Carrying ammo to Africa

One thing I cannot find out is can you fly internationally with ammo only.

We have clients who want to use our rifle,
but we have no way of replacing ammunition

The case isn't included in the weight only the ammo
Quite correct, 5 kgs (11lbs) of ammunition. Try arguing this point at check-in. You won’t win. Been there, done that.

You are right...until you are not. And then your ammo stays home. It wouldn't be the first time a person in a position of authority didn't know the rules.

Better to be safe and keep the weight of the ammo and case under 5 Kg (11 lbs). It's pretty easy to keep a Pelican 1200 with 40 rounds of 375H&H under the limit.
I just took the ammo out of the Pelican case then put both in my luggage, then asked the check in person if that made sense, then the one at the next counter beside her said just put it back in the Pelican case.

One thing I cannot find out is can you fly internationally with ammo only.

We have clients who want to use our rifle,
but we have no way of replacing ammunition

I asked Henry at Riflepermits this question last year. He said NO if coming into South Africa. You must have a gun for the ammo you are bringing. No ammo just by itself.

I asked Henry at Riflepermits this question last year. He said NO if coming into South Africa. You must have a gun for the ammo you are bringing. No ammo just by itself.
Hey thank you the client would be in transient to zim.

Not a problem coming into zim. Just boarding in USA and then dreaded RSA

Seperate case like the pelican as others have said is the way to go. No charge for it on flights within Africa. Your rifles are different however. Make sure your African airline has at least 3 days notice of rifle carriage on your flight. Best to email them beforehand. There is also a fee for this……

Thanks guys, I actually bought a pelican ammo case the other day. Just was reading the tsa site and it had me confused.

Hi, just joined the forum and we are planning our first trip to South Africa next year. From what I’m reading from this Forum and the TSA website is I can carry ammo in the same case as my rifle as long as it’s in the cardboard boxes, is this correct? Or do I need a separate locking ammo box?
No. For travel overseas the ammo must go in a lock box in the suitcase.
This is a topic with thousands of posts. I'm not sure why you couldn't find one.
Please visit the safari planning section and see my YouTube videos on these subjects to help you get ready for Africa.

Quick question on the pelican case. is there supposed to be a lock in all the holes like the rifle case?

Quick question on the pelican case. is there supposed to be a lock in all the holes like the rifle case?
Required? Don't know but to save arguments with gate agents and/or TSA, I use two on the Pelican.

Last year while traveling to Zim on Qatar, the agent was about to turn me down with my ammo. The weight was a few ounces over 11lbs with the heavy locks installed. He did however let me me remove the locks, and the weight was then acceptable. This year, I'm going to make sure everything including the locks is under 11lbs.

Last year while traveling to Zim on Qatar, the agent was about to turn me down with my ammo. The weight was a few ounces over 11lbs with the heavy locks installed. He did however let me me remove the locks, and the weight was then acceptable. This year, I'm going to make sure everything including the locks is under 11lbs.

That's the typical gate agent scenario.
Qatar in Houston had me remove ammo from case and just weigh ammo only the last trip. You just never know what the gate agent will do.

I just place two very cheap and light TSA locks onto my ammo container. I doubt that both of them weigh much more than a couple of ounces.

Not a problem coming into zim. Just boarding in USA and then dreaded RSA
There’s actually no problem leaving USA with ammo. I’ve taken ammo only to Spain. I informed airline and had hunting permit in hand. Africa though I wouldn’t even consider it.

Mr. Conrad at Safari and Outdoor in Johannesburg will sell you ammunition based on your SA import permission form. He will only sell ammunition in the calibres listed on the form. He will also hold ammunition for you.

However, it is sensible to check with him beforehand as to what ammunition he has in stock. There seemed to be a nationwide shortage of .470 ammunition last year, for example.

I always do. Two holes two locks.
I have both the 1200 and 1300. I use the 1200 for just a PG hunt. I use the 1300 when I have both a PG and DG hunt and like this year involves two different safaris back to back. With the 1300 I can take two boxes of 500 NE and two boxes of 375 and just come under 11.5 pounds…yes if taken out of carrier easy to make weight but I never trust air personnel…they may not let me take out of case as they should do I just play safe

TSA rules allow the ammo to be inside the same case as the rifle. Unless I'm very mistaken Delta and United do NOT allow that. If you want to get on the plane you have to follow their rules. The ammo is required to be in it's own lockable case. I usually stow my ammo in it's own lockable case inside of my regular checked bag. If I'm taking another flight from Joberg they will usually require the ammo box to be taken out and go as a separate piece of luggage.
Bruce

United allows ammo in the gun case. I’ve done it for 20+ years straight on the annual trip to Colorado. If flying outside the US follow the rules and have a separate lockable case ready to be used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.