Cape Eland & Livingstone Eland Pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_20200206_183717.jpg

Namibia feb 2020

084E04FB-5854-4129-A23C-5BFEE080698D.jpeg

2018 East Cape, SA
I took this bull after spooking him and his buddies the day before. Uphill stalk and taken with my Blaser R-8 in .300 WSM. 1st shot on right side just aft of fore leg; 2nd shot quartering away (seen forward of left rear leg).

Check this tank!

full

I took my first Eland last September. What a truly magnificent and regal beast. Fell in love the moment I saw one. Two observations (1) for me, the hunt was just as exciting and more challenging than Buff. Now, there isn’t the same level of danger / death potential but I found them to be more skittish and the stalks were, on average, longer and through worse terrain. Clearly this is based on only my 10 day pursuit, so small sample size. (2) I naively didn’t realize that the old “gray bulls” were actually gray because their hair was worn off and it’s just bald skin. Not because they turn gray or get darker as they age. Learn something new every day.

Based on how much I enjoyed everything about this animal, I will absolutely work to complete the Eland slam in the future.

Livingstone’s Eland in the Selous
2021-01-22 (2).png

Attachments

• IMG_4093.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 179
Last edited by a moderator:
I went on my first African hunt April 2021 and eland wasn’t even on my list of animals to hunt, and please excuse my ignorance but I never knew that they were such a sought after trophy. I was only looking to hunt a sable and kudu.
We rounding a clearing and saw 3 cape eland, and 1 was down in a salt lick. My PH said the one in the salt lick would be a good bull. We waited for him to get up and I was actually going to pass on him because I never thought of eland as being a trophy.
The bull got up and my PH said he’s a monster and I was still going to pass on him but I asked if he was really a good shooter. “Yes he is and I would shoot him if I wasn’t with a client.” Ok, let’s take him.
I made a well placed shot on him but he got up after 10 minutes and trotted off. We tracked him until night and found him the next morning.
He was an old blue bull, blue dewlap, black fringe, thick bosses and 38”/38.5” horn length. He passed over night and jackels ate his eye and started on his rump. My disappointment is that I was unable to capture a final picture of him in all of his splendor. I have a new respect for hunting eland, and cannot wait to go on another eland hunt.

3E7746E3-4D70-4D9F-A36E-238289A8CBF7.jpeg
E68725DA-5864-49EF-BBE9-22FC3CC3C52A.jpeg

NTH, that is a huge eland! Congratulations!

Reactions: NTH
Maybe it's because I live in Alaska and am accustomed to shooting large animals like moose...but something intrigues me about Eland. I'm looking forward to hunting one this July when I head back to RSA. And those eland steaks on the brai are awesome! Anyone else planning on arrowing a big one this year?
View attachment 26163 View attachment 26162 View attachment 26164

Eland Anyone?

Please share your Cape Eland or Livingstone Eland pictures and stories in this thread...
I feel much the same way. I have killed one in Namibia, but would love to hunt them again. I've no interest in the 'Tiny Ten' or even such animals as Steenbuck. Be like shooting a whitetail fawn. Good luck!

Livingston Eland Mozambique

full

full

full

full

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois