AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
Hi All,
I am a little bored waiting for my flight to Vegas so I thought I would post this question:
What's every ones thoughts on using the Marlin lever guide gun in 45-70 Govt. for free range Cape Buffalo?
Any thoughts or opinions appreciated.
Thanks

Well there are few long winded posts on the subject. I'm not too computer savy but Jerome and Brickburn are the experts.
My too cents again, its quite possible to kill one. There are certainly bullets out there that will do it. Legality is a whole different subject, most places you should have a 375 H&H or 9.3x62 at a minimum. I have plenty of friends that took them with bow and arrow, frankly anything is possible if you are patient and skilled hunter.

Possible but not recommended.

Possible particularly at closer range.

If it buff number 30 or something like that yea then I would start playing around. But if you have ltd experience why put you and your PH in a potentiality self made dangerous situation.

To paraphrase @velodog, you could probably kill one with a frozen herring but whats the point??

are we all really going to go there again.............
upload_2017-1-28_19-44-18.png
:E Doh:

Well I guess I'm pretty crappy at searching as I didn't find the other threads, so I apologise for going down this well worn path so if one of the moderators wants to delete this one, go for it.

Well I guess I'm pretty crappy at searching as I didn't find the other threads, so I apologise for going down this well worn path so if one of the moderators wants to delete this one, go for it.

There is so much info on this site that I suspect there are very few issues that have not been debated already. I don't think there is a problem bringing it up again. (y).

@cls not a problem i am totally crap on these things but just put in search thing 45-70 for buffalo and it all came up ...;).....and yes you can shoot a buffalo with a 45-70 with the correct bullet etc its been done .......never done it but have a brockman custom one apparently when i remember ..as @Royal27 will love reminding me! and would use it if it wasnt in another continent and had the chance to on buff. would i use it on a follow up... no but it would be better than something smaller.....plenty buff been shot with smaller cals with lighter bullets, and if in the right place there is no drama. seen more buff out of the relative few i have seen shot go down with one shot with .375 h&h than bigger cals............must have been in the right place.......so if you already in vegas you must be warmed up by now! ;) come to the aurora bar in the luxor lobby mon night for a beer ...subject to any delays etc..:D Beers:

@cls not a problem i am totally crap on these things but just put in search thing 45-70 for buffalo and it all came up ...;).....and yes you can shoot a buffalo with a 45-70 with the correct bullet etc its been done .......never done it but have a brockman custom one apparently when i remember ..as @Royal27 will love reminding me! and would use it if it wasnt in another continent and had the chance to on buff. would i use it on a follow up... no but it would be better than something smaller.....plenty buff been shot with smaller cals with lighter bullets, and if in the right place there is no drama. seen more buff out of the relative few i have seen shot go down with one shot with .375 h&h than bigger cals............must have been in the right place.......so if you already in vegas you must be warmed up by now! ;) come to the aurora bar in the luxor lobby mon night for a beer ...subject to any delays etc..:D Beers:

You really should just leave that rifle at my house since you don'teven remember you have it most of the time. And, since it's a lever gun it's really left handed and will fit be better anyway. :E Big Grin:

You really should just leave that rifle at my house since you don'teven remember you have it most of the time. And, since it's a lever gun it's really left handed and will fit be better anyway. :E Big Grin:

couldnt do that to you as had the ejection designed to eject straight back from the chamber........otherwise would have loved to :p:E Rofl:

Marlin made some great lever actions before they were bought out.

If it buff number 30 or something like that yea then I would start playing around. But if you have ltd experience why put you and your PH in a potentiality self made dangerous situation.

Agreed. Would also not be legal in al countries and would not be regarded as sporting or ethical. Respect the animal and hunt it with a caliber it deserves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.