Cartridge belt features

76888E54-BFB7-4D08-8494-6E6055FDD493.jpeg

This is the Murray Custom Leather belt for the 470, anxiously awaiting August to use it for something besides practice!
5EFC6881-BB6F-4FF4-971A-B4EAA9DFD0C7.jpeg

These slip on cartridge holders are also by Murray bottom is for the 505 Gibbs and top is a closed loop type for the 375 H&H.
Let me know if you would like measurements.
Cheers,
Cody

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Murray C-2 leather for my 9.3X62. It holds 30-06 and 270 just fine as well. I assume the ones for 375HH fit a 458 Lott or 404 Jeffery as well - that is, I don't really notice any significant tapering toward the bullet end of the cartridge "loop."

Although not nearly as refined as the Murray, these are great, inexpensive options. https://www.ebay.com/str/africangam...es-Cases-Ammo-Belts/_i.html?_storecat=1870366

I have one in Ele for my 308.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-04-15 AFRICAN GAME INDUSTRIES, INC eBay Stores.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-15 AFRICAN GAME INDUSTRIES, INC eBay Stores.png
    555.5 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
View attachment 278381
This is the Murray Custom Leather belt for the 470, anxiously awaiting August to use it for something besides practice!
View attachment 278382
These slip on cartridge holders are also by Murray bottom is for the 505 Gibbs and top is a closed loop type for the 375 H&H.
Let me know if you would like measurements.
Cheers,
Cody
Hello, What is the width of the Murray Ammunition belt?Thanks

Pheroze, closed pockets is preferred. Open loops, even big ones just open on the end can stretch and the cartridges can slip out. Those closed on the bottom, made of leather seem to create a bit of "suction" that keeps them from popping out so easily.

Alternatively, you could go out and spend about $50 for the galco one that has the webbing, leather, loops and buckles already set. Cut off the leather ends and the "belt buckle" panel with the dumb buffalo on it, replace with your premium leather fittings and the brass buckle, and you have a proven winner. Odds of a problem would be much less as you're not having them guess on how to make the loops for you as the canvas would all be already set and the pattern for the leather would be reverse engineered from the pieces cut away.
a picture would be worth 1000 words...thanks

I have really nice heavy leather cartridge pouches that fit my belt for heavy caliber rounds. They hold five rounds I think. But frankly the elastic nylon ones that fit over the stock work just fine!
@CAustin
I have the elastic nylon that goes on the stock as well that takes 8 rounds. The problem I found is it upsets the rifles balance.
Now days I just carry a mg full of ammo plus a couple of extra rounds in my pocket. The reason behind this is if I need more than 5 shots to take down an animal I need to give up shooting.
Now @Forrest Halley needs a 200 round 22lr belt at a minimum for his squirrel hunting as it usually takes him up to 10 shots per squirrel. Nine warning shots into various branches and one kill shot. He believes in giving them a sporting chance.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

This is my Murray C-8 cartridge belt with leather loops designed for 375H&H cartridges. It does fit the 416RM quite nicely and I imagine that any other cartridge based on the 375 although I haven't tried anything else.

Design consideration - If I were to do it again, I'd have him put the buckle on the other side of the cartridges, because I like to move them front and center with the buckle to the side. The way it is now, if I move the cartridges to the front, the knife is all the way in the back. I don't usually load all the loops, keeping a few empty spaces between the softs and solids. I also color the ends of the solids with a Sharpie for quick and easy field identification.
1665224515590.png

@soumya sarkar - The belt is 1 3/4" wide and accommodates my knife sheath very nicely. Credit to @CM McKenzie for his wonderful work on the sheath.
1665224672116.png

Last edited:
Find one that holds the number of cartridges you want within easy reach. Find one that is comfortable. Must hold cartridges securely enough so they won't fall out when running, crawling or rolling on the ground during stalk. Must provide unfettered access by feel when pressured to reload without looking..... as for DG. If only plains game or non-dangerous game hunting- I usually just carry a small supply in a canvas trifold wallet in my pocket or day pack.

I use a simple slide with loops that have closed bottoms. The cartridges are held in by a flap that does not have a snap or mechanical lock. Holds cartridges securely and no trouble extracting cartridges without looking or fumbling with the top flap. I carry extra ammo in canvas trifold wallet that holds up to 12 rounds. KISS

IMG_3640.JPG

Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 11.19.13 AM.png

Last edited:
I amd right handed, but shoot left handed. I have stock mounted Murray Leather cartridge holders for some guns, but I use a 10 round, leather, closed loop slide when hunting with my 404 Jeff. I carry right, but load from the left. This works very well and allows me to have the belt and slide ready in the hunting car so I can put it on as I exit the vehicle and retrieve my rifle from the rack. The slide for my 'light' rifle stays on my belt and if I need the 404J I put it on over the light rifle slide. This keeps me from having to figure out what ammo to retrieve when I am reloading in a hurry. Works for me.

It says on the Murray website they can make their products out of your game skins, was just looking through all their offerings to pick what I would want. I like the belt slides the most. My wife’s alligator skin just got home so whatever isn’t getting turned into a purse will be sent to Dick

I’ve had some custom knife sheaths made by @CM McKenzie and they are amazing. Not to mention he’s a great guy to do business with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!