Carmor Plains Sold

BenKK

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2...y-carmor-plains-bought-by-malaysians/11129848

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 5.57.07 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Shame, it was a lovely place.

Legitimizing some dodgy money perhaps! Wonder what that means for hunting?

I had no idea there was any legal croc hunting in Australia.

The amount of buffalo at this place was simply amazing. Probably saw 150 every day.

It's definitely a shame! I hunted there in 2015, and was amazed at how many buffalo he had. And Matt is a great guy too. I wanted to hunt there again, but it's over now.

Surprised he sold the place. Why did he sell? Losing custom? (n)

A couple of snippets.

Previous owners, the Kelman family, ran a safari hunting lodge at Carmor Plains, where mainly international tourists paid to shoot buffalo, pigs and even crocodiles.

Their business, Australia Wide Safari, was one of the few tourism operators with a licence to catch and harvest saltwater crocodiles for their skulls and skin.

Australia Wide Safari was not included in the sale, neither were the Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus Rex skulls that sat in the homestead foyer.

Included in the sale are approximately 2,500 head of buffalo, which have been an integral part of the property over the past decade plus plant and equipment.
A further feature of the property is an upmarket 2 story safari lodge with pool and gazebo. 3 guest cabins with ensuites. There is also a three bedroom managers cottage in excellent condition, 25 x 15 hay shed, 18 x 15 aircraft hangar, 40 x 10 workshop, storage and parking bay. a further 4 bay parking shed, a 12 x 12 refrigerated work shed. Steel cattle yards to hold 4,000 buffalo or cattle and a 1,300 meter all weather airstrip are also included.

I had no idea there was any legal croc hunting in Australia.

There isn’t, it’s just ABC article following their classic: “never state 100% correct information about anything hunting or firearms related” policy.

Some station managers are able to obtain permits to cull certain crocodiles, and in this case they had permission to bring observers who could then purchase and export the hides and skulls with all the proper paperwork. These observers were not allowed to conduct the shooting themselves.

Some station managers are able to obtain permits to cull certain crocodiles, and in this case they had permission to bring observers who could then purchase and export the hides and skulls with all the proper paperwork. These observers were not allowed to conduct the shooting themselves.
Yeah ok I'd heard of that being the case but not people hunting them themselves. That's typical reporting though in this country.

Does anybody know what Matt and Sheree will be doing now? The did not strike me as city dwellers.

I grew up and lived in the cities all my life with the exception of the time spent at sea. To me this piece of land they owned was like a paradise. I suggested to my wife we buy a property in QLD or NT and live away from big smoke but she was not interested. I couldn’t understand why, who wouldn't want this in their yard...

Carmor Plains Lodge pool
P4020029.JPG

Last edited:
When talking to his Dad he told me he built and flew a scaled down kit Spitfire. Perhaps he wants to own the real thing now?

Does anybody know what Matt and Sheree will be doing now? The did not strike me as city dwellers.

I grew up and lived in the cities all my life with the exception of the time spent at sea. To me this piece of land they owned was like a paradise. I suggested to my wife we buy a property in QLD or NT and live away from big smoke but she was not interested. I couldn’t understand why, who wouldn't want this in their yard...

Carmor Plains Lodge pool
View attachment 284740
Matt is no longer with Sheree. I think he's got a new gal now.

Does anyone know what the new owners intend to do with the property and or the "huntable" animals it contains?

Does anyone know what the new owners intend to do with the property and or the "huntable" animals it contains?

"ABC Rural understands SEDC intends to use the property to fatten their Rosewood Station cattle before export and intend to harvest some of the 2,500 buffalo included in the sale for export."

I’d say they sold because they were offered more than it might make at normal market value. I don’t blame them but it’s common in Western NSW for property values to be driven up by big investors. This makes people consider selling when they might not have .
It also makes it difficult for owner operators to get a start. Property prices in some places have been inflated past the point of making it viable if you require a large secured loan and overdraft. If you can pay outright and pay for improvements to manage the property more efficiently then you get cashflow to continue, it’s not viable for most but if you are blue to tie the money up then you still reap rewards long term. Or in this case perhaps build an empire.
And bugger I have looked at their offerings previously but could really afford the hunt at the time. I hope the new owners do offer this in future.

I spoke with Matt a year or so ago and he got hammered by a Cape buffalo in Africa on a then recent hunt. He had to stay over there in a hospital for quite some time. He did end up shooting two buffalo and a bunch of plains game though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg