Cape Buffalo: Low horn tip aesthetic?

BenKK

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
I’m not completely sure of the right terminology to use, but I’m hoping to learn from members about the Cape buffalo aesthetic I admire most (after age / solid boss), which is that the horn tips protrude no higher than the boss and preferably lower. Perhaps the terminology is drop or deep curl. Is this simply a genetic thing, and, if so, how prevalent is this gene? As I begin to contemplate a buffalo hunt I see a wide range of head gear, some with high tips, some flush, some low - the best (to me) worn or busted. Thank you in advance for the education!

Genetics of course dictates how wide, how much of a curl and how thick a bulls horns are. As the buffalo matures with age the tips drop lower and wear down. Some old bulls will have tips that are lower some will have tips that are higher than the boss. Thus it is not the sole predictor of age. Most ph’s use the bosses characteristics in total including the presence of hair between the boss to estimate age of the bull. As for percentage of bulls with lower than boss horns I cannot guess. But I will agree I like them as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg