Carry on luggage only

That's because you have a Blaser, I saw pics of an engraved Blaser with what I would say was a driven Boar hunt scene, dam it looked good in his hunting pics.
I left my Tikka at home and hired a Sako, with a suppressor.
I agree that using your own rifle is part of the experience and lives on in the photos.
First time I did not know what to expect so we travelled light and it worked out fine.
I would consider taking my rifle if I go again but I might go over the ditch to New Zealand sometime with my own rifle. Hunting is hunting and even if it's shooting pigs i would be happy for a different experience and scenery.
I would like to bag a Bear. So the US might be in my sights one-day.
I have room for you and your one carry-on at my place. ;)
And you can use my Blaser if you would like.

Actually because we both hunt, the Blaser isn't a packing advantage.
We each have a checked Pelican 1700 rifle case, instead of just one.

You might be to blame for me spending all that money, here I was saying the website made me do it!

It’s been an interesting time here and my only overseas trip in South Africa.
If anyone is worried then a hire rifle and a carry on is a way Tom test the water. I was worried, I hear of bribes, fees etc.
The only thing I go at caught with was a porter offering to show the way, then asking for a tip, that was his job. I don’t think he was an finial porter so we kind of avoided unrequited help from there.

Another Aussie, let’s call him Bob, he went to Namibia with his own rifles. He said it was a breeze. Live and learn. I would consider taking a rifle if I went again but pending on the game and location, a bit of touring would be ok too.
Taking a firearm into Namibia is a breeze. Ten minutes, no more, has you on your way. No tip, graft or baksheesh necessary.
Personally I bought my rifles to hunt with. So I will always endeavour to bring them with me. It’s a major part of the trip for me. A large part of a trip to Africa is in the planning.

I also have done multiple overseas trips with just a carry-on and a garment bag. Very doable. However, we are talking about a hunting trip.

If no rifle and ammo, it becomes just a regular trip and with laundry service one can definitely go minimalist.

For cheapie RSA hunts a camp firearm might be fine. However, I'd hate to depend on ammo that might have been left by a client a few years ago and a rifle that has been lying around for a bit more pricey DG hunts in places other than RSA.

Agreed, I have done safaris where the only checked bags were rifle, ammo and knife. However, more typical is two checked bags, one for rifle, one for ammo, knife, extra pair of boots and sweater. I keep a packing list for safari trips. After every trip I reevaluate the list in an attempt to keep it trimmed down to only essentials. We are regularly asked by PH’s where the rest of our bags are!

I have never needed a knife in Africa. I’ve never seen my PH use one either.
Don’t shave, brush your teeth, or change clothes and you can cut down even more. :)

Seriously, if you get fever blisters then take Abreva; I’ve never seen it over there.

I have never needed a knife in Africa. I’ve never seen my PH use one either.
Don’t shave, brush your teeth, or change clothes and you can cut down even more. :)
I personaly never step out of the back door with out a knife of some sort. I would think that one day in Africa you would definitely need a knife.
Markcz

I personaly never step out of the back door with out a knife of some sort. I would think that one day in Africa you would definitely need a knife.
Markcz

Agreed. Hunting without a knife? I can’t imagine not having one on my belt.

Remember, you've got people at your side with knives.

Remember, you've got people at your side with knives.

While that is so I have had a knife on my person for over 60 years, that is except for when I have been flying. I hate to ask someone else to use their knife. It is usually as dull as a rock and not well taken care of.

I just like my own.

If my pants are on, there is a folder (currently a Spyderco Mil III) clipped inside a pocket. It drives me nuts that I can't even take a tiny penknife on an airplane! Even a Gerber Dime multitool would be great to have along.

And I'm not paranoid, (they really are out to get me).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg