Cape Buffalo thrills Tourists With Rare Birth Sighting

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
8987f125bc284158b86ad0f2ddee6e47 (1).png

Cape Town - Tourist in the Kruger National Park were treated to a once-in-a-lifetime sighting when a Cape Buffalo - one of the iconic Big 5 - gave birth right in front of them!

Morné Hamlyn, a field guide and lodge manager in the Kruger National Park shared a rare sighting with wildlife game-viewing and tracking app, Latest Sightings.

According to Hamlyn, it was "fantastic to experience this out in the wild. Sharing it with guests made it even better," he says.

The incident played out as his group tracked down a large herd of Cape Buffalo close to a thicket next to a dry riverbed.

"When we approached we noticed one female standing to the side with back legs slightly apart. We noticed the feet of the baby and decided to wait it out."

"Emotions were high... from excitement to nervous tension," Hamlyn recalls. The sun was setting fast, and the group was worried that hyenas might get the scent of the newborn.

Describing it as the most rare moment of his career he says, "I have been guiding for nearly 14 years and it was the first and only birth in nature I witnessed.

"We waited until the calf stood and drank for the first time, then we left as it was getting dark..."

Source: Traveller24

Thanks for posting.

I think I've seen this once before. Is this it?

I had this same opportunity in a farm named Aurora in the Limpopo, RSA.

We stopped the bakkie to see it, and immediately all the males in the herd made a line between us and the female giving birth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross