CAPSTICK Hunting The White Rhino

jaeger

AH member
Reaction score
Media
What can be said about Capstick that hasn't already been said? Nothing much i dare say. But he's the one man responsable for getting me into the Africa side of things and i suspect i'm not on my own there.

Produced in the late 1980's there is something of a nostalgic feel to it, even though probably there's more Rhino about today. (For the time being anyway!). We watch as broadcaster Ken Wilson tries to get his first Rhino, shooting a .375. The PH, Wilson and Capstick, together with his 'Beret' and monacle, stalk close to several bulls before finally choosing the unlucky individual. The shot placement isn't good, but that's what can happen with the adrenalin runs high.

At the start of the DVD there is a very good piece of film on the saving of the white rhino, the capture and subsequent relocation of them. Its very good and well worth a watch. But, if I'm honest, this DVD is not about the Rhino, or the shooting of such, its about Capstick. His tales and his mannerisms. The way he 'hams it up' going through the long grass and bush. You can tell he's a consummate professional at building up drama. And i must confess i love every damn moment of it!

You can find these DVD cheap on Ebay as well as all the other DVD's in the series and i recommend the whole lot of them.

Capstick at his best!

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks jaeger.

I have the full set as well. To be honest, it kinda ruined Capstick for me. In my mind I had built this figure up from reading his books. When he talked on the video you could clearly tell you had better have your rubber boots on as it was getting pretty thick. To each his own, and I am glad to see someone posting reviews...it's just that the Capstick in books was better for me than the Capstick on screen.

Reactions: V42
I agree..his books were awesome. I have all the old Capstick series on VHS. He does make it more drama, and as far as his old sidekick Gordon Gundill....well............look up pompous in the dictionary. Watch the one were he hunts elephant. I will say though, he's responsible for me wanting to hunt Africa. I give him credit for that. Still have his books and video.

I sold all of my Capstick books except two. Most of my Africa library is going or gone as I'm getting old. Great reads and memories. I still have his videos. His videos and Sullivan's are the only hunt videos I own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross