used to do, I went to where Oprah parked her jet at a tiny airport and got my 4457s filled out on the days and times when that lonely officer was present. Two years ago his supervisor banned him from doing that so now I have drive a very long way to CBP headquarters to get my 4457 forms filled out. This is all whims by regional managers within CBP.

In Columbus, OH, CBP isn’t at John Glenn (main airport). It is near a secondary airport that handles National Guard, freight and some passenger aircraft.
You can either go online and print out 4457 and fill it out or get the form at the CBP office and fill it out there. When you arrive at CBP, go in and tell them you you want to bring in firearms. Bring them in and either fill out the form or present them with your pre-filled out form. They will inspect your firearms to make sure the serial number matches what is on the form. They then take your form and draw lines in the open areas so that you can’t write additional items on the form. Then you are on your way.

I always type my CBP 4457. There is pdf fillable form. The last thing I need is annoyed CBP officer because he can't read my handwriting.

If you are flying with Qatar send these four information to
specialservices@us.qatarair. Mort Hill gave me that email address. I have been calling Qatar for weeks and no one can provide me with a straight answer. One person told me to send the information two days before my departure date which idiotic to me.

1) Your itinerary or your e.ticket; 2) CBP 4457; 3) Invitation Letter from your outfitter; and 4) Passport. If you are lucky you will receive a travel document the next day which looks like an e.ticket. With a sentence below each airport stating "Weapon Confirmed".

I am not concerned with Joberg; I have Henry from Rifle Permit to meet and greet me at Joberg. I am more concerned with Doha. I have 3 hours lay over at Doha. The last thing I need to worry is not knowing if my gun case will get transfer to the connecting flight to Joberg.

Also use Henry from Rifle Permit to help you with SAPS 520. The form looks intimidating but you need to fill out only page 2, page 4, page 5, and page 6. He charged $140 for his service. Rifle Permit is in this website.

Not a good idea to wait until the day you depart:

a) Depending on the country you're going into, your PH/Outfitter MAY have to apply for your temp firearm import permit days to weeks BEFORE you arrive. The completed 4457 is mostly likely one of the required documents you'll need to forward to them - along with a copy of your passport and airline tickets.

b) Depending on what airline your traveling and what route you're taking, you MAY need to apply for a firearm transit permit several weeks to several MONTHS before you transit. Example - if transiting thru Amsterdam they require you submit that firearm transit permit request TWO MONTHS before you initial transit. They will accept it with less time but the will NOT promise you'll get the permit. Second example is transiting Doha on Qatar Airways. The want out submit your firearm transit permit request at least TWO WEEKS before you transit.

c) Some airlines require you provide the copies of your 4457, passport and PH/Outfitter "invitation/motivation" letter a week or more before your flight.

d) Make sure your 4457 is the current version. They all have an "expiration date" in the upper right hand corner. All it means to the US govt is the form has to be "updated" but all previously issued versions are still valid TO THE US GOVT but NOT to many foreign govts. Before the Rona hit, if you transited thru Jberg and had to get a temp firearm permit (SAPS 520) the SAPS were requiring the date US Customs certified the 4457 be less than 6-months old. They were using as a shake down scam.

As a FYI for those of you that haven't seen it but Lori at Travel Express has a sample SAP's 520 on her web site that has some great instructions on how to fill it out for the South African firearm permit

WE are lucky to live right next to Canada border. Just down load and print the newest 4457 form.
Fill out info and drove up to the custom office. They did a quick 'computer thing' and sign and stamp it. easy peasy!

Not sure where you live in SE Michigan, I live in northern Oakland County and I go to the Oakland International airport in Waterford, have your paper work filled out, and your rifle with you for inspection, takes about 10 minutes. Call them first, not sure if he's still there, but office White is usually there and he can be a pain in the ass some days, but he usually warms up after a minute or two. Sorry I don't have the number.

IF you're going to a US Customs office that is INSIDE the terminal building, it MIGHT be a good idea to NOT take your firearm into the terminal in a soft case and be wandering around. A locked hard case like you'd fly with would draw less attention.

When I get them, before trips, I just put the rifles in soft cases and lock them in the trunk and NO ammo. Park in short term parking and then go to the office with my filled out and unsigned 4457. I go in, tell the officer what I want. Sometimes, they just check my ID/DL and have me sign it in front of them. Most of the time if they have the manning, an officer will go to the car with me to confirm serial numbers on the rifles. Try NOT to pull them completely out of the vehicle or the soft case if you can UNLESS the officer SPECIFICALLY tells you to. Most of the time you can just unzip the case and flip the rifle over so the officer can see the numbers. They check/confirm the form info against the rifle(s) and I follow them back to the office.

The firearm info and your ID is run thru the NICS computer to make sure it's not reported as stolen and you don't have any felony convictions. They counter-sign, put the office location number and their stamp on it and you're good to go.

IF you used the downloaded and fillable HERE , you DON'T need to print the second page. It will normally print out on a full sheet of 8x11 paper but the form itself is just a little larger than your passport. After I get home, I trim off the excess paper and then use 2" wide clear packing tape on both sides to sort of laminate this one and use it as my "master" copy that I carry with me. I make extra copies from it.

I put one copy in my rifle case along with a copy of my passport, invitation letter, airline ticket and temp firearm import document ie. SAPS 520 or Namibia Temp Import Worksheet. I keep the original copies of all this with me. This has helped me get delayed firearms home twice.

Attachments

• CBP Form 4457.pdf
    560.3 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: Lem
I'm sorry, yes I've always had my rifle in my travel case and they are expecting me since you must have an appointment.

You can get the forms signed at the Toledo Express Airport. Call the Sandusky Ohio office and they will let you know when they have officers at the Toledo Airport.

Take your rifle(s) in a hard locked case to the Customs Office on the first floor of the Mc Namara Terminal a month or so in advance of your scheduled departure date. You present a filled out copy of the CURRENT 4457, the officer will check out the respective serial numbers sign and date your form. There is virtually nothing to it. I live "Downriver" send me a PM with your phone number and I'll call you.

Not sure where you live in SE Michigan, I live in northern Oakland County and I go to the Oakland International airport in Waterford, have your paper work filled out, and your rifle with you for inspection, takes about 10 minutes. Call them first, not sure if he's still there, but office White is usually there and he can be a pain in the ass some days, but he usually warms up after a minute or two. Sorry I don't have the number.
Oroville WA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg