MrCreedmoor

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, South Africa
Has anyone attempted an African hunting Safari with only a carry on piece of luggage? I am thinking I may want to attempt this. Am I crazy? Any advice would be appreciated. I would use my PH’s gun and travel light knowing laundry would be done daily. Clothes would be placed in space bags and all the air sucked out to reduce size. Here is my packing list, all of which must fit in 22 x 14 x 9 inch carry on (or worn):
  • Hunting boots – good ankle support lace-up boots
  • Boot bag
  • Camp shoes.
  • 3 Pair of hunting socks.
  • 3 Pair of camp socks.
  • 3 Pair of hunting pants (khaki, green, brown or camo).
  • 3 Pair of underwear.
  • 3 Hunting shirts (khaki, green, brown or camo).
  • 3 T-shirts.
  • 1 Light weight coat.
  • 1 Heavy coat.
  • 1 Hunting cap (safari).
  • 1 Stocking cap.
  • 1 Pair of leather gloves.
  • Rain gear.
  • Sunscreen, sunglasses, lip balm.
  • Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, tissues, etc).
  • Electrical adaptor and converter.
  • Ziplock space bags
  • Hand wipes
  • Bandaids
  • Neosporin
  • Eye drops,
  • Allergies medicine
  • General purpose antibiotic - cipro
  • Journal
  • Pencils
  • Black pens
  • USB cable
  • Charger phone
  • Shaver
  • Flashlight and extra batteries
  • Binoculars
  • Mosquito repellent
  • Camera, cell phone
  • Local money, cash

What time of the year are you going and where?

I have yet to need rain gear on a Safari. Between a light coat and a heavy coat you probably need only one.
Exactly right. Polar fleece - zip up or pullover will handle almost anything. Dump the stocking cap, converter (unless you are bringing a US only hair dryer :oops:), and heavy ankle support boots. I use Courteney's these days and wear them on the flight. The second pair are lightweight camp shoes.

But yes, you can absolutely do a carry-on hunt.

Some of the inexpensive small things you can likely pick up once you get there if they don’t fit. Leave them when you depart. When I went my wife came with me and even then we checked only one bag

My son has done it. If It weren’t for guns and ammo it wouldn’t be that hard.
Wear your boots on the plane. As above, Likely won’t need ankle support boots. If your boots aren’t comfortable enough to wear on the plane, address that before hunting in them. 3 pairs of hunting socks. They will wash daily. No need for camp socks. Pants on the plane and one additional pair. Check the weather-rain gear quite possibly not needed. What are you plugging in that needs an electrical adaptor? There are pens and pencils in Africa. You can journal on your phone. Unless you are on Coumadin, a simple disposable razor will get you through. And you can buy that on arrival and pitch it when you leave. Call ahead to see if you need a phone charger- USB ports are ubiquitous. (May want one for the journey but likely won’t need one once you arrive). Unless you are a serious photographer, a cell phone will take pictures more than well enough. Check the weather regards needing 2 coats. They are bulky. 2 hunting shirts and a thick wool shirt is likely all you need. What are the hand wipes for? Do you need them en route or can you grab some on arrival?
If you want to do a carry-on safari, you have to be ruthless about your gear.

No shorts??
Gators make a big difference and are nice even when wearing pants.
A Merino wool zip neck shirt will work great for hunting and layering.
I agree that one coat is enough. Get something with pit zips, that really helps in the between temperatures.
I am a big fan of Kuiu gear.
A Rick young bino harness is small and will work great.
I’d also add a petzel or black diamond headlamp.
I think this is totally doable.

McCreedy..........you may well be crazy, but it is unlikely that you are completely so, because your list is so well thought out. I have also thought of a no-luggage hunt, and only binocs and boots are a must have. Everything else I can get in Africa...........good thread..........thanks for posting.............FWB

I am thinking Eastern Cape, during the kudu rut (month of April or May). Electrical adapter is for the cell phone charger. I never ware shorts (no one wants to see my chicken legs). I would prefer comfortable pants for some protection from thorns, the sun, and bugs. I love the feedback so far, this seams doable if I pair down to only the necessities...

My primary care dr is a hunter and recommends doxycline v cipro ss it works for intestinal and cut issues. Take a z pak for respiratory issues. Forget camp socks. Wear one set of clothes including mid weight wool jacket. If so cold you need a heavy jacket can borrow one from PH and layer up, besides animals not very active if too cold. Have fun.

I like to have my own gun but more and more why draw attention and firearms are a hassle.That’s the way I’m doing it next!

You also get to take a personal item, like a small backpack.

While I really wouldn't want to be without a knife there are very few reasons that you would need one.

However if you mention it to your outfitter I an sure that they would stop at a shop so that you can pick one up.

On shopping we spent a few hours picking up supplies for a local school along with sports equipment and some first aid packs

You can easily do this with a backpack and a roller bag. You are, IMO, missing out on a big part of safari. That is getting your rifle and yourself ready for the epic adventure. I understand the idea but from my experience it is worth the trouble to take your gun and a checked bag. I’ve been all over the world with my rifle and sure there are concerns along the way but having all my gear is worth it! Get a travel agent, your gun, and go on safari!

I have done it, but wasn’t my choice, my bag didn’t arrive until end of hunt. I always pack enough to hunt for 2 days in my carry on. My hunt went good still just the same.
On your list, as others have said, a lot of the items are just as easily available in South Africa as they are at home, get them there or borrow them there. Items like sunscreen, flashlight, batteries for example. Just let your outfitter know your plan in advance. For your cell phone you don’t need a converter only an adapter to their power outlet. Here are photos of a grocery store in eastern cape, South Africa on March 15th this year, they still had toilet paper when there was none in the USA lol

B175EF3D-2B8A-4C05-9F01-1DB5440E3781.jpeg
4A0319D5-647C-4D36-A1B1-497740F34465.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
@shootist~ do you mean a man purse?....

One negative to carry on only is you don’t get to bring a knife. I bet a simple list of items could be readily purchased, but do you want to go shopping when jet lag has set in?
Mine is a 25L backpack, in addition to a small roll-on that counts as the carry-on.
But I still plan on taking a checked bag and gun case.

I too feel that my rifle is a huge part of the adventure. I guess you could save time on not having a checked bag. I personally have never waited more than 15 minutes for my bag. The gun that's another story ! We also bring back tons of trinkets from every trip. That takes more room. I see no reason your plan wouldn't work if that's what you wanted to do tho. Looks like you have it well planned out.

For trinkets you can always pick up a bag for the trip home.

I have done this a couple of times when I am traveling light to different countries.

On the rifle idea, I used my own rifle on my only hunt along with using a preapproved service with a meet and greet but I think if I go back I'll use the outfitters rifle

Sounds great, but have you tried packing all of those things into your carry - on? What about a day pack or bag? Are you planning to purchase a multi -purpose knife i.e. Leatherman or similar upon arrival then leave it? Depending on where and when you are hunting, mornings can be kind of chilly. Make sure you are covered. Consider wearing a good hunting vest on the plane. That will give you some pocket space afield. Take a look at some of the packing lists others have posted. Yours is a good start but don't compromise a good hunt for the lack of a checked bag.

Has anyone attempted an African hunting Safari with only a carry on piece of luggage? I am thinking I may want to attempt this. Am I crazy? Any advice would be appreciated. I would use my PH’s gun and travel light knowing laundry would be done daily. Clothes would be placed in space bags and all the air sucked out to reduce size. Here is my packing list, all of which must fit in 22 x 14 x 9 inch carry on (or worn):
  • Hunting boots – good ankle support lace-up boots
  • Boot bag
  • Camp shoes.
  • 3 Pair of hunting socks.
  • 3 Pair of camp socks.
  • 3 Pair of hunting pants (khaki, green, brown or camo).
  • 3 Pair of underwear.
  • 3 Hunting shirts (khaki, green, brown or camo).
  • 3 T-shirts.
  • 1 Light weight coat.
  • 1 Heavy coat.
  • 1 Hunting cap (safari).
  • 1 Stocking cap.
  • 1 Pair of leather gloves.
  • Rain gear.
  • Sunscreen, sunglasses, lip balm.
  • Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, tissues, etc).
  • Electrical adaptor and converter.
  • Ziplock space bags
  • Hand wipes
  • Bandaids
  • Neosporin
  • Eye drops,
  • Allergies medicine
  • General purpose antibiotic - cipro
  • Journal
  • Pencils
  • Black pens
  • USB cable
  • Charger phone
  • Shaver
  • Flashlight and extra batteries
  • Binoculars
  • Mosquito repellent
  • Camera, cell phone
  • Local money, cash
hey there

first off no better place to hunt kudu than limpopo!!!!

drop all the 3 ofs to 2 of if you getting laundry done daily then you are sorted
chat to your outfitter about usb cables, phone charger, adaptor, bandaids, pencils, pens, mosquito repellant and sunscreen, these are all in easy good supply in SA....really
light coat or heavy coat, choose one, check the weather at time of your hunt
wear your boots on the flight
rain gear for winter in limpopo is just wishful thinking

i reckon i just dropped the space you need by at least a 3rd

anything else feel free to ask

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,