Carrying ammo to Africa

United allows ammo in the gun case. I’ve done it for 20+ years straight on the annual trip to Colorado. If flying outside the US follow the rules and have a separate lockable case ready to be used.
Hasn't been my experience, but that's how they should do it! Thanks for the heads up. I'll ask next time I'm at the airport.
Bruce

I always carry my ammo separate from the rifles. However, as @Lee M stated, United (and probably others) allow it to be carried together.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/baggage/sports-equipment.html
  • No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried.
    • The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container.
    • The ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers.
    • The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement.
    • Loaded ammunition magazines or clips must be removed from the firearm, and must be securely packed in boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition and must fit over any exposed ends of the magazine or clip.
    • Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectile will not be accepted.
    • Black powder, for black powder arms, is considered hazardous material and will not be accepted as checked baggage.

Last edited:
Delta has specific wording on the 11 lbs of ammo issue:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/special-items/sporting-equipment

The following types of ammunition are not accepted:
  • Gun powder; such as Pyrodex or Black Powder
  • Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles
  • Ammunition, including case, exceeding 11 pounds (5 kg) gross weight per passenger

I use the lighter small Plano ammo cans also to save baggage weight. I have ammo in factory boxes inside also. I have never had a problem with that packing method.

Hi, just joined the forum and we are planning our first trip to South Africa next year. From what I’m reading from this Forum and the TSA website is I can carry ammo in the same case as my rifle as long as it’s in the cardboard boxes, is this correct? Or do I need a separate locking ammo box?
It has probably been said but every airline company have it's own restrictions. Look at them carefully and advise every airline company at least a monthe prior departure that's you'll carry a rifle and amunitions. Transit throught Frankfurt is ok but you'll need a transit permit. Avoid like the plague London and British Airways.

Some airline will allow the ammos in the same case as the rifle, some won't but will allow them in a locked container in your luggage, some will need them to be in a box and considered as a separate luggage.

I went in Africa with 50 rounds and gave the remaining to my PH. He was happy and It relieved me the hassle of flying with Lufthansa's exigences.

Separate locking ammo box. Use TSA locks on ammo box non TSA locks on your rifle case. Make sure you have a non TSA lock to fit every hole on your rifle case. Also make sure all your brass line up with your rifle…example a 275 Rigby is the same as a 7x57. Do not take a 275 Rigby with headstamped 7x57 brass. You can put your locked ammo case inside your checked baggage flying from US to Africa but flying from SA anywhere you gave to check ammo locked box separate
This is all correct.

Cannot carry it in the rifle case. I use a Pelican 1200 or 11xx series case. Put the boxes in that. Put that in your checked duffle bag US -> RSA

If you connect out of Jburg OR Tambo onto a flight within RSA or say to Namibia, the ammo box has to come out and be checked separately from your duffle bag and gun.

I never bothered with TSA locks on the ammo box (3 trips) but it is not a bad idea

Until it is. Airlines are consistently inconsistent on this issue.
Correct. By letter of the law, it is the weight of the ammo only, not including the case.

That said, I don't want to be the guy missing my connection in RSA playing "Airline Lawyer" with a person at OR Tambo while I miss my connection arguing with a person that can have me pulled into a back room.

You will probably win the argument in the end but at the cost of a whole lot of hassle.

I just assume they are gonna throw the case on scale and if it weighs less than 11lbs...I am good.
That is why I use the smallest possible pelican case and only take 40 rounds per rifle. If I need more than 40 rounds on a plains game safari, even if I have to burn 10-12 rounds adjusting zero after I get there (extreme, worst case) I would probably quit hunting.

One thing on the ammo box with what ever one you decided to take.

I always have placed some foam into the box to keep everything in place and to prevent any rattling. It doesn't need to be foam, even a old T shirt will work. The idea is to just keep things from bouncing around.

I had the foam on hand so that is what I used.

Throwing a fly in to the ointment here, I had an RSA government security guard at Blomfontein have me open up the Pelican 1200 with 150 rounds total of two different cartridges and he counted every round one at a time. Tried to explain the boxes held fifty rounds each, to no avail. Had to keep reminding myself I wasn't in Kansas anymore.

Throwing a fly in to the ointment here, I had an RSA government security guard at Blomfontein have me open up the Pelican 1200 with 150 rounds total of two different cartridges and he counted every round one at a time. Tried to explain the boxes held fifty rounds each, to no avail. Had to keep reminding myself I wasn't in Kansas anymore.
third world country, what do you expect

That is the sad thing, but you just say yes sir, and no sir and allow them to do as they wish. Even if you know the rules there is always those few who want to push their own addenda.

It's a lot like the folks who want to make sure that you take out all the brass that you brought in. They cold care less if it is at the bottom of a river or lost in some rocks. I'm a reloader so I make sure to police my brass and asked my tracker to help. So far I have been able to bring all my empties home.

i would contact your airline. I have only traveled from the Uk. The rules state a metal lock case, max 5Kg.
again check with your airline.

Well in two weeks we fly to South Africa for a month. A lots changed since the last time I went, including the world coming to an end. I never volunteer that I have ammo in my bag and only about 50% of the time do I get asked. And if flying out of Anchorage it usually goes like this; "do you have any ammo?", "yes", "does it weigh less than 11lbs?", "yes" and that's the end of that. NEVER had it weighed. But....we are flying out of New Orleans this time so it will be interesting to see what happens.

This will be the first time our ammo will go in an ammo case. We won't use TSA locks, never have for anything, and never had any locks cut off. We will have our name and phone number clearly written on the outside of the ammo cases.

If anything weird or annoying happens I'll report back.

Hasn't been my experience, but that's how they should do it! Thanks for the heads up. I'll ask next time I'm at the airport.
Bruce

Image1676769329.779469.jpg

Here is the United policy posted on their website. I would assume this info is avail online for each airline. Not every airline check in person knows their policies so suggest definitely looking it up. For destinations outside the US United has a lot of other info written that i did not include in this picture.

View attachment 518167

Here is the United policy posted on their website. I would assume this info is avail online for each airline. Not every airline check in person knows their policies so suggest definitely looking it up. For destinations outside the US United has a lot of other info written that i did not include in this picture.
That looks like the domestic rules to me.

When I fly from Michigan on a hunt out west, I just throw a couple boxes of ammo in the gun case.

But that doesn't fly (literally) when you travel to Africa

Last edited:
Flying into Africa with ammo in your gun case may be alright depending on the airline. The problem comes when flying within Africa.

That looks like the domestic rules to me.

When I fly from Michigan on a hunt out west, I just throw a couple boxes of ammo in the gun case.

But that doesn't fly (literally) when you travel to Africa

Yes agree, that is domestic. There is a lot of other info in the United webpage on quite a few other countries, not just Africa.

View attachment 518167

Notice in each airline there are very slight differences. United says ammo no mention of case. Delta on the other hand uses the word”and” meaning they will not let you take it out of the container so make sure your ammo plus carrier fall no more than 11 pounds total

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.