Cartridge for a short "UTV carbine"

Which is best from a 20" barrel?

• 308 Win (max bullet weight 130gr)

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • 7mm-08 (max bullet weight 120gr)

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • 6.5 Creedmoor (max bullet weight 110gr)

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
I'm looking to build a little carbine rifle to bring along when I'm out cruising on in my UTV. ive pretty much got my mind set on a Thompson Encore with a 20" barrel and a folding stock as this would fit perfectly against my door frame. the main question left is what cartridge to chamber the gun in. I want the rifle for varmints primarily but there is a chance the rifle could be used for deer and a very slight chance it could be used for black bear (unlikely).

my thoughts are:

- 308 Win (max bullet weight 130gr)
- 7mm-08 (max bullet weight 120gr)
- 6.5 Creedmoor (max bullet weight 110gr)

I want to stick with the lighter bullets because my plan is to strictly use mono-metal bullets such as Barnes and GS Custom and id like to eek out as much velocity as possible. im leaning towards the 7mm-08 because it seems to give better performance from a short barrel then the 6.5 Creedmoor but tends to have a better BC/SD then the 308 Win (when using these light bullets).

which cartridge do you think will perform that best from this barrel length? why?

here is a picture of my ride (I plan on hanging the gun on the inside of one of the side door panels):
P1000403.JPG

here is a picture of my backyard (jealous yet?):
P1000404.JPG

-Matt

Last edited:
I would personally go with the .308 just because of the versatility with wide range of bullet choices. But, the 7-08 is also a great round especially in a small lightweight rifle. I don’t have any practical experience with the 6.5 Creed....but I wouldn’t hesitate to give it a try either.

Cool wheeler!!! And even cooler back yard Matt!!!

Count me in for the 7mm-08, for the exact reasons you listed. It sure is a slick-shooting little round that kills above its weight, so to speak.

7-08 hands down of the 3, my personal one for Northren Alberta is my Ruger Guide gun in 450 Bushmaster

All 3 will work and the 308 or 7mm-08 would be my pick. Nobody ever talks about a good old lever action 30-30, but that would fit the bill too. Another option at the other end of the spectrum would be a Ruger Mini-thirty in 7.62x39.

350 Remington Magnum although I played along and picked 7mm-08.

Works great in a short barrel and with a 200 gr monometal the biggest varmit doesn’t stand a chance. You can run a 200gr to about 3000 fps...:)

This is what I use my 308 for mostly has worked like a charm for years and the bullets are cheap and plentiful( always a plus for carnitas). Also the ability to change Bullet weight easily makes it versatile.

6.5mm generally doesn't do well in a short barrel. They are almost all universally more overbore than their larger cousins and this makes them less efficient in a short barrel. Plus, the .308 will be more efficient with the bullets you have chosen due to the larger surface area and similar pressure of all three rounds. That means that more of the powders energy can be transferred to the bullet all other things being equal. I had a Ruger **NOT**PERMITTED** scout in .308 with a 16" barrel. It only lost about 100 fps based on the load data I was using which was tested from a 22" barrel. I was getting 2550fps with a 165 grain bullet out of it. My other recommendation, is if there is a possibility that it will be used for black bear, shoot at least a 150 grain Barnes TTSX if you want to ensure the round gives you a pass through. (This is good on a bear because their hide, fat and fur soak up blood better than my kitchen sponge and it makes trailing a bear easier.)

My 708 has an 18" barrel with a suppressor. I'm using H335 and Barnes 110gr TTSX. Getting just over 3000 fps. Shot a couple of deer, nothing over 150yds. All one shot kills.

after much waffling back and forth I decided on 308 win. the 130gr Barnes TSX/TTSX and 130gr GScustom will be very easy to get 3000fps from the short barrel. another bonus is Barnes produces a factory load of a 130gr TTSX at 3120fps which should get around 3000fps from my short barrel.

about 5 min ago I placed an order with MGM for a 20" stainless steel heavy Encore barrel (0.810") in 308 Win with a 1-12" twist.

-matt

I just saw this post but I think you made the right choice. My UTV gun is an Encore in .307 Winchester, I switched out the extractor to a rimless one and can now shoot .308 or .307. My barrel is a factory TC blue that I got during one of the TC spring promotions years ago, it is plenty accurate. I don't have a folding stock just the factory black plastic. It's a great gun for banging around after hogs or as a loaner deer rifle.

I just saw this post but I think you made the right choice. My UTV gun is an Encore in .307 Winchester, I switched out the extractor to a rimless one and can now shoot .308 or .307. My barrel is a factory TC blue that I got during one of the TC spring promotions years ago, it is plenty accurate. I don't have a folding stock just the factory black plastic. It's a great gun for banging around after hogs or as a loaner deer rifle.
Another resurrected thread but would you show pics of the cases side by side? Even the rifle if you like.

@matt85 we are all envious of the atv and backyard.

I voted 7mm-08 but I have had several .308 and it is a logical choice for economy and purpose, that other thing what was it, I Dunno, never considered it anyway.

Matt85, it would be interesting to hear how your 308 using the 130 TTSX has performed?

Since this post is over 2 years old, there's no point in me voting. But if I did it would be for the .308 for the simple reason is that it is my favourite all-time round! I've no experience whatsoever with the 6.5 Creedmoor except that a lot of guys make fun of it. I myself think it is kind of interesting.

The 7mm-08...now that is a calibre that I have wanted for a long time now. Not sure why, but probably because it seems like a cross between my two favourites, .308 Win and 7mm Rem Mag. I don't own one yet, but need to find a way to work one into the budget!

Another resurrected thread but would you show pics of the cases side by side? Even the rifle if you like.

@matt85 we are all envious of the atv and backyard.

I voted 7mm-08 but I have had several .308 and it is a logical choice for economy and purpose, that other thing what was it, I Dunno, never considered it anyway.
I'll see what i can come up with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg