Cape Buffalo meat

BigJohnx13

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Can you eat the meat of a buffalo. Is it very tough. If so what can you do with it like biltong, sausage, steak etc.

If a doe/cow of plains game had a miscarriage is the meat still good for human consumption or is it contaminated some how

We ate meat from my buffalo, they cut out the fillets and they were very good!

the young bulls and cows offer softer and nicer meat , as a hunter you will more than often take an older Dagga boy .

however the fillets are still very good.

+3 on the fillets ... another hunter in camp harvested an old bull and we had some wonderful steaks.

his oxtail -soup was wonderful

First question seems sane, the second.... not so much. :A Bonk:

If a doe/cow of plains game had a miscarriage is the meat still good for human consumption or is it contaminated some how

I would assume the meat from the mother would be good as the body discharges or absorbs the dead fetus.... I'm no vet, but can't imagine that it would somehow poison the meat or make it taste any different. :A Outta:

Buffalo tail soup sounds awesome!!!

Had buffalo tail soup, filets of buffalo and meat balls made with buffalo, delicious was an understatement. My meals in both South Africa and Zimbabwe while in hunting camp have been nothing short of 5 star. Tasted meat from just about every animal I shot. The cooks were better than any chef's in this country!

Hello BigJohnx13,

Answer to Question 1. All the game animals I have eaten from, including the buffalo shown in my avatar were outstanding table fare.

Regarding Question 2. What-thehell would prompt you to even think of such a thing?

Out,
Velo Dog.

I guess my question would be (other than why did you ask this question) "What caused the miscarriage in the first place?" To cause an abortion in the first place, something has to be terribly wrong.....infection (either viral or bacterial), dead fetus, etc. In NO instance would I consider partaking in any such 'table fare".
....or are we making a mistake in assuming that you are talking about eating the fetus, and instead are talking about the mother? In that case, I still wouldn't (knowingly) partake in consuming the meat, for the same reasons..............

Yea second question is odd... And aborted fetus could be cause by a lot of different things. Many could be a result of the mother being sick, but not all. It goes back to health of the animal. If it is sick and especially feverish... Stay away and let the hyenas and vultures have it.

Hello BigJohnx13,

Answer to Question 1. All the game animals I have eaten from, including the buffalo shown in my avatar were outstanding table fare.

Regarding Question 2. What-thehell would prompt you to even think of such a thing?

Out,
Velo Dog.
Agree about #2. Something goofy here!

Hi to all wrt to question no 2.

A family member will have the opportunity very soon to shoot two buffalo cows. According to the land owner this is the 2nd year that both cows have a miscarriage and that the reason why he wants to get rid of the cows. Half of the meat of one cows was offered to me at a very reasonable price. I just need to know if it make sense to purchase the meat.

Thanks

If it has been a while since they miscarried and as long as they look healthy, I would not be too worried about it. As with any wild meat that may have parasites, etc. just cook it thoroughly.

I would rather put my cash into a good piece of beef.

image.jpg

This young man is Leonard. He was our camp cook. He took the tenderloins and cut two inch thick steaks out. Then he placed them in a deep pan and promptly poured a two liter bottle of coke in on top. He sealed them up and stuck them in the ice box for a day then he cooked them over an open grill. Man they were good! Would love to eat that again.

Coke must be one of the best things to tenderize meat.

Agree with Simon - coke is probably the best tenderiser you can use. Buff fillets are delicious! I prefer the scotch fillet myself :)

I prefer the scotch with the fillet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.